DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anime Year in Review (R1): 2007 Edition

Old 12-30-07, 09:46 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts
Anime Year in Review (R1): 2007 Edition

ANIME YEAR IN REVIEW (R1): 2007 EDITION

It has an up and down year for the anime industry here in North America. It was even sadder to see Geneon Entertainment depart the industry with what they have contributed over the years. With the uncertainty of the anime industry, I'm curious what 2008 will bring.
  • What are you takes on the releases this year?
  • What are you looking forward to for 2008?
  • What would you like to see happening?
  • Feel free to chime in to whatever comes to mind!

List of Studio Releases provided by AoD:
Old 12-30-07, 09:47 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 520 Likes on 457 Posts
My Quick Take...

ADV Films:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Blue Seed (Mitama), Godannar, Maburaho, Slayers (OVA), Yumeria
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Ah! My Goddess - Flights of Fancy, Air (TV & Movie), Kuraru: Phantom Memory, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Pani Poni Dash!, Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden, Utawarerumono, Welcome to the NHK
  • Upcoming Releases (Finishing): Ah! My Goddess - Flights of Fancy, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Welcome to the NHK
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): 5cm Per Second, Gurren Lagann, Kanon
  • Will Look Into: Best Student Council, Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden, Tokyo Majin
  • My Favorite Releases: Air, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Utawarerumono
  • Best Release: Le Chevalier d'Eon
  • Comment: They have a couple very solid releases this year including the likes of Air, Le Chevalier d'Eon, and Utawarerumono. I'm looking foward to releases for 5cm Per Second, Gurren Lagann, and Kanon for next year.
  • Grade: A
AN Entertainment:
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Haré+Guu, Haré+Guu Deluxe
  • Comment: Haré+Guu is one of the best comedy anime that was released this year. The series can be strange at times and over the stop as well. Nevertheless I'm glad that they took a chance on it. With that said I don't see them licensing/releasing anything in 2008.
  • Grade: B / B-
AnimEigo:
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Yawara! (Boxset 1)
  • Comment: While there were no anime releases for them this year, I'm can't wait for the first boxset release of Yawara!
  • Grade: N/A
Bandai Entertainment:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Blue Submarine No.6 (Anime Legends), Scrapped Princess (Anime Legends)
  • Single Volumes (Owned): .hack//ROOTS, Clockwork Fighters Hiwou's War, Eureka Seven, My-HiME, My-Otome, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Upcoming Releases (Finishing): Eureka Seven, My-Otome
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Cowboy Bebop Remix: Complete Collection, Lucky Star, My-Otome Zwei, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • My Favorite Releases: Eureka Seven, My-HiME, My-Otome, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Best Release: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Comment: Bandai Entertainment is seemingly on the rise with some of their interesting licenses. They have some really solid releases this including Eureka Seven, My-HiME, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I can't wait for the release of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I will be looking foward to Code Geass airing on Adult Swim in the spring as well. I quite curious to see what they will do for the LEs for Lucky Star.
  • Grade: A- / B+
Bandai Visual:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Gunbuster
  • Will Look Into: Gunbuster 2, Gunbuster Vs. Diebuster Aim for the Top! The Gattai Movie, Wings of Honneamise
  • Comment: While they offered some solid releases, the prices are not very consumer friendly. Dispite all that, I thought Gunbuster was still a solid release.
  • Grade: B- / C+
Broccoli International / Synch-Point:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): FLCL
  • Comment: FLCL: Ultimate Collection was a great release for them though they had replication problems along the way. However I don't see them licensing/releasing anything at all for 2008.
  • Grade: B-
Central Park Media:
  • Comment: They are apparently still alive somehow. I don't expect much from them next year. Maybe they will re-release some of their titles.
Discotek Media:
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy
  • Comment: Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy was their only anime release this year. Lupin fans should enjoy this movie. However I don't expect them releasing/licensing any anime next year, especially with Lupin III: Legend of the Gold Babylon been delayed indefinitely.
  • Grade: B
FUNimation Entertainment:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Burst Angel, Desert Punk, Dragon Ball Z (Season 2), Initial D (Season 1, 2), Kodocha (Season 1), Rumbling Hearts, Samurai 7, Slayers (Season 1), Spiral (Viridian), The Galaxy Railways, Yu Yu Hakusho (Sets 4, 5, 6)
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Basilisk, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Cat, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Hell Girl, Moon Phase, Mushi-Shi, Origin - Spirits of the Past, Rumbling Hearts, Samurai 7, School Rumble, Solty Rei, Speed Grapher, Suzuka, Trinity Blood, Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
  • Upcoming Releases (Finishing): BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Hell Girl, Mushi-Shi, School Rumble, Suzuka
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Darker than Black, Peach Girl: Complete Collection, Shuffle!, xxxHOLiC/Tsubasa Feature Film, xxxHOLiC (TV)
  • Will Look Into: Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
  • My Favorite Releases: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Moon Phase, Mushi-Shi, Rumbling Hearts, Samurai 7, School Rumble, Suzuka
  • Best Release: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
  • Comment: With Geneon out of the picture, FUNimation has become my favorite studio. They have offered some really solid releases this year including the likes of BECK, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, and School Rumble. FUNimation knows what they are doing, so I hope they will keep up the good work.
  • Grade: A+
Geneon Entertainment:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Hand Maid May, Human Crossing, Ikki-Tousen (Thinpak), Popotan, Strawberry Eggs, Tenchi: Movies, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenjho Tenge, Tetsuin 28
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Black Lagoon, Disgaea, Elemental Gelade, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, GUNxSWORD, Hellsing Ultimate, Karin, Kyo Kara Maoh!, Paradise Kiss, Rozen Maiden, Rozen Maiden: Träumend, Saiyuki Reload Gunlock, Shakugan no Shana, Shonen Onmyoji, Tales of Phantasia, The Law of Ueki, The Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry, Zipang
  • My Favorite Releases: Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, GUNxSWORD, Hellsing Ultimate, Karin, Paradise Kiss, Rozen Maiden, Shakugan no Shana, When They Cry, Zipang
  • Best Release: Black Lagoon
  • Comment: With Geneon's departure, what will happen to the finished, unfinished, unreleased series? We will probably find out more about their releases sometime next year.
  • Grade: A+
Illumitoon Entertainment:
  • Comment: Why did they even bother entering the R1 anime industry? They even had former FUNimation personnells and yet they don't how to release titles without distribution/production issues. I'm glad I wasn't intersted in any of their licensed series.
  • Grade: F
ImaginAsian Entertainment:
  • Will Look Into: Cat's Eye: Season 1 Collection, Nobody's Boy Remi: Collection
  • Comment: I didn't get to watch any of their releases this year, but it's always good to see someone take a chance on older anime series.
Manga Entertainment:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Tactics
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C - Solid State Society (LE), Karas, Noein
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Tokko: Complete Collection
  • My Favorite Releases: Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C - Solid State Society, Noein
  • Best Release: Noein
  • Comment: It was a solid year for Manga Entertainment. Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C - Solid State Society was excellent while Noein is equally great on its own. I'm curious what their plans will be starting in the spring, since they don't have that much unlicensed series.
  • Grade: B / B-
Media Blasters:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Grenadier (Economy), Loveless, The Twelve Kingdoms (Economy Boxset 1 & 2)
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Genshiken (2 & OVA), Girl's High: Complete Collection, Step Up Love Story, Strawberry Panic, Tweeny Witches
  • Will Look Into: Simoun
  • Comment: I didn't collect any single volumes with them this year. There are some intersting releases coming next year, so I will definitely be buying more titles from them.
  • Grade: B- / B
New Galaxy Anime:
  • Comment: This new anime studio announced that they will be releasing Fantastic Adventures of Unico. I'm kind of intersted in this release if it comes out next year.
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Paprika, Tekkon Kinkreet
  • Will Look Into: Blood+
  • Comment: I have seen Paprika in theater already. I probably won't buy Paprika and Tekkon Kinkreet until I get a HD setup going. I'm intrigued by Blood+, but the price of the first collection seems a bit high.
The Right Stuf International:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, Super GALS - Season 2
  • Single Volumes (Owned): To Heart
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Boys Be..: Complete Collection, Victorian Romance Emma (Season 1 & 2) Collections
  • Will Look Into: The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye
  • Best Release: Super GALS - Season 2
  • Comment: They did great with what they have. Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars and Super GALS - Season 2 collection releases were great. I'm looking forward to the Victorian Romance Emma collections sometime in 2008. With that said, look for some sort of big announcement/license(s) from them in early/mid 2008 like Shawne K has hinted.
  • Grade: B+ / A-
Viz Media:
  • Complete Collections (Owned): Bleach (Boxset 1), Naruto Uncut (Boxset 3), Ranma 1/2 (Season 1, 2, 3), The Prince of Tennis (Boxset 1)
  • Single Volumes (Owned): Death Note
  • Upcoming Releases (To Be Collected): Buso Renkin: Collection 1, Death Note, Honey & Clover, Ranma 1/2 (Season 4 - 7)
  • Best Release: Death Note
  • Comment: They did a good job with they have. Bleach was a hit while Naruto continues to sell for them. I really like what I have seen so far for Death Note. The other series that I'm looking forward to would be Buso Renkin and Honey & Clover.
  • Grade: A- / B+
Warner Brothers:
  • Comment: Appleseed: Ex Machina will be released in March. I'm looking foward to this release.
<HR>
Final 5 Favorite Releases: Le Chevalier d'Eon, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Black Lagoon, Death Note
Best Release: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (not completed), Le Chevalier d'Eon (completed)
Old 12-30-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started catching up with Anime series (not movie such as Hayao Miyazaki's films which is far best of Anime). I have seen about 15 series, so far and more than 50 series to go!

The best 2007 release is Black Lagoon. Gotta love Revy character - badass girl!

What I'm looking forward to: Black Lagoon the Second Barrage to be rescued by different studio.
What I would like to see it happening: Gunslinger Girls second season and the next Full Metal Panic! series.

My Anime series top 5 rank:
1. Fullmetal Alchemist
2. Chobits
3. Black Lagoon
4. FMP
5. Gunslinger Girls
Old 12-30-07, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
ANIME YEAR IN REVIEW (R1): 2007 EDITION
[*]Feel free to chime in to whatever comes to mind! [/list]
I'm simply going to go with that question for now; very briefly.

1) FUNimation -
all I have to say is:
A) Beck Mongolian Chop Squad
B) Mushi-shi
C) Origin: Spirits of the Past
there are other titles that's not coming to mind right now.

3) I agree with you on Geneon's departure/restructure, "FUNimation has become my favorite studio." ADV films is almost neck and neck due to the following releases in no specific order:
(1) Welcome to the NHK
(2) Red Garden
(3) Tokyo Majin
(4) *maybe* Le Chevalier d'Eon
(5) Air TV
(6) Pani Poni Dash
(7) *to be released title: 5cm Per Second

3) I will actually rate Bandai Visuals with a solid D for the lack of an ENGLISH AUDIO TRACK; price is more forgivable than the lack of English dub track; but an A for overall selection from what clips I have seen.
(A) SOS! Tokyo Metro Express: The Next - lack of English dub - BOO! to you Bandai Visuals
(B) Freedom - BOO! to you Bandai Visuals
(C) Demon Prince Enma - BOO! to you Bandai Visuals

4) Rightstuf International
-one comment. Excited to see Victorian Romance Emma, unfortunately a C/D rating on Rightstuf's part on this upcoming release because of the lack of English audio dub track.

That is all for now.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 12-30-07 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-31-07, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any predictions for 2008? I'm seriously thinking Shawne's note of "And if this last thing goes through, everyone will cheer." on the AOD forums is concerning Nozomi taking over production of (at least some of) Geneon's unfinished series. After all, Right Stuf and Geneon have a history together, at least on the customer support end of things. I can't really think of anything else that "everyone will cheer", but at the same time, I don't want to jinx anything.