Reload this Page >

Problems With My Cable

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Problems With My Cable

Old 01-08-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems With My Cable

Here's the issue. Last week, I was watching TV like normal. Then suddenly, my sound just dropped. The TV was silent. So, I checked the volumes, all that stuff. Turned on, and off the cable box. I even switched the TV/video, and tested a DVD, and Playstation. Both worked perfectly. So I even unplugged the cable overnight, it was late, I thought maybe it would reset it. Next day, still nothing. So I call Comcast, and they send a "signal refresher" down the line, and the box went all blinky, and the screen flashed. Still no sound, so the guy says the only thing to do is setup an appointment. Plus, he said if they come out, and it's not their fault, then we would have to pay. Number one, everyone I live with, including me, works full-time, so someone would have to take off work. So, I did not set one up yet. Then, just to see, I plugged in a really old box, that had not been used for a year, and it did the same thing. The weird thing is we have three other boxes, two with HD, and they are not having any issues what so ever. I just don't want the guy to come out, and then, have to pay, because it's some weird thing. I just think it's both boxes, one is four years old, and the other even older. What else could it be? I need help.
Old 01-08-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the wrong forum but, how do you have the cable hooked up? Via the Coaxial cable?

If so, and if your PS2 and HD boxes work fine, chances are something may be screwed up with the coaxial port of your TV. That's my guess. I'm now TV expert though.
Old 01-08-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go exchange the box at a comcast office
test the cable box on another tv

I skimmed the post so my reply might be n/a
Old 01-08-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks. You'll probably get better responses in 'tech talk'.
Old 01-08-08, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
This is the wrong forum but, how do you have the cable hooked up? Via the Coaxial cable?

If so, and if your PS2 and HD boxes work fine, chances are something may be screwed up with the coaxial port of your TV. That's my guess. I'm now TV expert though.
Yea, coaxial. R-SMA Jack. It's a basic setup, since it's for the living room, out the wall, into the box, then into the TV. That's it.
Old 01-08-08, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Go exchange the box at a comcast office

I skimmed the post so my reply might be n/a
The problem is there is not one near my work, plus I take the T, so I can't drive anywhere on lunch, and by the time I get out at five, any Comcast office is closed. Their hours are only M-F 9-5, and Sat 9-2, I just don't want to wait for the weekend, plus their visits can take days, or more.
Old 01-09-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try the coax cable(s) from the non-working on a box that is working?
Old 01-09-08, 07:46 AM
Banned

That "if we come out and it's not our fault, we'll charge you" thing is complete B.S., as is the new "it's a $15 charge to call for Tech Support" trend.

I understand that it costs them money to send someone out when grandma doesn't have her TV turned on, but they should be able to determine if the problem is on your end or their end over the phone. If they sell you a service, part of the cost of doing business is providing technical support for that service.
Old 01-09-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I agree with matta. I've had many a Comcast box crap out on me over the years and they always would send out a 'new' one at no charge.

Now if it is something with your line, that's a different matter. But just do a quick check by plugging your TV directly into the cable line.
Old 01-09-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dieinafire
The weird thing is we have three other boxes, two with HD, and they are not having any issues what so ever.
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
This is basic troubleshooting 101. As suggested, swap the box without sound with the other SD box that still works. If the problem follows the soundless box, you know it is the box. If the problem continues with the 2nd SD box in the original soundless location, it is the wiring to that TV.

How is this something you'd not think to try first?

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-09-08 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Did you try the coax cable(s) from the non-working on a box that is working?
Not yet, since it is such a clusterfuck. We have so many cables running through the place, extension cord, coax, ethernet, it's a mess. I was going to last night, but decided to be lazy.
Old 01-09-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
That "if we come out and it's not our fault, we'll charge you" thing is complete B.S., as is the new "it's a $15 charge to call for Tech Support" trend.

I understand that it costs them money to send someone out when grandma doesn't have her TV turned on, but they should be able to determine if the problem is on your end or their end over the phone. If they sell you a service, part of the cost of doing business is providing technical support for that service.
They tried that service call fee thing on me once and a simple call to CS when the service appt. was over as the fee was waived as a "customer courtesy".

I think the fee is simply a way for them to dissuade people from abusing the service.
Old 01-09-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try screwing the cable from the wall directly into the TV? Put TV in Cable mode and tune to a channel. If there is soound then its the cable box. If not then its your TV. Do you use a stereo for sound? Does your cable box have RCA outputs for sound? Try running that directly into your TV or stereo..
Old 01-09-08, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Did you try screwing the cable from the wall directly into the TV? Put TV in Cable mode and tune to a channel. If there is soound then its the cable box. If not then its your TV. Do you use a stereo for sound? Does your cable box have RCA outputs for sound? Try running that directly into your TV or stereo..
No, not yet. I don't use a stereo, and I am not sure about the box having RCA outputs. I have some ideas from you guys to try tonight.
Old 01-11-08, 02:02 PM

Update: I tried every suggestion that was offered on here, and none of them worked, but I was able to finally fix it. What I did was take an old tuner that was not being used, and wired it into some old speakers that were in our living room, not being used. Then I used an RCA cable, and hooked it from the cable to the tuner, and now it works. It's like a stereo speaker setup now. The cable box is still defective, but now I can replace it on my own time. Thank you for all the help though.
Old 01-11-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First, your coax uses F-type connectors, not SMA.

I don't think you exactly found the cause of the problem, but rather worked around it. You did not get other boxes to work on this TV using the coax, right?

It could still be with your TV, but at least you have it working now.

My Dish box has this problem sometimes, but that is using HDMI, so not much help there.
Old 01-11-08, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
First, your coax uses F-type connectors, not SMA.

I don't think you exactly found the cause of the problem, but rather worked around it. You did not get other boxes to work on this TV using the coax, right?

It could still be with your TV, but at least you have it working now.

My Dish box has this problem sometimes, but that is using HDMI, so not much help there.
No, I could not take their boxes, but I tried the bad one on one of their TVs, and it did the same thing. I replaced all the coax first, then just left the new cords on since it was such a pain, and the old ones are many years old. Everything I tried seems to point only to the box, my roommate mentioned that maybe Comcast upgraded their signal, and since my box it so old, maybe it just konked out. Since I have got around the issue, and can watch TV, I will just bring the box to a Comcast outlet, and switch it with a new one when I feel like it.