Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problem with projector and PS2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with projector and PS2

I've got a weird problem. I have the Optoma HD70 projector. I decided to hook up the Playstation 2 and play it. It's hooked up with component cables. While I can play PS2 games on it fine, I get no picture when I try to play PS1 games (on the PS2). I can hear the sound (running through the receiver), but no picture. It gets as far as the Playstation logo, then reverts to a "no signal" message. Thoughts? Help?

I posted this in the hardware forum, but thought I might get more/different responses in the Video Game forum.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-08, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crap...I have the same setup. I got my HD70 a few months ago and only just hooked up the PS2 a week or two ago, but hadn't tried it yet. My situation seems to be even worse though - I can't even get PS2 games to show up on it. This guy seems to be having the same problem, but he can get PS2 games to work. I will have to look into this..pretty annoying. Never had any problems on the H31. Do you know what firmware your projector is running? You can see that in the menu on one of the screens...mine is running the latest as far as I know. I also have a slim PS2, just for reference.
Old 01-11-08, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that PS1 games can be played through component cables. I had the same problem trying to play Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo with my PS2 slim, but when I put in the composite cables, I had no problem.
Old 01-11-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lukewin
I don't think that PS1 games can be played through component cables. I had the same problem trying to play Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo with my PS2 slim, but when I put in the composite cables, I had no problem.
This does work.

I encountered this same problem. Oddly, my Optoma HD72 would accept PS1 games over component just fine. But my A/V receiver (Onkyo 605) could not deal with the signal, nor could my daytime display (Olevia 337h).

I did a bunch of googling. Apparently a lot of PS1 games actually output in some kind of 240p - which an SDTV would basically think was 480i and would see it that way. Some folks I've seen say that plugging the s-video/composite video cables on the PS1 would force it to 480i mode despite the 240p-encoded game. I encountered the same problem with a Sega Genesis / JVC X'eye on my old Infocus X1 projector. The 240p/480i thing IIRC was a trick a lot of the oldest consoles used.

HDTVs though see the 240p and it depends on their scaler if they handle it correctly.

You've got 2 workarounds available:

Switch to s-video for the PS2 (IMO very close to as good as component cables for 480i games).

Buy a cheap PS3 and sell your slimline PS2. This is what I opted to do. Blu-ray + no annoying cabling workarounds convinced me to get the PS3. Since it actually scales the games before outputting them you don't hit this problem.

So the problem here isn't really your PS2, it's the source material + your display's scaler. Unfortunately.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-11-08 at 07:36 AM.