DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Buy 1 Get 1 Free in January Offer

McButton
01-08-08, 12:14 PM
Is the Buy 1 Get 1 Free in (Insert Following Month) offers of any use to anyone ever? It's like a straight b1g1 right? It's a good ploy by CH, but doesn't help anyone that knows about the codes. I have a few of these offers, but don't see the purpose of using them right now.

basaro
01-08-08, 12:21 PM
bad info. deleted whole post ;)

dadaluholla
01-08-08, 01:09 PM
I think I might use it to buy Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Two and then take Sunshine free. It comes to $21.15 (shipped), which is not too bad.

BobO'Link
01-08-08, 07:08 PM
These offers are a little better than a typical B1G1 in the way they can be used. With most of these offers, *any* purchase serves as the B1 portion. If you purchase a $7.95 selection then you can get another $7.95 (or less) selection "free". Of course you still pay shipping so in the long run it's more expensive than cycling an account, but you might find it worth using.

basaro
01-08-08, 07:27 PM
These offers are a little better than a typical B1G1 in the way they can be used. With most of these offers, *any* purchase serves as the B1 portion. If you purchase a $7.95 selection then you can get another $7.95 (or less) selection "free". Of course you still pay shipping so in the long run it's more expensive than cycling an account, but you might find it worth using.

Crap, I didn't know that, I'll have to edit my post. ;) Is that new this year or was it like that last year too?

BobO'Link
01-09-08, 10:09 PM
Crap, I didn't know that, I'll have to edit my post. ;) Is that new this year or was it like that last year too?
I think they've always been like this for the particular offer. At least all of the ones I've qualified for have worked this way. I've taken advantage of them a few times to get some under $10 stuff without having to wait for a B1G50/60% off w/free shipping code. For a couple of titles the average cost is roughly the same.

McButton
01-10-08, 01:54 AM
But, you still have to buy one at full price. CH doesn't just let you get a dvd for $7.95. Tricky business.

CalebAndCo
01-10-08, 08:45 AM
But, you still have to buy one at full price. CH doesn't just let you get a dvd for $7.95. Tricky business.
Not so with this code/offer. If you were so inclined, you could order just two $7.95 DVDs, one of which would be "free." Of course, as BobO'Link pointed out, the shipping throws a wrench in the works.

basaro
01-10-08, 09:40 AM
You can also get a $14.95 or less title for free if the qualifying purchase is one of the dvds in the clearance section, which are as low as $5.95.

So, $5.95 + any title up to $14.95 for free + shipping = $10.93. Not great but someone may find a use for it.

dadaluholla
01-10-08, 09:58 AM
Along with the clearance, this would also work with the "Deal of the Day" selection. For example, Constantine is available today for $4.95 so I believe you would be able to take an additional dvd for free (equal to it's $12.95 value) + $4.98 shipping.

So keep an eye on the DOTD selections through the month. Something good might pop up to use this B1G1 with.

basaro
01-10-08, 10:37 AM
Along with the clearance, this would also work with the "Deal of the Day" selection. For example, Constantine is available today for $4.95 so I believe you would be able to take an additional dvd for free (equal to it's $12.95 value) + $4.98 shipping.

So keep an eye on the DOTD selections through the month. Something good might pop up to use this B1G1 with.

Oh yeah, good one, I forgot to check on DOTD. I am saving this code through the month, and seeing if something good does indeed come up.

dadaluholla
01-15-08, 08:56 AM
If anyone is into anime, Columbia House has Appleseed Ex Machina available for pre-order at $13.77. They have it listed as a "special club price" item, and you can take a regular priced dvd free with it up to $22.95. The total comes to $18.75. Nice little deal.

metahuman stat
01-15-08, 11:43 PM
What is the b1g1 code?

lizard
01-16-08, 11:41 AM
What is the b1g1 code?I don't believe that this offer has a typical sale offer code because it is linked to specific accounts.

Columbia House sometimes has a promotion in which they say that one can get a "free" DVD if a purchase is made in a certain month. The latest such offer was in December. It is actually a trick: the customer assumes that he or she will be able to just select a free DVD when in fact CH merely sends out a BOGOF e-mail offer. This means that one must buy another DVD in order to qualify for the "free" one.

The discussion here is about how the terms differ from a standard BOGOF offer and how best to optimize it. Pretty much anyone who purchased a DVD from CH in December got this offer and we are wondering if it is better, or more useful, than the standard BOGOF offers we routinely use.

BobO'Link
01-16-08, 10:03 PM
^ It's not a code, but a link: columbiahouse.com/freedvd

This will take you to a login page. I would assume that if you qualify, you'll either get logged in or the "offer" will work on your account.

I don't know if it will work on an account that did not qualify for the offer as I made qualifying purchases on all my open accounts and as such don't have a non-qualifying account with which to test.

So far I've been unable to find a combo that is better than just cycling an account.

dadaluholla
01-16-08, 10:12 PM
I don't know if it will work on an account that did not qualify for the offer as I made qualifying purchases on all my open accounts and as such don't have a non-qualifying account with which to test.

Just tried it on a brand new account, and yes it did work.

skidmark
01-18-08, 10:16 AM
Interestingly, I fulfilled my ch.com account (which had the same banner ad) in December, and I just got the email from them. The advantage here is that ch.com has free shipping.

If you don't have a ch.com account, now might be a good time to try for one.

lizard
01-18-08, 02:12 PM
^Yes. This is a good deal for CH.com members because BOGOF offers are essentially non-existent there. I used mine to buy an HD DVD at 40% off list price and paired it with a Criterion for free. And no shipping charge for either.

NoirFan
01-18-08, 05:31 PM
Doesn't seem to work on box sets.

dadaluholla
01-18-08, 10:22 PM
Doesn't seem to work on box sets.

You can never take a boxset free...or do you mean it is not letting you get a free dvd with the purchase of a boxset?

pjflyer
01-20-08, 12:26 PM
Doesn't seem to work at CH club for HD. If it did the prices would beat Amazon's B1G1.

abintra
01-20-08, 03:26 PM
Doesn't seem to work at CH club for HD. If it did the prices would beat Amazon's B1G1.

I wonder why those are excluded? Didn't see an exclusion mention for them in the fine print.

basaro
01-20-08, 09:36 PM
^
The fine print is you can only take a REGULAR price item for free. Boxsets and HD titles are not counted as regular priced items, and can never be had for free.

NoirFan
01-31-08, 08:20 PM
Got Das Boot: Complete Miniseries and the Criterion of Hamlet for $23.97 shipped, a pretty good deal.