Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Local video store closing Jan. 2nd, all games $19.99...to buy or not?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a local video store closing on Jan. 2nd. All DVD's are going to be $5, next gen games are going to be $19.99, and last gen games are $10. They are opening at 6am and giving out tickets for people to go in (in order. Each person has 5 minutes to themselves to pick 3 games & 3 dvd's. You are only allowed in one time, until all tickets are honored, then it's a free-for-all.

Here's the problem..."ALL SALES ARE FINAL". Is it worth taking a chance, for $20, on getting a rental game that may have been abused? I'm not sure if you will be able to look at the discs or not. I was thinkinking about Mass Effect, Orange Box, and Assassin's Creed. I have most of the newer releases, H3, COD4, etc... Maybe Heavenly Sword or VF5 for the PS3. The PS3 games always seem to be in, so I figure they have the best chance of not being damaged.

On the DVD side, I'm going for some brand new releases (still sealed). Probably grab Bourne Ult., Transformers, and Spiderman 3.

Would you take a chance spending $20 on a game that was a rental, that you can't return?

~S2K
Old 12-28-07, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
No.

Don't buy because they have a sale. Only buy if it's something you want.
Old 12-28-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the very least, you could ebay the games for profit. Most likely around 15$ a game if ya find you don't want to play through them.
Old 12-28-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pick up a a dozen or so AAA titles and them dump them on Half.com.
Old 12-28-07, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Decadance
At the very least, you could ebay the games for profit. Most likely around 15$ a game if ya find you don't want to play through them.
How would he profit if he would be paying the price in the title
Old 12-28-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just worried about the condition of the games. It's hard to sell a game anywhere if it's scratched. That's my dilemma. I wouldn't mind having some of the games, like Assassin's Creed, but if it doesn't play right, I'm ass-out. Same goes if I don't like it--I can't sell it, but at least it was only $20.

I have brand new (from Xmas) copies of Mario Party 8, Mario Galaxy, Sonic & Mario, COD4, Bioshock, and the Simpsons. I thought about picking some of these up, keeping them if they work fine, and selling off my new copies, but again, I'm hoping for good condition.

I'm sure we've all rented some games & DVDs that look like they slid down the street, and that's my fear.
Old 12-28-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
No.

Don't buy because they have a sale. Only buy if it's something you want.
There are plenty of games that I wouldn't pay $60 for, but for $20 they sound tasty. They have a decent library of all 3 of the systems games. I kind of ruled out the Wii games because they retail for $50, not $60, and the local CD Exchange place charges $30 for them, and the look brand new. The PS3 & 360 games (at the CDExchange place) sell for $40. I know they have 5 copies of Mass Effect, 3 Assassin's Creed, & 3 Orange Box. I figured I'd have a pretty good chance of snagging those.
Old 12-28-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Look if you can open the case and check the disc out before buying. That should help you figure out if it will work or not.

I'm assuming this is a small rental store. In that case, I'd say you're more on the safe side than if it were a big rental store. You may end up with copies of games that only have been rented by one or two people. After all, the place is closing down for a reason.
Old 12-28-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Look if you can open the case and check the disc out before buying. That should help you figure out if it will work or not.

I'm assuming this is a small rental store. In that case, I'd say you're more on the safe side than if it were a big rental store. You may end up with copies of games that only have been rented by one or two people. After all, the place is closing down for a reason.
It's actually a supermarket video store, and it's a pretty big chain/store. They went to a red-box, so they're closing down the video department. They said Netflix, On Demand, and the red box was killing their sales & rentals, so they just decided to go with the redbox & save on inventory & labor costs.
Old 12-28-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'd require that I get to look at the disc before purchase, and worst case, if you have a GameRush or other store that accepts trade in's you can trade them in there, if you don't like them, etc.
Old 12-28-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
How would he profit if he would be paying the price in the title
Most AAA titles go for around 35-40$ used on ebay. Therefore, if paying 20$ a title...well I think you can follow the math.
Old 12-28-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Decadance
Most AAA titles go for around 35-40$ used on ebay. Therefore, if paying 20$ a title...well I think you can follow the math.
you previously mentioned selling them at $15. That's where the question came from. I'm just sayin.
Old 12-28-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think he meant 15 profit.
Old 12-29-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Especially since he actually used the word "profit".
Old 12-29-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never returned a game because it didn't work ever.
Old 12-29-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah, reading is fundamental.