Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rambo Trilogy (Artisan) (w/ DTS)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rambo Trilogy (Artisan) (w/ DTS)

Old 12-29-07, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rambo Trilogy (Artisan Release)

This is the one with the silver cover, and with DTS sound.

Is there only one release of this? Because sometimes I see people say it comes in a "metal slip case," some say it comes in a "metal case."

And is this version better than the new one? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blued888; 12-29-07 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was a metal slip cover over top of a flip-open "book" style case (similar in style to the older Warner TV show season packaging....)
Also, be aware you'll probably scratch up some of the back cover of the paperboard case when you remove the metal cover.....it comes on it pretty tight, and the bare edge of where the metal meets will unfortunately do some damage...

If I could only choose one set, I'd definitely take this one over the "newer" Lionsgate "Ultimate Edition"....it has much better special features and way more extras overall as well....the only two cool things the newer set has are the Stallone commentary and the alternate ending, both on First Blood....you'd be better off just picking that disc up by itself for $5 out of the Walmart dump bin and sitting it next to the Artisan trilogy...
Old 12-30-07, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where the Russian subtitles in R3 corrected on the Artisan SE release or not? I forgot which versions lacked them and which corrected them.
Old 12-30-07, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
im sure theyll be another one released right before john rambo opens and probably another with all four films in a few months
Old 12-30-07, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by blued888
This is the one with the silver cover, and with DTS sound.

Is there only one release of this? Because sometimes I see people say it comes in a "metal slip case," some say it comes in a "metal case."

And is this version better than the new one? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was the silver one you mentioned a "foiled" carton box ? not a metal case?
Old 12-30-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This set featured four disc.
The first 3 discs are double sided. Basicly the same as the two disc releases of the time. Just side one Widescreen/ Side two Full screen, along with some decent extras. The 4th disc was an exclusive disc to the box, it featured some cool content, I think there was alot of stuff on the toys and cartoon series. I may be wrong though.
Old 12-30-07, 10:33 AM
Banned

The metal set is better in terms of sound and extras, but the Ultimate Edition is better in terms of video quality, as well as adding back in the missing Russian language subtitles to RAMBO III (and it's not like the DD 5.1 audio is a slouch); my vote goes to the UE (of course, I own both, so I'm covered either way).
Old 12-30-07, 10:47 AM
Suspended

i like that set too, but i found the newer one really cheap so i bought it

soooooo pumped for new Rambo
hope i'm not disappointed
Old 12-30-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I own both too. You should be able to get them both for fairly cheap, maybe a total of $50 between the two of them if you play your cards right and that's not too bad for a single box-set, let alone two.
Old 12-30-07, 08:55 PM

For visual purpose.. here is the Metal Boxset

Old 01-07-08, 10:06 PM

Thanks guys, but for those who own both... Is the metal edition worth the additional $15 for the bonus disk alone? 'Cause I'm thinking about getting the UE at BB.
Old 01-08-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say for $15 and the free ticket to Rambo, you may as well get the UE set. The metal case set is a bit cooler in terms of extras (although it doesn't have the alt. ending to First Blood the new set has), plus it has DTS tracks and the 4th disc. If I owned neither set I'd probably go with the $15 set for price and free ticket.
Old 01-08-08, 03:05 PM

just wait, rambo will probly get the die hard treatment steelbook re-release
Old 01-08-08, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
I own the first trilogy set, one of my first DVD purchases if I recall.

And even though I have yet to watch it, I'm still considering purchasing this new set (only $7 after the movie ticket, and some new extras.

And, since I'm a features whore, I have my trigger on purchasing the 4 disc trilogy to get my hands on that 4th "bonus" disc.

And I only sorta liked the movies...... I'm sick.
Old 01-08-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I own the first trilogy set, one of my first DVD purchases if I recall.

And even though I have yet to watch it, I'm still considering purchasing this new set (only $7 after the movie ticket, and some new extras.

And, since I'm a features whore, I have my trigger on purchasing the 4 disc trilogy to get my hands on that 4th "bonus" disc.

And I only sorta liked the movies...... I'm sick.
I'm sorta in the same boat here. Own the first boxset from Artisan, i think. Contemplating getting the boxset for the free ticket. But I am also thinking about waiting for the inevitable 4 movie boxset to double dip. hmmm decisions, decisions.
Old 01-08-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by blued888
Thanks guys, but for those who own both... Is the metal edition worth the additional $15 for the bonus disk alone? 'Cause I'm thinking about getting the UE at BB.
There are lots more features exclusive to the metal version, including audio commentaries on all three films by directors/writers and featurettes on the individual movie discs. So don't think that the only reason to pick up the older set is the bonus disc.