Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scarface question: Whats up with the sister?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was there any explanation.... was it just rage or incest or just big brother watching over her?
Old 01-14-08, 10:58 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Spoiler:
Tony was ultra protective, but probably also had feelings for her that he never knew how to deal with those feelings.
Old 01-14-08, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it was 2 things - Tony being ultra protective but also being ultra controlling. He felt a need to control everything in his life and world, including his little sister. The whole movie is about his lust for control and power and it obviously getting the best of him.
Old 01-14-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this is along the lines of what I was talking about in that thread I started in the Other forum, about people looking far too deep for meanings of art forms. It wasn't anything about incest or anything like that. It was just the character being exactly what you would expect from the character, given everything we knew about the guy. As Jray said, it was just him being ultra protective and ultra controlling, since that was a huge part of his character, and therefore every aspect of his life, all the way to his sister.
Old 01-14-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm leaning towards a theory of incest, and I don't think I'm looking too deeply to come to that conclusion. Her dialogue in the final scene with Tony pretty much clinches it for me.
Old 01-14-08, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rennervision
I'm leaning towards a theory of incest, and I don't think I'm looking too deeply to come to that conclusion. Her dialogue in the final scene with Tony pretty much clinches it for me.
...Naaaahhhh, she's just trying to piss him off because of "Tony being ultra controlling" (as Jray put it so well).
Old 01-14-08, 07:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
...Naaaahhhh, she's just trying to piss him off because of "Tony being ultra controlling" (as Jray put it so well).
I agree, it's not what she says, but Tony's reaction to the her that leads to the conclusion that Tony is maybe a bit more than just a control freak.
Old 01-14-08, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I agree, it's not what she says, but Tony's reaction to the her that leads to the conclusion that Tony is maybe a bit more than just a control freak.
I haven't watched it in a very long time, but the incest angle is obvious in the 1932 version with Paul Muni. I haven't watched the Pacino one in a long time, either, and I don't remember how it played out there, but it seemed similar.

Last edited by Breton; 01-15-08 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It could also be that Tony saw her as a pure, virginal figure that was the only untainted thing in his life. When she hooked up with the guy in the club, did drugs and, finally, married Manolo Tony saw that as her becoming more like himself, and he didn't want to let that happen. He wanted her to remain as good as her remembered her.