Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Who thinks we are ready for a HD Bargains Forum?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about spinning HD Bargains to their own forum?
For
67.86%
Against
23.81%
Don't Care
8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to post this in the DVD Bargains Forum, but since it is not technically "a deal", I thought here would be better.

With the explosion of HD/BD deals of late, I am finding that I have to reference at least 2 threads for each High Def disc deal, one in the DVD Bargains Forum and one in the HD Forum. I would like to reference just one Forum, if possible.

To play Devil's advocate for my own proposal, I am not quite sure how to handle things like speedy's weekly ad postings that normally have all sorts of deals, both DVD and HD included ... though I guess he already posts games, CDs and other stuff in it anyway.

So, cast your vote ...

Last edited by flix1; 12-31-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-31-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,227 Posts
I'm all for one, for what that's worth.
Old 12-31-07, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a better question might be how to handle HD in general? Should we have the full range of forums (main, hardware, reviews, bargains) as their own section on the main page, have each of the HD forums as a sub-forum of their SD counterpart, or have these other areas be sub-forums of the current HD forum?
Old 12-31-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's a bad idea. The best option would probably be a subforum in the bargains section, similar to the club section, that would be for HD bargains only. That would make it so all the HD people would only have one thread for deals instead of two the way it is now. Also, for those of us that haven't made the jump yet, it would keep the HD deals apart from the regular deals so we don't have to skim through a bunch of stuff we have no use for.

For threads like Speedy's I say just keep them in the regular bargain section. I really don't see how it would be a problem. His threads have basically become a catchall thread for the weekly ads anyway. Anymore there's as much discussion about electronics and computers as there is DVDs.
Old 01-01-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
another vote for a subforum in the bargains section.
Old 01-01-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the bargain subforum is the best idea. If we break it up into a bunch of forums (main, hardware, reviews, bargains, etc) newcomers, of which there will be a good number of for awhile, looking for general info might be confused and lost.
Old 01-01-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A sub-forum is still its own forum, and it would probably organize better (and not clutter the main forum page), so sounds good to me.
Old 01-01-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
What he said.
Old 01-01-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think everything should just stay in the DVD Bargains. I don't think there's that much to clutter it all up.
Old 01-02-08, 06:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Sounds good.
Old 01-02-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm absolutely for a subforum for HD bargains. I miss a lot of the bargains if I forget to check the main Bargains thread, and a lot of the bargains are awfully time sensitive.
Old 01-02-08, 09:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Against. There's no reason why these deals can't be posted in the existing DVD Bargains forum.
Old 01-02-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Groucho
Against. There's no reason why these deals can't be posted in the existing DVD Bargains forum.
There's no reason why they can't, but the question is -- should they?

I don't think there's a lot of overlap. People who want DVD deals probably don't care about HD DVD and Blu-ray deals, and people who want HD DVD and Blu-ray deals probably don't care much about wading through pages of pages of deals on standard definition discs. Keeping the two separate makes it easier for everyone to see what they want.
Old 01-02-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There's no reason why they can't, but the question is -- should they?

I don't think there's a lot of overlap. People who want DVD deals probably don't care about HD DVD and Blu-ray deals, and people who want HD DVD and Blu-ray deals probably don't care much about wading through pages of pages of deals on standard definition discs. Keeping the two separate makes it easier for everyone to see what they want.
Adam is exactly right.
Old 01-02-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Groucho is against, I am for it!
Old 01-02-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
If Groucho is against, I am for it!
Now I'm really confused.
Old 01-03-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. I'm surprised an overwhelming vote "for" this. Personally, I like to have all of the bargains in one forum. I still purchase some SD DVDs (mainly TV shows), and like to have them all in one section. Most of the coupons are not SD/HD exclusive.
Old 01-03-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
HD Bargains for non-HD people clogs up the Bargains forum.

However, if you're in the HD forum, you're more likely to be interested in any HD bargains.

I say either move threads to the HD forum, or create a subforum within HD. but not in bargains.

(I think an "HD Bargain" thread has a lot more to do with HD than a bargain).
Old 01-03-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There isn't much activity in the deals forums these days compared to the old days, what would be the point of bifurcating it further? DVD Deals are DVD deals. Keep them all together. There will always be things certain people will have to skip over because they aren't interested in them....

Otherwise with this logic you would need to separate the HD-DVD deals from the Blu-Ray deals...
Old 01-04-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
Wow. I'm surprised an overwhelming vote "for" this. Personally, I like to have all of the bargains in one forum. I still purchase some SD DVDs (mainly TV shows), and like to have them all in one section. Most of the coupons are not SD/HD exclusive.
Agreed. In fact, I'd much prefer to have the DVD Bargains changed to DVD/HD Bargains, and start moving stuff out of HD Talk.

I think splitting it into a separate HD Bargains thread would only be a "benefit" to people who have no interest in high def content. For Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD users, the new thread would only change the two threads we have to check: DVD Bargains and HD Bargains, instead of DVD Bargains and HD Talk.
Old 01-04-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
I think splitting it into a separate HD Bargains thread would only be a "benefit" to people who have no interest in high def content.
Well, it'd also benefit people who want high-def deals and have little-to-no interest in DVD sales. The impression I've gotten from the users in the HD Forum is that a very large percentage of them have either stopped buying DVDs outright or have seen that number dwindle to a tiny trickle.
Old 01-04-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
The impression I've gotten from the users in the HD Forum is that a very large percentage of them have either stopped buying DVDs outright or have seen that number dwindle to a tiny trickle.
That's where I'm at as well. I've bought a couple DVDs in Wal Mart's dump bin but new releases have been primarily on HD-DVD (when available).
Old 01-04-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it'd also benefit people who want high-def deals and have little-to-no interest in DVD sales. The impression I've gotten from the users in the HD Forum is that a very large percentage of them have either stopped buying DVDs outright or have seen that number dwindle to a tiny trickle.
Well if people post and update every thread that pertains to both SD and HD in both places (including generic coupons, promotions, and the weekly ads), so people could just look at the HD forum and not miss anything, then yes that would be great for those that have gone exclusively to HD. Seems like it would be a lot of duplicate effort on behalf of the people that post the deals, but I agree it might make things easier for the readers.
Old 01-05-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
<b>I say either move threads to the HD forum</b>, or create a subforum within HD. but not in bargains.

(I think an "HD Bargain" thread has a lot more to do with HD than a bargain).
Bargains are posted in HD Talk as it is, and I'm not sure the movement of the remaining few HD bargains is going to add any unwanted clutter. As HD gains a stronger foothold, it may require multiple forums, but I don't see any harm just keeping everything in one forum for now.

das
Old 01-05-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People who want DVD deals probably don't care about HD DVD and Blu-ray deals
Sums up my thoughts exactly.

My vote is to move 'em out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.