Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally watched this film in its entirety tonight. I was very underwhelmed. First of all with the casting. Keanu wasn't as bad as I expected but Winona Ryder? She's supposed to be his Romanian bride; couldn't they have gotten someone a bit less American looking? Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman were perfect though.

I kept comparing this film to Murnau's silent epic Nosferatu for pretty much I found his film to be better in just about every facet of the story. I liked the idea of Dracula's shadow being its own entity while it was kinda creepy at first it quickly became a parody of itself. I thought Murnau was able to make it much more creepier even now after seeing it 85 years since it came out.

I want to bring up the special effects only because they were so horrid. The make up and costumes while Oldman was old Drac was great as was the giant bat and werewolf. However, everything else made this film look like it was made in the '70s.

There was a lot of homage to Nosferatu in this film. The blu-ray is the only version I've seen and I'm quite aware of the controversy regarding the colors. I can certainly understand why the colors should be there. Murnau's film is either a very strong blue or a very bright gold and I could see why Coppola would try to mimic that look. However, the film only shows bold tints in the very beginning.

Perhaps I would have been more impressed if I saw the film back in 1992 but seeing it now for the first time I was very unimpressed.
Old 01-15-08, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's my favorite telling of the Dracula story on film, other than the Lugosi version. Dracula (1992) has some mild flaws, to be sure, but it has definitely grown on me over the years since it's release (I saw it in theaters originally).
Old 01-15-08, 07:14 AM
Suspended

Mina is not Harker's Romanian bride just because she goes to Romania to marry him. She's English. And it was a perfectly fine film until the latest transfer which is so dark it makes the film incomprehensible.
Old 01-15-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its a fantastic film! Probably one of the most excitingly visual movies ive ever seen. Theres so many images from that movie that stick out and stay with you. Sure like zombiezilla said, its has some minor flaws, but its great nonetheless. Gary Oldman was incredible in the role!
Old 01-15-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What do I think? I think A+.

Superb movie. Masterpiece.

Soundtrack...cinematography...storyline...costumes...set designs..pace..editing...everything. Keanu's performance is less than optimal but what the heck...doesn't change much.

One of my favorite movies.

Spoiler:
One of my favorite scenes/shots is the end scene where Dracula lays dying, with Mina at her side. She helps kill him. And the last shot we see - right after this - is the ceiling painting of from back then where Dracula wept by the dead princess' side. Absolutely beautiful.
Old 01-15-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"We've all become God's madmen. All of us."

Spoiler:
A few more thoughts on things:

You have to appreciate the characters. Van Helsing and the 3 men will travel to the end of the world to help & save her. What was their motivation? Van Helsing was motivated IMO by his obsession with Dracula and occult science.
His husband, well, was his husband. But what about the Texan Quincy and the two others?

It's a beautiful movie and moving storyline.

Gary Oldman is great. Anthony Hopkins is perfect for the part.

Spoiler:

Old 01-15-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
One of my favorite movies. The acting of Keanu and Winona have always been the drawback for me but not enough to bring the entire movie down.
Old 01-15-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love it. The cinematography is lusciously dark. The acting is great across the board, especially Oldman and Hopkins. Everything about the film shows exquisite detail, from the set design to the costumes. I still need to pick up the new SE becasue this is one of my favorite adaptations of the Dracula story, and one of the best vamp films out there. I remember when this came out in theaters, I was in 6th grade and the "big thing" was to sneak in to see it. I was never able to but everyone that did told me how awesome it was. When I finally did see it, I agreed.
Old 01-15-08, 11:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rexinnih
One of my favorite movies. The acting of Keanu and Winona have always been the drawback for me but not enough to bring the entire movie down.
I agree Keanu's acting isn't great - watching the Criterion laserdisc with the ability to edit a sequence together with alternate delivery lines is precious, cause you can see him straining with each line.

as for the film - I really dug it - the overflourishing of the costume/art design and early 5.1 Dolby Digital soundmix are exemplory. Too bad the bluray is flawed, but that a different's topic
Old 01-15-08, 11:12 AM

Haven't seen it since it first came out. Thought it was visually stunning in the theater, but the story and the acting were dreadful.

Very disappointed.
Old 01-15-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

I want to bring up the special effects only because they were so horrid. The make up and costumes while Oldman was old Drac was great as was the giant bat and werewolf. However, everything else made this film look like it was made in the '70s.
That was kind of the point...Coppola didn't want to use any modern effects - he wanted to use effects/methods that were "old school" for lack of a better term.
Old 01-15-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great movie. Winona was the hawt in the movie. Sure, she barely acted but hey, Oldman did enough overacting for four or five actors.
Old 01-15-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I want to bring up the special effects only because they were so horrid.
The discovery on how they were handled (On Disc 2) grabbed much respect for me. Anyone could be fooled that a majority of the effects are optical when they are not.
Old 01-15-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting replies I'll have to check out the extras on the effects.