Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2008 Visual Effects bake off...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which 3 films do you choose for the VFX Oscar?
The Bourne Ultimatum
20.90%
Evan Almighty
0%
The Golden Compass
2.99%
I Am Legend
5.97%
56.72%
Transformers
80.60%
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
49.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Seven pics shortlisted for visual effects Oscar
By Carolyn Giardina
Jan 5, 2008

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" -- the sequel to last year's visual effects Oscar winner "Dead Man's Chest" -- made the shortlist for this year's Academy Awards VFX category, while "Spider-Man 3" -- the sequel to 2005 category winner "Spider-Man 2" -- did not.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said that seven films remain in contention for achievement in visual effects for the 80th Annual Academy Awards, down from a list of 15 released last month. Surprising some, the seven are "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Evan Almighty," "The Golden Compass," "I Am Legend," "300," "Transformers" and the aforementioned "At World's End."

"Spider-Man 3" failed to make the shortlist, as did the sequel "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," though all four previous "Potter" films were shortlisted in past years.

The closely watched performance-capture-based "Beowulf" also was passed over this year.

"It was close this year, more than any other year, in terms of the quality," visual effects branch member Jeff Okun said.

Tim Sarnoff, president of Sony Pictures Imageworks -- lead VFX house on "Spider-Man 3," "I Am Legend" and "Beowulf" -- said that the announcement "really seems to highlight that they are looking for innovation. The movies that were (selected) are very different from each other and very different from those that preceded them in previous years."

Some visual effects branch members, including Tim McGovern, said sequels can have a disadvantage "especially if the (key) breakthrough work happened in the movie before."

Added Okun: "I think what (the shortlist) says is for a sequel to become a viable option in terms of awards, it has to step up significantly and push brand-new envelopes."

Okun said that in the case of "At World's End," the schedule also might have been a factor. "It was every bit as astonishing as the last one, and they did a really interesting job of letting it be known that the post schedule on it was ridiculously short," he said. "It's phenomenal work given that they had no time at all."

Okun also believes that omissions in the shortlist underscore some confusion and a blurring of the lines between what is considered a visual effect and what is considered animation.

In addition to "Beowulf," another film in contention in both the visual effects and animation category, "Ratatouille," did not make the cut. Both received a lot of attention when they made the first VFX list of 15 films, as it was a rare feat for an animated film.

"I don't think it's a mandate for or against performance capture," Sarnoff said of the "Beowulf" omission, adding that "I Am Legend" also used performance capture.

Members of the Academy's visual effects branch will view 15-minute excerpts from each of the seven shortlisted films Jan. 16. Following the screenings, the members will vote to nominate three films for final Oscar consideration. Nominations will be announced Jan. 22.
--------------------
So pick your 3 to get the Oscar nomination. I think it's an interesting list. I also think that if Ratatouille and Beowulf made the list of 15, that it was sad to see that Surf's Up didn't get considered.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-06-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stardust
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Across The Universe

These are my picks.
Old 01-06-08, 03:34 PM
Banned

Out of that list:
Transformers
Bourne

My personal list:
Stardust
Sunshine
Transformers
Old 01-06-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
The craftsmanship, and more importantly 'PROPER INTEGRATION' of Transformers make it my first pick. I guess that you can say the same for Bourne. And, though it was excellent, I don't remember any mindblowing Bourne effects moments.

Everything else is just suped-up, expensive video game animation. Not necessarily 'bad' or 'unnecessary'. But those type of effects are just second compared to a movie that can combine physical, practical effects with CG.
Old 01-06-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly did "I Am Legend" achieve in the Visual Effects department that were good?

Now, if they're referring to the empty city... Yes, I applaud them. But the creatures were horrible. They just took the robots from "I, Robot" and put creature effects on them. So fake looking.
Old 01-06-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
300 or Trasnformers.
Old 01-06-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
What exactly did "I Am Legend" achieve in the Visual Effects department that were good?

Now, if they're referring to the empty city... Yes, I applaud them. But the creatures were horrible. They just took the robots from "I, Robot" and put creature effects on them. So fake looking.

Couldn't agree more. The "zombies" were terrible. I miss the days of animatronics, makeup, even stop motion! Anything but bad, overused cgi.
Old 01-06-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What were the visual effects in Bourne?
Old 01-06-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn

New York Looked amazing. but transformers should win. Best visuals I think I ever seen

Last edited by maingon; 01-06-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by toddly6666
By that statement, it should win, eh? Here's some of what Double Negative did...
Old 01-06-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I didn't care for the film, I voted for 300, because I thought that the effects are the only reason the film is at all interesting.

Anyone else think that the effects, specifically the creature effects, in I Am Legend were distractingly bad? The zombies were of good video game cut scene quality, and it took me out of the film every time they were on screen. I think makeup and extras would've made the film a lot more believable.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 01-06-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transformers without a doubt. The only film I've seen where the visual effects look better in high definition.
Old 01-06-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
Out of that list:
Transformers
Bourne

My personal list:
Stardust
Sunshine
Transformers
I can understand the love for Stardust, but there were some really bad VFX in it.

My vote: Transformers
Old 01-06-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this is one of those T2/Jurassic Park years where one movie just has to be the obvious winner. Transformers.
Old 01-06-08, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Transformers without a shadow of a doubt. After that, Pirates was great and 300 probably had the most innovative use of VFX. I can't believe The Golden Compass is on there but Harry Potter isn't. Kreacher, probably HP's weakest effect in this installment, was better than every single effect in TGC.
Old 01-06-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Even though I didn't care for the film, I voted for 300, because I thought that the effects are the only reason the film is at all interesting.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
After that, Pirates was great and 300 probably had the most innovative use of VFX.
The visuals and effects of 300 are an exact carbon copy of Sin City's; the only difference is that they added two colors: gold and red. You think they should get an award for that?

Should have replaced it with Zodiac instead; I was impressed at what was real and what was CGI, and how it seamlessly got stitched together.
Old 01-06-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Transformers has to win it. Like the movie or not, the effects were amazing.

300 and Pirates come in next, with Bourne rightfully behind them. The effects in all the other movies were dreadful, considering their budget.
Old 01-06-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
"Spider-Man 3" failed to make the shortlist
Wow. I thought some of the Sandman effects alone would guarantee it a nomination. With that out of contention, it should be Transformers easily.

I'll agree with those saying that I Am Legend deserves a nod for making New York look so barren, even though the creature effects are abysmal.
Old 01-06-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PotC: At World's End
Transformers

And Megatron takes it.
Old 01-06-08, 11:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Matt Damon was completely CGIed.
Old 01-06-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It took some hardcore CG to make Damon into "Sexiest Man of the Year"
Old 01-06-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transformers is the obvious winner.
Old 01-07-08, 01:35 AM
Banned

Did you mean 2007? Then Transformers was probably the best SPX. 2008? Iron Man owns this from what I've seen.
Old 01-07-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just so you can see where the Visual Effects Society (VES) thought was last years top crop.

The nominees for the 6th Annual VES Awards are the following:

VISUAL EFFECTS IN A VISUAL EFFECTS DRIVEN MOTION PICTURE
"I Am Legend" - Janek Sirrs, Mike Chambers, Jim Berney, Crys Forsyth-Smith
"Transformers" - Scott Farar, Shari Hanson, Russel Earl, Scott Benza
"The Golden Compass" - Michael Fink, Susan MacLeod, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" - John Knoll, Jill Brooks, Hal Hickel, Charlie Gibson
"Spider-Man 3" - Scott Stokdyk, Terry Clotiaux, Peter Nofz, Spencer Cook

SUPPORTING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A MOTION PICTURE
"Ratatouille" - Michael Fong, Apurva Shah, Christine Waggoner, Michael Fu
"Zodiac" - Eric Barba, Craig Barron, Janelle Croshaw, Chris Evans
"We Own the Night" - Kelly Port, Julian Levi, Brad Parker, Olivier Sarda
"The Kite Runner" - David Ebner, Les Jones, Todd Perry, Leif Einarsson
"Blades of Glory" - Mark Breakspear, Randy Starr, Shauna Bryan, Kody Sabourin

BEST SINGLE VISUAL EFFECT of the YEAR
"Transformers" - Desert Highway Sequence - Scott Farrar, Shari Hanson, Shawn Kelly, Michael Jamieson
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" - Jack and Davy duel - John Knoll, Jill Brooks, Francois Lambert, Philippe Rebours
"300" - Crazy horse sequence - Chris Watts, Gayle Busby, Kirsty Millar
"SurfíS Up" - Riding the visual effects tube - Rob Bredow, Lydia Bottegoni, Daniel Kramer, Matt Hausman
"Spider-Man 3" - The birth of Sandman - Scott Stokdyk, Terry Clotiaux, Spencer Cook, Doug Bloom

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1983&cs=1
Old 01-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
As much as I hated it, it has to be Transformers. It was the only thing the production got right in any way, and they knocked it out of the park.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.