Reload this Page >

Colorized versions of High Noon & Red River

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-02-08, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have the b/w versions of these movies but am looking for "colorized" versions. (VHS or DVD) Can anyone help me or put me in the right direction.

I know a lot of people hate the colorization of movies but I am actually a fan.

Some are great such as Wake of the Red Witch while some are pathetic such as Its a Wonderful Life.

I have in colorized many Bogart & John Wayne & Errol Flynn movies (about 20 in all.)

Thanks
The Dustman
Old 01-02-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could anyone lead me to colorized DVDs of Casablanca and Citizen Kane? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-08, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Colorized versions?

You're kidding? Right?
Old 01-02-08, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like a black-and-white version of "The Wizard of Oz."

Dusty, welcome to the forum. But I have to say, with your first two posts being about colorization, I don't hold out much hope for your future here.
Old 01-02-08, 07:16 AM

I predict that this thread will run and run...that's the thing about a new year. Just like the old year.
Old 01-02-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking for colorized reproductions of Picasso's black-and-white drawings.
Old 01-02-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not a fan of colorizing either. To me, having the original black & white movies and not altering the original's with colorization, keeps alive their historical value. I want to have and watch movies as they were meant to be seen.
I understand other people do not see it that way, all I can say is to each his own.
P.S.- I even was upset when they colorized some of the Three Stooges shorts.
Old 01-02-08, 09:30 AM

*insert face of Ted Turner here*
Old 01-02-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'd like a black-and-white version of "The Wizard of Oz."
I just want someone to colorize the opening and final scenes of The Wizard of Oz. I mean, what happened there? Did they run out of color film and have to settle for B&W?

Old 01-02-08, 12:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you should hold your breath for the previously colorized versions of most films coming out on DVD.

As far as I know, the original rights holders (or at least the current ones) would hold rights to release the films in their original forms, while Ted Turner would own rights to his colorized version. But, I don't believe he can release just his colorized versions without the actual film rights holder's permission.

And I just don't think that the film rights holders and Ted Turner will both agree to share profits and release B&W and Colorized versions of films.

I'm pretty sure that (and the fact that most people are not fans of the artistic result of his colorization process) are the reasons why new B&W/Color versions of films (i.e. It's a Wonderful Life) are doing newly colorized versions and not using existing ones.

Anybody have any other insight on this directly from studio people?

Last edited by wahlers; 01-02-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think a lot of modern movies would be better if they were in black and white, but that's a whole other matter (and I mean shot that way of course, not changed by someone else afterwards).
Old 01-02-08, 01:22 PM

I wonder if anybody knows how to shot a film in B&W and make it look good anymore?

It's just funny to look at modern films in B&W and see the problems.

Example 1: Clerks. Shot in black & white, but lacking a lot of depth in the shots. Also, a lot of the grays in clothing, set dressing, etc. get lost in each other due to similar tones, etc.

Example 2: Pleasantville. Shot in color and then desaturated. There's really just little-to-no contrast in most of the film. Watch almost anything old that was in black in white, even TV shows like Leave it to Beaver and The Andy Griffith show, and then put in Pleasantville, and it almost looks like when you watch a movie with light shining in the window on your TV...

Now, don't get me wrong. I like both of these films, but I'm talking about the technical aspect of the picture.

Tim Burton got the feel pretty good on Ed Wood though...
Old 01-02-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wahlers
Example 1: Clerks. Shot in black & white, but lacking a lot of depth in the shots. Also, a lot of the grays in clothing, set dressing, etc. get lost in each other due to similar tones, etc.
I don't know if "Clerks" is a good example. It was made for $1.98 by a first-time director, and without proper lighting equipment. I don't think they were too concerned about the cinematography.

I would look more toward "Raging Bull," "Schindler's List" or "The Man Who Wasn't There," which I think do indicate cinematographers know how to shoot in black and white.

Man, what was Scorsese thinking? We need a colorized "Raging Bull."
Old 01-02-08, 03:40 PM

Wow !!!
Am I the only fan of "colorized" movies.
Now don't get me wrong..I loved Red River & High Noon..but would love to see them in color. They have both been shown on TV years ago in the "colorized" version & someone would have to have copys.. & if that have then I am interested.

BTW Patrick McCart..you can get the colorized Casablanca in VHS at http://www.ioffer.com They never "colorized Citizen Kane.

Also BTW...This is a great site
Old 01-02-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Dustman
Wow !!!
Yes.
Old 01-02-08, 04:44 PM

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but even though the newly colorized "It's a Wonderful Life" is really the only colorized film that I've seen that I like, I still think people are being awfully catty and rude to people just asking a question.

If this were a thread about a more popular topic, a lot of these posts would be considered crapping and people would have been told to stop by a moderator, but it looks like a blind eye is turned when it's something not-so-popular like colorized films...
Old 01-02-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'am still looking for a colorized version of "The Last Picture Show".
Old 01-02-08, 06:24 PM

All kidding aside, I'm curious to see "The Man Who Wasn't There" in color. If I remember right that's how it was released in Japan. But it's just a slight curiosity so I won't be going multi-region.

As to contemporary B&W films, I'd add "Good Night and Good Luck" to the list of well-shot films. Haven't seen "Good German" but heard good things (about how it's shot -- haven't heard such good things about the film itself).
Old 01-02-08, 06:46 PM

I have been a member here reading for many years, and every year the stuck up elitist attitude of members gets worse and worse. It's sickening. Live and let live. If a guy asks a question about colorized films, leave him alone and keep your elitist opinions to yourself.
Old 01-02-08, 06:52 PM

Wow !!!
No...you are one of three that I know of.

Check out the ITS A WONDEFUL LIFE thread.
Old 01-02-08, 06:55 PM

And....no, you won't find these on DVD colorized....and probably never will.

Mind you, I'm not making a judgement myself. I think they should colorize movies if folks want to see them.

But there is only three of you.
Old 01-02-08, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Banky
I have been a member here reading for many years, and every year the stuck up elitist attitude of members gets worse and worse. It's sickening. Live and let live. If a guy asks a question about colorized films, leave him alone and keep your elitist opinions to yourself.
Well....SOMEBODY woke up on the wrong side of the bed....Mister Grouchy Pants.
Old 01-02-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Banky
What's elitist about mocking people who want colorized movies? People just need to accept that B&W movies are B&W and be done with it. No one cares if a 1940s film has a DTS 5.1 mix instead of mono, so why would anyone want a B&W film in color besides being too lazy to admire the original photography.
Old 01-02-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow !!!
Now don't get me wrong..I loved Red River & High Noon..but would love to see them in color. They have both been shown on TV years ago in the "colorized" version & someone would have to have copys.. & if that have then I am interested.

BTW Patrick McCart..you can get the colorized Casablanca in VHS at http://www.ioffer.com They never "colorized Citizen Kane.

Also BTW...This is a great site
Patrick, you better write that url down and get your copy before they sell out!

FWIW, I thought the colorization of IAWL was the best colorization I've seen to date. Miles ahead of Miracle On 34th Street, for instance. But still, you can't beat the original b&w restored transfer.
Old 01-02-08, 10:58 PM

I hope Fox or Warner Bros starts reissuing their Noir titles in color, it would really lighten those gloomy flicks up

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.