Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lions For Lambs-- Any Speculation on a Release Date?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-05-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, I know it bombed in the box office, but I thought it was a fine film. Does anyone know when it might come out on DVD?
Old 01-05-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
They're actually just letting it quietly die...

But, seriously, I actually am looking forward to seeing it. To be honest, I cannot believe how bad this did and how vehemently it was hated. I feel like no matter what, some of that was not based on the quality of the movie.
Old 01-05-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd expect it sometime around April.
Old 01-05-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worldwide it wasn't a total bomb. About $52 million on a $35 million budget
Old 01-05-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Video ETA estimates a March release.
Old 01-05-08, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's out on DVD in Russia already. Just watched it yesterday - not a masterpiece, but a fine film. Was surprised not to see it in pre-orders list on amazon.
Old 01-05-08, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Worldwide it wasn't a total bomb. About $52 million on a $35 million budget
I didn't realize it did so well overseas
Old 01-06-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Why did this movie tank so hard? It had a A-list cast and seemed good. Was it boring? I noticed it was barely 90 minutes long.
Old 01-06-08, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
Yeah, I know it bombed in the box office, but I thought it was a fine film. Does anyone know when it might come out on DVD?
Are you a pro-democrat? ... looks like it will come out after the Democrat party elected their Party Presidential Candidate to run in the next Presidential election
Old 01-06-08, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why did this movie tank so hard? It had a A-list cast and seemed good. Was it boring? I noticed it was barely 90 minutes long.
I heard some backchat that basically viewers didn't like getting lectured-- which is something I've never understood and reminds me of the criticism of the post-9/11 West Wing episode. If the material is well-written and provokes thought, I am more than willing to be lectured to.
Old 01-06-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
Are you a pro-democrat? ... looks like it will come out after the Democrat party elected their Party Presidential Candidate to run in the next Presidential election
Although the people involved in the film are pro-Democrat (Cruise, Redford, Streep), I didn't find it to be a left-slanted film. I thought Cruise did a good job pitching the argument from the right with his character. Yes, the movie is preachy, but more in a "We should question what we're doing here" rather than a "We should definitely not be doing this" kind of way.
Old 01-06-08, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Although the people involved in the film are pro-Democrat (Cruise, Redford, Streep), I didn't find it to be a left-slanted film. I thought Cruise did a good job pitching the argument from the right with his character. Yes, the movie is preachy, but more in a "We should question what we're doing here" rather than a "We should definitely not be doing this" kind of way.
Yes, Cruise did a good job, but I think what Redford was trying to show here is "look, these guys can be eloquent, they seem to say logical things, we might even want to believe them, but don't let yourselves be misguided". I'm all for Redford here and in normal life I can argue vindicating his point, but in films I like when everything's more ambiguous and you're given some food for thought. Redford is not giving it in my opinion. He just exposes his view and it's categorial. That's the one thing that was irritating me in the movie although, I repeat, I'm on Redford's side.