Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Hicks dropped by J Records

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taylor Hicks Recording Album on His Own
By ERIN CARLSON – 1 day ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Taylor Hicks might have won "American Idol," but he doesn't have his record deal anymore.

The soul singer, who claimed the "Idol" title in 2006, has apparently been dropped by J Records, a label within Sony-BMG, which signs the show's singers.

"Taylor is going to record on his own for the next album," said J Records publicist Liz Morentin, who did not give further details regarding Hicks.

Another "Idol" winner — Ruben Studdard of season two — left his contract with J Records late last year, but continues his contract with 19 Entertainment, the company managed by "Idol" creator Simon Fuller.

Studdard is now at work on an upcoming album, but it will not be distributed by J Records, Morentin said. Studdard's previous album, 2006's "The Return," has sold only 236,000 copies.

Roger Widynowski, spokesman for 19 Entertainment, did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages seeking comment on Hicks' situation.

Hicks' self-titled, post-"Idol" album, released in December 2006, debuted at No. 2 on the charts. In the weeks after it was issued, however, the disc slid down the charts. While it sold a respectable 699,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan data, it did not reach the 1 million mark, unlike all the other debuts from previous "Idol" champs. It also did not register a hit song, unlike other "Idol" winners.
----------------------------------------

Old 01-09-08, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, what a nutsack
Old 01-09-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Best thing that could have happened to him. That wasn't the record he wanted to make. There were two songs on his AOL pre-recording videos that he wrote himself and were halfway decent that never made the record.

I think given the ability to write his own material, he will put out a decent jam record.
Old 01-09-08, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Best thing that could have happened to him. That wasn't the record he wanted to make. There were two songs on his AOL pre-recording videos that he wrote himself and were halfway decent that never made the record.

I think given the ability to write his own material, he will put out a decent jam record.
Agreed. His second, independent album Under the Radar was actually quite good. Certainly better than what resulted from AI.
Old 01-09-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Soul Patrol!!!
Old 01-09-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Not surprised at all. Idol wants to sell records to a younger audience and Hicks look and sound doesn't appeal to that audience at all. The only Idol winners that appealed to me and had the most success were Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood (I have both their albums)

As for Ruben, the R&B market is really tough now and I think he had his work cut out for him from the start. 236,000 copies is pathetic though.

I predict Fantasia will soon get dropped by her label as well.
Old 01-09-08, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not surprised at all. Idol wants to sell records to a younger audience and Hicks look and sound doesn't appeal to that audience at all. The only Idol winners that appealed to me and had the most success were Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood (I have both their albums)

As for Ruben, the R&B market is really tough now and I think he had his work cut out for him from the start. 236,000 copies is pathetic though.

I predict Fantasia will soon get dropped by her label as well.

i never personally thought fantasia should have one. there was a better black woman that desirved it. (cant remember her name)

i own both carrie's, never got into kelly tho, but shes quite catchy.

its not that r&b market is slow, its that only the real establised artists like mary J, alica keys, r.kelly, ect. will sell.

more up and comings even are doing numbers (robin thicke, keysha cole, chris brown)

i think really unless your marketed well and promoted properly peeps forget about you quick (rubin, plus other idols) ...ryan malcome (canadian idol)
Old 01-09-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
i never personally thought fantasia should have one. there was a better black woman that desirved it. (cant remember her name)
Both Jennifer Hudson and La Toya London were better than Fantasia that year.
Old 01-09-08, 05:03 PM

Bad break for Taylor. He's truly a talent and few of the AI champs that I like. He should hire a new manager.
Old 01-09-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care for Hicks at all, but 700k isn't really that terrible in today's poor sales climate. You also have to remember his album didn't get anywhere the airplay or promotion that Daughtry's considerably more successful album got. I don't recall radio playing him or anything. Plus, 700k really isn't "drop"-worthy. Jessica Simpson's last album sold 250k and she still has her record contract, and unlike Taylor, Jessica's song got a lot of airplay and promotion and still only sold 250,000.

(God I can't believe I just wrote a post defending that George Clooney wannabe)
Old 01-10-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
If only FOX would drop American Idol.
Old 01-10-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Kat McPhee was also dropped by RCA records. Her debut CD only sold 365,000 copies.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...test/800030628
Old 01-10-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I can't believe that FOX sends people over to your house to force you to watch American Idol.
Old 01-10-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell, it's the only reality show I'll actually watch.

Too bad for Hicks. I don't "lol" at anyone losing record deals, etc. Sort of cruel and childish. Hope the kid bounces back.
Old 01-10-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

The recording industry is already a dicey business. If your a new artist and your album doesn't go platinum, your already labeled a bust.

Carrie, Kelly and Daughtry are the lucky few from Idol who actually have a large fanbase and excellent album sales that back that up.
Old 01-10-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't heard his albums, but good luck to him. Hopefully he bounces back.

= J
Old 01-10-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
that would be the dumbest decision in the history of television
Old 01-10-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Kat McPhee was also dropped by RCA records. Her debut CD only sold 365,000 copies.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...test/800030628

she should head out to broadway.
Old 01-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How do the American Idol winners do on tour? There are a lot of big name groups that don't sell crap but they still draw big money on tour and they don't get dropped.
Old 01-11-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I can't believe that FOX sends people over to your house to force you to watch American Idol.
Yep. At gunpoint too.
Old 01-11-08, 09:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Industry is set up so that bands dont even labels anymore. release it on their own and pop it on itunes.

This guy Hicks was a no-talent hack anyway ...