I hate Sega

Old 01-03-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate Sega

SO. FUCKING. MUCH.

Old 01-03-08, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How about some context? Those pictures are too low resolution to tell what's going on.
Old 01-03-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this their own version of "Mario Tennis"? Looks like a Monkey Ball character vs someone from JSF?
Old 01-03-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
It's because they tease with the promise of more Jet Set Radio.

Then change the prespective to show it's another arcade tennis game, yippie.
Old 01-03-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Uh.... so?
Old 01-03-08, 11:14 AM
Suspended

I heart Sega.
Old 01-03-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
How about some context? Those pictures are too low resolution to tell what's going on.
It's Sega Superstars Tennis, these are from the DS version, hence the small size. Basically, RichC2 covers my feelings on it. On the plus side, Sega acknowledges the game enough to be considered a "superstar," meaning there's a (slight) possibility we'll see the franchise again. On the minus side.. Sega hasn't done so hot in the last five years (and they dissolved the studio responsible for the original games).
Old 01-03-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
On the minus side.. Sega hasn't done so hot in the last five years (and they dissolved the studio responsible for the original games).
This reminds me of a recent quote I saw on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/338151/sonics-fina...-+-super-sonic

While we're not generally in the habit of posting updates on Super Smash Bros. Brawl news outside of the weekly Dojo Dump aside from new characters and the occasional costume, I thought Sonic the Hedgehog fans would get a real kick out of the Christmas reveal of his Final Smash super move. Using the power of the Chaos Emeralds combined, he is Captain Planet Super Sonic! The hedgehog transforms into a golden streak, blazing over enemies in an unblockable display of what makes Sonic the fastest game character around. This just goes to show that while Sega might have lost sight of what sonic is all about, Nintendo still has a pretty good idea. SSBB promises to be the best Sonic game in years. Sad, isn't it?
Old 01-03-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's times like this that make me wish I liked Smash Bros
Old 01-03-08, 12:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I heart Sega.
Do you really heart Sega or are you just naming things in the thread and saying you heart them?
Old 01-03-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is Sega even relevant enough anymore to hate? I pity Sega personally.
Old 01-03-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
Is Sega even relevant enough anymore to hate? I pity Sega personally.
Some people are still clinging to their nostalgia of when the company was relevant. Sonic games still sell insanely well to kids, though it doesn't have that "all ages" appeal that Mario does anymore because the older crowds are aware of the quality issues that the series has had since the Dreamcast (or since its inception if you were me, but I digress). Virtual Fighter is still very well respected but it's complicated to the point of have a very small audience. Virtual Tennis I believe has its accolades as well and the development team responsible for that are handing this new tennis game. Other than that.. their stench is seemingly even starting to leak out to people who've held onto to their precious memories over the last five years ignoring their questionable output. Sega does seem to be on track recently as a publisher though.. so their name is regaining a bit of its respect due to other developer's work (Crush, Armored Core, The Club, etc.)
Old 01-03-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sad thing is even their two critical successes from last year, Crush and VF5, were poor sellers. Even when they get something right no once cares.

It does look like that Wii Olympic minigame collection has legs and continues to sell, but it also had Mario in it.

I was a fan of Sega up to the Dreamcast era, but they have had so many clunkers in recent years that I just can't understand how anyone has a nostalgia for them anymore. What they did to Phantasy Star Online alone angers me. I doubt that Tennis game you posted or any of their other 2008 games are going to win me back.

Last edited by darkside; 01-03-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crush wasn't even THEIR critical success, it was made by Zoë Mode (also known as Kuju Entertainment, known for making Battalion Wars and Geometry Wars Galaxies). I know the last time I ragged on Sega somebody mentioned Armored Core 4 in defense.. which was made by From Software. This ties into what I said above in that they seem to be PUBLISHING a few decent games.
Old 01-03-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, VF5 sold 450k on the PS3 and about 120k on the X360, while not amazing number they aren't horrible.

Crush tanked, though.
Old 01-03-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm willing to bet Crush sold respectably for what was likely a low-cost title.
Old 01-03-08, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, i no it would probly never happen but i'd love for just one more sega console.

with: a new jet set radio, power stone, decent sonic game (on the lines of sonic/knuckles/adventure) and vectorman.

plus more of my fave sega games.
Old 01-03-08, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Do you really heart Sega or are you just naming things in the thread and saying you heart them?

I heart desk.
Old 01-03-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I still wish they would make a more traditional Phantasy Star RPG... or at least one with a more comprehensive single player mode. I realize that the monthly fee is probably paying their bills, but I just can't get into it.

Sonic never really made the leap to 3d, and the 2d version didn't really have the depth of Mario's 2d offerings, so I can see why the Sonic series deteriorated like that. They also sold 2K, which still makes the best basketball game around.
Old 01-03-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
nice call
Old 01-03-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love a good sequel to Jet Grind Radio (something about Future just didn't work for me), but I'm quite excited to have a Sega Superstars Tennis type game done by the Virtua Tennis. Should be great fun.
Old 01-03-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I heart
Your DVD On-Demand
Make Your Film Available for Sale on Amazon.com - No Setup Fees www.CreateSpace.com
Old 01-03-08, 04:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kotaku
The hedgehog transforms into a golden streak, blazing over enemies in an unblockable display of what makes Sonic the fastest game character around. This just goes to show that while Sega might have lost sight of what sonic is all about, Nintendo still has a pretty good idea. SSBB promises to be the best Sonic game in years. Sad, isn't it?
Ain't that the truth. The fun thing for me with Sonic was always the speed... sort of the controlled chaos of rushing through the stage. I never was a fan of the slower, more methodical levels simply because they felt like just another platform game to me. And most of the later editions, especially that last relaunch for the 360, made it impossible to have that rush and focused on crappy platforming.
Old 01-03-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
man, i no it would probly never happen but i'd love for just one more sega console.

with: a new jet set radio, powerstone , decent sonic game (on the lines of sonic/knuckles/adventure) and vectorman.

plus more of my fave sega games.
You make me want to cry mentioning that next you are gonna tell me there is a new puzzle fighter around the corner, or maybe pocket fighters also from capcom, or maybe fighting vipers the virtua fighter we all forget why must you tease me so much.
Old 01-03-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Crush wasn't even THEIR critical success, it was made by Zoë Mode (also known as Kuju Entertainment, known for making Battalion Wars and Geometry Wars Galaxies). I know the last time I ragged on Sega somebody mentioned Armored Core 4 in defense.. which was made by From Software. This ties into what I said above in that they seem to be PUBLISHING a few decent games.
Yeah, I was giving them a little credit as a publisher, but totally agree with this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.