Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Best Buy making people check their bags now??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I walked into Best Buy and the greeter at the door stopped me and told me to leave my backpack with him. He just sat it on the floor at his feet, and there were no other bags being left there. No ticket or anything to I.D. my bag.

As I strolled the store, I noticed plenty of people (especially women) with bags and purses. I'm a pretty normal looking guy. I left quickly without buying anything because I didn't feel secure leaving my stuff by the door with a stranger.

I've never had a Best Buy employee bug me about that sort of thing before. Anyone else see this happen at Best Buy?
Old 01-05-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Thats unbelievable. I would have refused to give my bag even if he was giving me some sort of ID tag for it. You should have started a shit storm and gotten the manager involved.
Old 01-05-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never seen that happen at any of the Best Buys I've gone to.
Old 01-05-08, 08:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You must be a shady-looking character. I'm nervous even posting in a thread started by you.
Old 01-05-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Different stores have different security measures. The one closest to me doesn't lock up SD cards or rechargeable batteries, but the one across town does. Some Best Buys have a cage you have to get high ticket or small and expensive items from. Also, at the one nearest me, I have seen them take backpacks and hold them.
Old 01-05-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Not a Best Buy story but when I was younger, I was kicked out of Wal-Mart for refusing to leave my backpack at the service desk. I used to walk everywhere at the time so that backpack was home to my Walkman, batteries, cds, drinks, etc. I didn't want to leave that type of stuff in someone else's hands so I wound up being removed from the premises.
Old 01-06-08, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
When I worked at BB we checked bags, skateboards, and other shit people would carry in. It's no big deal. We never had anyone's checked in shit ripped off; and although I'm sure it happens I doubt it happens often.

It sucks but the low life bastards who rip these stores off make it tough on everyone else. And let's be honest, young males are more likely to steal. Women do it too but young males are a higher "risk" so we would always make sure we checked in bags belonging to those young punks.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-06-08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
When I worked at BB we checked bags, skateboards, and other shit people would carry in. It's no big deal. We never had anyone's checked in shit ripped off; and although I'm sure it happens I doubt it happens often.

It sucks but the low life bastards who rip these stores off make it tough on everyone else. And let's be honest, young males are more likely to steal. Women do it too but young males are a higher "risk" so we would always make sure we checked in bags belonging to those young punks.
I understand the profiling, but if they're going to check bags, then they should actually check the bags instead of having you put it on the floor next to some guy who's attention is taken with greeting people and checking receipts. There was no designated place for the bags and no way to I.D. which bag belongs to who. A quick thief could have jacked my bag without the door guy even noticing. I don't plan on setting foot in that store again anytime soon.
Old 01-06-08, 11:00 AM

When I worked retail, we were told not to hold bags/sacks/anything that people brought into the store because of the liability issue-- we couldn't replace what they brought in so we had to just let them bring in whatever they wanted. Makes sense and I suspect is what Best Buy's true policy is. Perhaps you should write a letter to corporate, you'd probably get an apology and a gift card out of it.
Old 01-06-08, 04:08 PM

A related experience: I once went to a Circuit City where I had to check my shoulder-bag, and while I was about to check it a security guard came over and asked me what was in the bag. This was right after I entered the store. I'll check the bag if that's the policy (as long as it'll be secure) but they wanted to know the contents of what I was carrying with me? Think again.
Old 01-06-08, 04:20 PM

I feel like stores have the right to protect their assets. Don't like their policies? Shop somewhere else or leave your backpack at home.
Old 01-06-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. I can't see why people would think it's okay to take a backpack into a retail store. Obviously, if I'm a retailer and I see that happen, my first thought is that the person is planning to steal.
Old 01-06-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TNDVDFAN
I feel like stores have the right to protect their assets. Don't like their policies? Shop somewhere else or leave your backpack at home.
And I have the right to protect my assets. If their policy is to check bags, then I expect the bag to be in a safe place and labeled with a ticket to identify me as its owner. Who in their right mind would leave their valuables on the floor next to the exit with no guarantee that they'll be there when you get back? I was the only person asked to leave my bag with the doorguy and there were plenty of other bags on other people's shoulders in the store.

I did as you suggested, anyway, walked over to Barnes and Noble next door, where they don't treat their customers like criminals and bought the DVD I was going to buy at Best Buy for only 2 dollars more, which was worth it for the dignity with which they treat their customers.
Old 01-06-08, 06:25 PM

If they are making you check you "bag", then they are profiling you... The ONLY way they can do this "legally", is to check EVERYONE'S bags... this includes purses... so, unless they are willing to rifle through every ones purse or fannypack (lol), then they "can't" check your bags

Now, if they have suspicion that you have something of theirs in your bag, that's a WHOLE different deal...

I'm a store manager for a retail store... I know these things...
Old 01-06-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah, since women sometimes use their kids/babies as devices to perpetrate theft it's easier to secure some guys backpack than build a nursery room and hire baby sitters. Never mind the liability insurance!!

It's not going to happen but I wish every store would however

And to the OP, there are two Best Buys that I frequent and I haven't seen that practice at either of them.

Last edited by visitor Q; 01-06-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Agreed. I can't see why people would think it's okay to take a backpack into a retail store. Obviously, if I'm a retailer and I see that happen, my first thought is that the person is planning to steal.
In most cases I'd tend to agree with you, however what about stores located in and around cities where you have more foot traffic (college students for example), people who didn't drive to the store in the first place?
Old 01-06-08, 06:46 PM

Unrelated to Best Buy, but I remember walking into Hollywood when I was younger on my way home from school so I had my backpack with me. I was probably about 15(I'm 18 right now and still get this kind of crap from stores) and I walked in and the guy told me I couldn't go in there without giving him my backpack. I gave it to him but was really pissed off by that and left soon after. I'm sure if an older person walked in with a backpack they wouldn't question it but when a teenager walks in they don't show any respect towards them.
Old 01-06-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is new news to some people. Since 1995 I've seen this practice in both major cities and the suburbs. Put your bag in a cubby by the door, shope, take it, and leave. I have no problem with it personally, I've got nothing in there don't care if anyone sees, and nothing in there that's worth stealing.

Some people get their panties in a wad over the smallest things. Stores can do what they want. If you don't want to abide by their rules, shop somewhere else.
Old 01-07-08, 01:21 AM

Most who frequented college bookstores in the mid-90s are quite used to the practice. At Minnesota the bookstores made you check your backpack whether you were there to pick up something from teh service counter or walking around the shelving areas.
Old 01-07-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What if you are in a mall and you shop at a few places and buy things. Now you have a couple of bags with your goods in them. Do you leave them at the front door somewhere? Do you bring every bag to the car? What if you got there by bus or taxi and that's why you use a bagpack? I agree totally that if they don't allow bags in their store, they should provide a system to store those bags securely.

Dirk
Old 01-07-08, 09:39 AM

I go everywhere with my messenger back-including Best Buy after work on Friday-and didn't have a problem. I'll have to see if something's changed next time I go in.
Old 01-07-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by deadlax

Some people get their panties in a wad over the smallest things. Stores can do what they want. If you don't want to abide by their rules, shop somewhere else.
Ok, but if you live in a major metropolitan city which thrives on public transportation and you carry your 3 thousand dollar laptop full of priceless data and work in your bag and a pimply-faced minimum-wager tells you to leave it on the floor next to the exit door with no one keeping an eye on it, you tell me if that's a "small thing".

I did leave the store and shopped elsewhere. I didn't cause a scene or even say anything, but they lost my business.

If they want to check the bags in a secure manner, that's one thing... but this was a sure way to keep me out of their store.
Old 01-07-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
Ok, but if you live in a major metropolitan city which thrives on public transportation and you carry your 3 thousand dollar laptop full of priceless data and work in your bag and a pimply-faced minimum-wager tells you to leave it on the floor next to the exit door with no one keeping an eye on it, you tell me if that's a "small thing".

I did leave the store and shopped elsewhere. I didn't cause a scene or even say anything, but they lost my business.

If they want to check the bags in a secure manner, that's one thing... but this was a sure way to keep me out of their store.

Instead of spending $3K on a laptop, take half of that and put a downpayment on a car.

Problem solved!
Old 01-07-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
Instead of spending $3K on a laptop, take half of that and put a downpayment on a car.

Problem solved!

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 01-07-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lopper

Problem solved!
And what's left to pay for parking in a major metropolitan area?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.