Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the media player abilities of the 360 vs. ps3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-14-08, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the media player abilities of the 360 vs. ps3? Specifically, abilities and limitations of playing back mp4 files from an external hard drive.

For the 360, I know it's stereo sound, 4gb limit, no selectable audio tracks or subtitles.
For the ps3, all I know is the 2gb limit.

Anyone care to expound on this?
Old 01-15-08, 08:54 PM

I don't think that's right at all. Both systems use fat32 for external drives. That means both have a 4gb limit. You can stream from a computer or laptop to both eliminating that problem, though. Other than that I don't know for sure about PS3 cause I don't own one.

The 360 plays wmv and divx now. Also, if the file is encoded with 5.1 surround it will play as such. Same with subtitles, but you may be right about selecting different ones. I'm going to have to look into it.

Only thing I could think of for PS3 is that if you install Linux OS I suppose you could play any files that it supports with no limitations at all.
Old 01-16-08, 12:17 AM

Well, here's what I've found on mp4 support:

360:
  • 4 gb file size limitation
  • 2-channel AAC support, no 5.1 (5.1 on wmv files)
  • embedded artwork supported
  • no support for menus, subtitles, & multiple audio tracks

Info on ps3 support is hard to find..

ps3:
  • 2 gb file size limitation
  • ??symbols in filename not supported??
  • 5.1-channel AAC support
  • ??embedded artwork supported??
  • ??no support for menus, subtitles, & multiple audio tracks??

My brother moved and took his 360 with him. I've encoded part of his dvd library onto an external drive, since he couldn't take them with him. Also, a large chunk of his library are anime, but I haven't started on them because I haven't figured out how to encode them with subtitles burnt in.

I've continued encoding the dvds, but I want to get a replacement system to play them and would like to know what the best options are. I'm just looking at putting them on an external and not setting up WMP 11 or TVersity atm. The TV is not HD, but would be replaced next Christmas. The main user would be my dad. Some info on him; claims he doesn't see the visual difference between vhs & dvd. Watches a lot of tv, but other than L&O, has no other favorites and channel surfs a lot. When watching a movie on cable that we own, doesn't want to put the dvd in to watch that instead. Has a bunch of dvds, but doesn't really want to get up and put them in to watch them. Only knows how to use the basic functions of the remote. Oh, and he wants to build an HTPC, just because he wants to build another computer

Currently, I've been encoding movies at 2,000 kbps and stereo sound. File sizes range up to 2.4 gb @ ~.85gb per hour.

Of the 60 movies I've encoded, 16 are over 2gb. If I changed the sound to 5.1, ~25 would be over 2gb, forcing me to re-encode them with a lower kbps if I bought a ps3. The other's I could remux with 5.1 as I've got the separate video and audio streams on a backup.

Pluses for the 360 would be 4gb limit and game play. Minuses would be no selectable subs and audio tracks.

Pluses for the ps3 would be 5.1 audio and blu-ray support. Minuses are the 2gb limit and unknown limitations on media playback.

Thoughts?