Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

CGC'ing: Explain the pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CGC'ing: Explain the pricing

Hey Guys/Girls,

I just checked out the website on these 'slabbings' and was really wondering if these are really that exspensive when you are sending out titles that are pre-bronze age - over $250.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/services_and_fees.asp

From what it looks like they charge you a percentage of 'fmv/Fair Market Value' on bigger tier/key issue titles.

So in the long run you could pay upward in the four digits just to have your books graded?

Am I wrong on this, reading it wrong, just plain stupid, etc. - Please explain!
Old 01-14-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some dudes decided to set up a business they sold to the comic book industry as the end all of comic book grading and charge arbitrary prices and capitalize on the collector's market. And laugh their asses all the way to the bank in the mean time. They sell you two cents worth of plastic for a butt load of cash. Oh, yeah, and you can't ever look at or actually touch your comic book again or that grading will go right out the window.

And I assume all entropy stops once that comic book is sealed in that slab because that's a forever grade, as far as I can tell. Or do they put expiration dates on the grades? If I was them, I'd put expiration dates on the grades to drum up repeat business.

The pricing? Entirely arbitrary.
Old 01-14-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From further inspection on the forum boards at CGC, it shows that you have to change out the paper that they place inbetween the front cover and the back cover every 7-8 years from my understand it cost you $11.00 to get that done.