Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman The Movie'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman The Movie at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29274 and...

I have to say to the Commentator Eric, that you have a right to share your opinion(s), however, not to judge. Clearly thru your "Review" it shows your lack of understanding a culture that is not yours! How could you possibly understand a movie that is not of your own culture? Then to judge it, shows ignorance.

I found that this movie showed real aspects of that culture and it relates to many. It was also an uplifting film for those who have experienced similar situations. Possibly Mr. Snider you must truly understand a culture before watching a movie targeted to them, then comment on movies such as these!
Old 01-09-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's just a bad reason to argue that because someone is not from a certain culture or background they wouldn't be able to get the movie. Yes, this could be true up to a point but a good filmaker will be able to go past that and include you and bring you into their world. This movie is just not that good. is not a racial thing, if the movie was good even if there are culturals differences that the viewer would not be able to understand, the viewers might still leave with a sense of fullfilment based on other elements, like the romantic story behind the film or some of other elements that were attempted in this movie that felt flat. I nor anyone has to be gay and latino to enjoy burnt money. You don't have to be indian to enjoy the namesake and you don't have to be from america's heartland nor a sports fan to enjoy hoosiers.

Originally Posted by erikalynn98
I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman The Movie at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29274 and...

I have to say to the Commentator Eric, that you have a right to share your opinion(s), however, not to judge. Clearly thru your "Review" it shows your lack of understanding a culture that is not yours! How could you possibly understand a movie that is not of your own culture? Then to judge it, shows ignorance.

I found that this movie showed real aspects of that culture and it relates to many. It was also an uplifting film for those who have experienced similar situations. Possibly Mr. Snider you must truly understand a culture before watching a movie targeted to them, then comment on movies such as these!
Old 01-09-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

erikalynn98, I think the reviewer anticipated your criticism and responded to it appropriately in the review:

Quite a few critics, myself included, got e-mails from people who said we just didn't understand the film. As white men, how could we possibly appreciate a movie about the experiences of modern black women?

That's fair up to a point. But bad filmmaking is bad filmmaking, regardless of who the target audience is. Broadly drawn characters, cheap melodrama, and illogical story progression are part of a universal language. I can grant you that some of the parts I called "boring" might be more compelling to someone who's felt something close to what the characters have felt. But the film's many other negative traits don't go away just because the viewer is African-American.
Old 01-09-08, 02:21 PM

Eric D. Snider addressed your exact complaint in the review. Did you read it?