Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Disney film Narnia novels out-of-sequence for consistent casting?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should Disney film Narnia novels out-of-sequence for consistent casting?
Yes, and they will.
23.53%
Yes, but they won't.
29.41%
No, and they shouldn't.
35.29%
No, but they should.
0%
Twikoff (which is a reference this OP doesn't get)
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-08, 04:14 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Spoilers, concerning which characters appear in which Narnia books to follow. Don't want 'em, don't read this...

So the children's appearances in these stories are as follows:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Peter, Susan, Edmond, Lucy
Prince Caspian - Peter, Susan, Edmond, Lucy
Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Edmond, Lucy, Eustace
The Silver Chair - Eustace, Jill
The Horse and His Boy - Peter, Susan, Edmond, Lucy (but older)
The Magician's Nephew - None of the above
The Last Battle - Peter, Edmond, Lucy, Eustace, Jill

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is out, Prince Caspian is nearly in theaters, and I assume they'll get right to work on Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Assuming Disney wants to make all seven novels into separate films, The Last Battle is perhaps nearly a decade down the pipe. The actors who play the children will be pretty old by then, no longer fitting the age of their characters in the novels.

Do you think Disney would work on The Last Battle concurrently with Voyage of the Dawn Treader and/or The Silver Chair in order to use the same actors at nearly the right ages so continuity remains intact, or will they go the same route as National Lampoon's Vacation series and recast kids as needed?

This is the sort of burning question which keeps me up at night.

Last edited by story; 01-04-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't mind if they recast.
Old 01-04-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Just recast if it gets that far. If they do Horse and his Boy they don't need the same people (but if they use them, they're older anyway so no big).

I don't care if they skip the last one--it's the only one where I (as an agnostic) find that the religious stuff takes me out of the story.
Old 01-04-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I can barely remember the kids from the first one, so I'd say they didn't make a huge impact in my head. Recasting shouldn't matter, it's not like Harry Potter where there's one huge star throughout the series.
Old 01-04-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
I don't see them really messing with the filming order of the first four films, since they're chronological as is.

The last film is the one that's the trickiest, since there's a 2 movie gap where none of the children appear (as children). They could possibly film just the parts the require the original actors after the 4th movie and sit on it until production begins for the last one.

Or, if the first four films are hits, they could film the last three films concurrently, with three different directors and crews, and release them 6 months apart each.

Or, they could possibly release the Last Battle as the 5th film, with Magician's Nephew as a prequel, like how the Hobbit films are being done, and then The Horse and His Boy as a further spin-off of the series. After the films are actually made, fans can re-order their viewing of them as they like.
Old 01-04-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Honestly, I doubt they will make all 7 movies, but if they do, I say just go in order.
Old 01-04-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think what you want to avoid is Halloween 3. I've never read the books so I'm just interested in movie continuity. As for recasting, if this next one is a hit like the first, its going to be a big mental hurdle for the general public to overcome.
Old 01-05-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seriously doubt the next one will do anything close to what the first movie did. Way more people read/know about Lion Witch than any of the other books in the series.
Old 01-05-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seriously doubt the next one will do anything close to what the first movie did. Way more people read/know about Lion Witch than any of the other books in the series.
Old 01-05-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by orangerory
Way more people read Fellowship of the Ring than the rest of the trilogy. A film series is much easier to follow and keep enthused about than a book series.

Personally, I never got past book two in the series, but I am looking forward to film adaptations of all of them.
Old 01-05-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
I think what you want to avoid is Halloween 3. I've never read the books so I'm just interested in movie continuity. As for recasting, if this next one is a hit like the first, its going to be a big mental hurdle for the general public to overcome.
Halloween 3? That wasn't a case of recasting. To make that same decision would be like making a film called Narnia and it having nothing to do at all with the previous installments.

Oh, and Halloween 3 kicks ass!