Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Wife Swap".... Season Premiere 1.2.2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
"Wife Swap".... Season Premiere 1.2.2008

Anyone watch this show? It's one of my "guilty pleasures".

Spoiler:

Karen Gustaferro

Upstate New York mom Karen Guastaferro (54) has made her home fit for a queen -- a pageant queen that is. A former pageant contestant herself, Karen waits on her daughter Alicia (15) hand and foot. Their home is a shrine to beauty, pageant trophies and sparkle. Alicia has been winning pageants since she was 11 months old and says she "feels sorry for anyone who's not gorgeous."

Anything Alicia wants, Alicia gets, including a gift every single day under the Guastaferro's year-round Christmas tree. Ralph (61) works tirelessly to keep up with Alicia'a $100,000 a year pageant lifestyle. He loves his pageant princess and wants to make her happy all the time, allowing her "choreless" schedule of pageants, social activities and cheerleading to run their lives. At school, Alicia is one of the most popular girls, and the family embraces that, playing chauffeur to her and all her friends.

----

Angie Boss

Indiana is home to the Boss Family, where wife Angie (36), husband DuWain (41) and their daughters, Kaylyn (12), Clara (6), and Katy (2), live a modest and religious life. Angie is a feminist who teaches her girls how to live a life free from pop culture and typical female stereotypes. She homeschools her children and teaches them to be strong, academic and independent. They're told not to rely on men, and have been taught auto mechanics so they can change the oil and flat tire of a car in case of emergency.

DuWain is a special education teacher whose personal hero is Mr. Rogers. He is super strict with his daughters and says, only half jokingly, that his daughters will not be able to date until they're 30. Kaylyn is very sheltered and thinks having a lot of friends would cause a lot of problems. Clara, on the other hand, is just waiting to break out from under her mom's iron fist and secretly dreams of being a pop star.

This ep was pretty wild. The Blonde Princess daughter wasn't even that pretty.
Old 01-02-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have any of the parents hooked up with their new 'spouses' on these types of shows?
Old 01-02-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Have any of the parents hooked up with their new 'spouses' on these types of shows?
I've been wondering about this for some time now.
Old 01-02-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure why people would want to go on this show. It just seems they switch you with someone who's the complete opposite of what you are. That doesn't sound like fun. It would be alike if I went to a house where people never watched movies or sports. Why'd I want to do that?
Old 01-02-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm not sure why people would want to go on this show. It just seems they switch you with someone who's the complete opposite of what you are. That doesn't sound like fun. It would be alike if I went to a house where people never watched movies or sports. Why'd I want to do that?

That's pretty much the point and I used to think the same thing. But then I noticed that most of the time the 2 families end up learning something valuable from each other believe it or not. Uptight families ease up, and families that are too loose get tighter, people learn to appreciate what they have in their spouse and what their spouse does for them on a daily basis and what have you.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-02-08 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've been wondering about this for some time now.
I saw a Trading Spouses once where the woman who went to the guys house was pretty hot and you could tell the guy was into her. I was hoping for something.
Old 01-02-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I saw a Trading Spouses once where the woman who went to the guys house was pretty hot and you could tell the guy was into her. I was hoping for something.

I like Wife Swap more but I watch that show too. I've seen some guys who were attracted to their "new" wife.
Old 01-02-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That's pretty much the point and I used to think the same thing. But then I noticed that most of the time the 2 families end up learning something valuable from each other believe it or not. Uptight families ease up, and families that are too loose get tighter, people learn to appreciate what they have in their spouse and what their spouse does for them on a daily basis and what have you.

Most of these shows end up being positive. But not tonight. Basically on e nut job trades places with another nut job, but polar opposite. Sometimes, the people are too extreme. I certainly the "sparkle" family were.
Old 01-02-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had given up watching this show last season but I decided to DVR this just because there is nothing else to watch.

I forgot what I hated the most about this show: the annoying, omnipotent narrator who tells you what to think. I hate how everything that comes out his mouth is some sort of vast embellishment, exaggeration, or over-simplification. Right from the start when he said the one woman is a home-schooler who pushes her "extreme feminist agenda". Ugh.

I much preferred "Trading Spouses" which had no narrator, and just let you make up your own mind about each wife via the editing. I mean it is obvious each show tries to paint each woman as a stereotype, but I just hate how Wife Swap has to come right out and tell us how to think. Show, don't tell.
Old 01-03-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Point taken Jadzia. He can be rather pushy like the producers/writers have some sort of agenda. The only thing I don't like about Trading Spouses is the money thing at the end. It seems like some use it like a final way to screw the other family or even specific members.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-03-08 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the money thing was dumb. It was kind of a fun twist at first, but how stupid was it after the show had been on for 2 years that they tried to edit it like it was still a surprise that the other woman would spend the money for them.

I always liked Trading Spouses for those long, awkward pauses when people would try and have a conversation. I am sure they were edited to hell to make people look stupid and increase tension that might not have been there, but it was still fun to watch. I felt more like I was a fly on the wall watching the family. Wife Swap just hits you over the head with it.

They probably should have combined the two to make one really good series. Trading Spouses is over now, right? I have not heard anything about more shows.
Old 01-03-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish that I got a present every day.
Old 01-03-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love this show, but Jadzia does make a point. I feel the editing was really pokig fun at the pageant family... so does anyone really agree with the pageant family? I thought they were insane!
Old 01-03-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
I love this show, but Jadzia does make a point. I feel the editing was really pokig fun at the pageant family... so does anyone really agree with the pageant family? I thought they were insane!
Totally looneytunes. Can't imagine anyone thinking that is normal.

I find the pageants for little kids quite creepy anyway.

Editing was poking fun, but really, it only added some levity or "sparkle" to the show. The insanity was there regardless of editing. Christmas year round. Present every day. Doing her school work. OK to treat wait staff like crap. Shrines to her crowns and trophies. Spray on tans. Racks of dresses. Daughter could barely read. Etc Etc Etc

The other family was a bit out there too... almost anti-male compared to the concept of building strong and independent females. Makes me wonder how they would have been different had they had a son. Maybe not at all. Some of it was a little bit much. The routine of teaching the girls car maintenance was funny. In two weeks we saw a tire being changed and the oil being changed. What else would they do? Or do they repeat that? Makes me wonder how much was done just for the show to buy into the caricature.
Old 01-03-08, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still cannot get over how stupid Alicia (wasn't that her name) was...when she was asked what Rosa Parks did she said "She stooded up for her self". Seriously, stooded up? WTH? Then when she was making the poster it cut to a private taping of the other mom and she said that the girl couldn't write complete sentences....and we all saw her erasing America b/c she misspelled it. I didn't catch how she spelled it.

I thought the same thing about the car mechanics-- Other than changing the oil and changing the tire what more do you need to know? Maybe changing the battery...

I also don't get how a who woman who stays at home during the day while her husband goes to work and earns all of the money can teach her children to never depend on a man. Is she using herself as an example if she does..."If you can't think for yourself, change your own tire, name enough famous women then you will be depending on a man to take care of you the rest of your life...like ME" And how does that make the husband feel. If he is teaching his girls not to be like their mother having to depend on him for food, shelter, etc. Shouldn't that make him feel worthless that his wife thinks she never needs him (even though she obviously does because he brings home the $$)
Old 01-03-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
The 15 year old pagent queen had some pretty jacked up teeth for someone who values looks much as she does. What kind of parent would do her homework? It nice to see she made some changes by the end of the show.
Old 01-03-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brooke789

I also don't get how a who woman who stays at home during the day while her husband goes to work and earns all of the money can teach her children to never depend on a man. Is she using herself as an example if she does..."If you can't think for yourself, change your own tire, name enough famous women then you will be depending on a man to take care of you the rest of your life...like ME" And how does that make the husband feel. If he is teaching his girls not to be like their mother having to depend on him for food, shelter, etc. Shouldn't that make him feel worthless that his wife thinks she never needs him (even though she obviously does because he brings home the $$)
But the Feminist Mom was a Quaker Preacher wasn't she? I would imagine that takes up a lot of her day. I can appreciate what she's teaching her daughters but there was no balance in her teachings.

Also, when Alicia mentioned Oprah, she kinda acted ike Oprah hadn't done anything worth mentioning. Oprah may not be a "Rosa Parks", but she's one of the most powerful women in America and I don't think that's anything blow off. It certainly proves that Women can do anything and can make it big just like any man.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-03-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: "Wife Swap".... Season Premiere 1.2.2008

Anyone watch tonight's episode? That black Mom was such an angry bitch i wanted to slap the shit out of her. Especially when she came home and wanted to take down the drawing her daughter made Feel bad for her kids and Husband.

The Hippie mom and dad need to start some kind of education for their children. They're screwed when they have to work in the real world.
Old 04-12-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: "Wife Swap".... Season Premiere 1.2.2008

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The 15 year old pagent queen had some pretty jacked up teeth for someone who values looks much as she does.
Hopefully she earned enough from prostitution to fix her grill.