Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AMC ReAiring "Mad Men"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMC ReAiring "Mad Men"

I missed it the first time around.. so I'm hoping to catch it this time.

AMC
Old 01-13-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Definetly will try to catch it this time around.
Old 01-13-08, 06:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Same here...have heard nothing but great things about this show.
Old 01-13-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best show on TV!
Old 01-13-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to check it out the last time they re-aired it but they followed up the first episode with the fourth episode so I dropped it.
Old 01-13-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I tried to check it out the last time they re-aired it but they followed up the first episode with the fourth episode so I dropped it.
I hope they don't do that this time. With the strike you would think they wouldn't. Fox did that last season with 24. New fans were not happy.
Old 01-13-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
John Hamm just won a Golden Globe! (He plays Don).
Old 01-13-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it, but it takes a while to get into.
Old 01-13-08, 08:30 PM

With bonus points for the super-hot Christina Hendricks, I might rate this show 7/10. It's rather dull and the characters are completely unlikeable. It's nowhere close to being the best show on TV, IMO.
Old 01-13-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Christina Hendricks gets a big from me as well. I tend to agree about it being dull and having unlikeable characters though.
Old 01-13-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind I have only watched one episode and plan to watch them all.

I thought it was techincally excellent, but it lack a little humanity and the running joke of "Look how goofy things were back then" gets old. Strong cast with an uninspired script. Granted most pilots spend a lot of time introducing characters and settings and save the real drama for later episodes.
Old 01-13-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just keep watching, the subtext just builds and builds with each episode, we are looking at ourselves through this time capsule of a show.
Old 01-13-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, more Golden Globe love as the show picks up a GG for Best TV Drama.
Old 01-13-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Just keep watching, the subtext just builds and builds with each episode, we are looking at ourselves through this time capsule of a show.

Yep, this show is all about the subject. I find myself ruminating about each episode for days afterwards. This show makes me wish I was still back in college; it is the kind of show I would have written papers about dissecting everything. That is why I think this the best show on TV. No other show currently on the air makes me think like this show does.

Awesome about the Golden Globe wins!
I am watching the announcement show right now but haven't gotten that far yet!

So happy, but I feel bad for the show's creators & cast for missing out on the award ceremony. They deserved to get attention for this, to get more people to watch this incredible series.
Old 01-13-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I meant to watch this but I missed the first couple so I decided to wait. I may just wait for the DVD instead of watching the re-airings.
Old 01-13-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
So happy, but I feel bad for the show's creators & cast for missing out on the award ceremony. They deserved to get attention for this, to get more people to watch this incredible series.
My thought as well. They really got screwed here.

Wanna echo the Christina Hendricks love. She really is perfect on this show.
Old 01-13-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so glad that Mad Men won. Too bad the award show was so anti-climactic.

Anyways, the Mad Men repeat episodes will be airing after "Breaking Bad", a new series.
Old 01-13-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I regretted missing this and contented myself to wait for it on dvd. But since no release has been announced, I'll be setting my tivo.
Old 01-20-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all set to record this tonight. Sorry I missed it the first time around. With the good press it's gotten and the fact it has "Our Mrs. Reynolds", I owe it to myself to check it out.
Old 01-20-08, 12:23 PM

Best show on TV!
Quoted for truth.
Old 01-20-08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nabalab
I'm so glad that Mad Men won. Too bad the award show was so anti-climactic.

Anyways, the Mad Men repeat episodes will be airing after "Breaking Bad", a new series.
Breaking Bad sounds interesting.
Old 01-21-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, with all the excellent word of mouth on this show, coupled with the Golden Globe win, I'm recording all episodes and see if all the kudos are deserved .

I downloaded the pilot from iTunes, so I'll catch up on the remaining shows from AMC.
Old 01-28-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, this show is all about the subject. I find myself ruminating about each episode for days afterwards. This show makes me wish I was still back in college; it is the kind of show I would have written papers about dissecting everything. That is why I think this the best show on TV. No other show currently on the air makes me think like this show does.

Awesome about the Golden Globe wins!
I am watching the announcement show right now but haven't gotten that far yet!

It was this post that made me decide to give the show a try, and I'm glad I did. This show is really fantastic! I'm a sucker for the style of the time period, so that alone is enjoyable. Seeing those dresses and suits, just does something for me. But outside of that, I just find the setting for the show to be really interesting and original. I'm on episode four so far, and I agree that a lot of the characters are unlikeable, but I think "gray area" the characters lives in makes the show compelling. Don and Peggy both have issues, but I still find I'm rooting for them. Pete Campbell is just a dick though. A lot of that is because Vincent Kartheiser just seems so damn smarmy, which has worked in the favor of the two characters I've seen him play.

This is one of those shows where I just really want to see what's going to happen. Good stuff and good times.

And that Christina Hendricks? Good lord! She is the stuff dreams are made of. And to be fair, I also, have a man-crush on Don. I admit it and I'm not ashamed.
Old 01-28-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only seen one episode so far and I don't think he was in it......

Chris Allport Dead

The body of veteran character actor Christopher Allport is found near Wrightwood, the third such death. A missing snowboarder is found. More rain is expected.
By Victoria Kim, Margot Roosevelt and David Haldane, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
January 27, 2008
The leading edge of what forecasters said could be the most powerful storm of the season blanketed Southern California on Saturday night, dropping moderate to heavy rain from Orange County to Ventura and promising even heavier downpours today.

But as the region braced for the latest deluge, authorities said they had recovered the body of a third avalanche victim from last week's snowstorm near the Mountain High ski resort in the San Gabriel Mountains, and a young snowboarder was rescued unharmed after a night outside.

A steady soaking rain began falling late Saturday across much of Southern California, including Los Angeles, Ventura and Orange counties, raising concerns that the area's fragile hills, charred in last year's wildfires, could start to slide.

The National Weather Service said heavy rain, thunderstorms and hail could hit the Southland, with a flash flood watch in effect through tonight and winds up to 35 mph. "We have a big band of storms coming in," said Bill Hoffer, a spokesman for the weather service in Oxnard.

Authorities, including rescue personnel, were keeping a wary eye on the storm, but only moderate precipitation had fallen by late Saturday.

"The bottom line is, you never know the full effect of a storm until it really hits and comes on shore," said Gary Boze, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Public Works Department. "This is a storm season that will last into February, and each time a storm hits we're even more prepared. No one ever knows until it actually hits land."

A helicopter crew Saturday rescued a 24-year-old snowboarder who had become stranded in rugged terrain after snowboarding off-trail near Mountain High ski resort. Officials said Oscar R. Gonzalez of Westminster had hunkered down for the night in the fuselage of an abandoned aircraft.

In an interview, his father, Oscar J. Gonzales, said his son, an experienced snowboarder, had kept his mind focused on his 5-month-old daughter despite the 22-degree cold.

"He said he thought that if he went to sleep, he wouldn't wake up," said the father, who waited at a Mountain High first-aid station while helicopters combed the slopes in search of his son, finally finding him in an open field.

Near Mountain High, a ski resort in the Wrightwood area on the eastern edge of Los Angeles County, the avalanche victim was identified as Christopher Allport, 60, a veteran character actor from Santa Monica.

An experienced backcountry sportsman, he had been skiing out of bounds from the resort, northeast of Los Angeles, with a friend, according to John Johnston, an L.A. County reserve sheriff's deputy. His body was found under 10 feet of snow about 9:45 a.m.

Out-of-bounds areas are clearly marked, but Mountain High employees do not have the authority to stop skiers from going beyond cleared slopes because the resort is located in the Angeles National Forest, according to resort President Karl Kapuscinski.

Those who knew him recalled Allport, a musician as well as an actor, as a passionate adventurer.

"He would surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon," said his friend Jordan Roberts. "He was knowledgeable in every conceivable outdoor activity."

Allport -- whose credits include the TV series "Mad Men," "Commander-in-Chief," "CSI: Miami" and "Felicity" -- had written a story for The Times in 2004 about the pleasures of powder.

"With backcountry savvy, the right equipment, survival skills and a sense of adventure, skilled mountain hands can leave the masses behind and experience the freedom and solitude of the wilderness in winter," he wrote.

But, he added: "Any excursion into the mountains requires awareness. . . . Know your limits and ski within them."

Despite the tragic accidents, the 3 feet of fresh powder from Friday's snowstorm attracted more than 7,000 skiers to the Mountain High resort Saturday, even as the skies clouded over under the threat of renewed precipitation. Forecasters said the new storm could bring another 1 to 2 feet of snow to areas above 7,000 feet by Monday, with 4 to 10 inches of additional snow on local mountains above 5,000 feet, areas that already have several feet of snow on the ground.

The storm -- cold Pacific air from Alaska drawing up subtropical moisture from the south -- also could bring significant rainfall, the National Weather Service said.

In Los Angeles County, as much as 8 inches of rain was expected in the mountain and foothill areas by Monday, with about 4 inches possible along the coast and in the valleys. The storm also could bring up to 8 inches of rain to areas of Orange County, as well as some parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties, forecasters said.
Old 01-28-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
It was this post that made me decide to give the show a try, and I'm glad I did.
Yay! I am happy I got someone to watch this excellent show.

And don't feel bad...I have a girl-crush on Christina Hendricks. Va Va Voom!
If most women looked like that today, I'd seriously question my sexuality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.