Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Witcher (PC) - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Witcher (PC) - any good?

I'm home for the holidays so I won't be able to play it for a few weeks, but I just got the Witcher as a gift. I asked for it because I had read many places calling it the best RPG on the PC this year. Is this good if you're a fan of Oblivion? Mass Effect? Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines? System Shock 2? Bioshock?
Old 12-27-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeff Green from Games for Windows has talked about it on that podcast, and 1UpYours. He seemed to enjoy it overall, I guess the US version cuts out the nudity thats in the European version of the game.
Old 01-28-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I just finished this. It's a nice-and-long game - I've been playing since the beginning of the month, and the 80-100 hour playing time estimate is probably spot on.

Overall - if you're a fan of RPGs like Vampire: Bloodlines, KOTOR, Oblivion, NWN, the Fallouts, Gothic 1 and 2, and AD&D Black Isle classics ... then this should be a must pick-up. Good PC RPGs don't grow on trees (especially ones that aren't click-fests, console ports, and/or mostly shooter/jumper games disguising as an RPG). And this is certainly good - maybe even great (though it's not perfect). Breaking it down:

Performance: The biggest flaw, which might be a deal-breaker for some (although recent patches seem to have helped tremendously). The Witcher HATES Vista (or maybe vice versa). I'm not alone - go to the official forums and do a "vista" search and you'll see a litany of complaints. There are many suggested work-arounds. I eventually got things working so the game didn't crash every 15 minutes, but it would still glitch up on occasion. Despite having a very new computer (well above suggested specs), framerate was erratic, especially in places with multiple enemies. I can't imagine how horribly it might run for someone on the fringe of the suggested computer specs. Load/save times could be slow at times, but presumably they were much worse before the newest patch. Overall ... playable but glitchy.

Graphics/Sound: I don't play RPGs for the eye (ear) candy, but this game seems to hold its own with other releases like NWN2 and Oblivion. And it should seem comparable to NWN2 - the game engine is a modified version of that game. I'd say its a bit more advanced than that game though. But the world looks and sounds alive, which is important for a RPG. Helping that is that this game takes the approach Ultima 7 and Gothic did - the NPCs have schedules, and seem to go about their days instead of waiting around for you to show up. Considering this game is the result of a smaller European publisher, I'd say they did quite good in this regard.

Gameplay: There's a nice tutorial built-in. I didn't have any problems getting into the flow of the game. Didn't seem overly complex. Combat is an odd bird - you have Diablo-esqe clicking on monsters, but you have to time "chains" of attacks together (timing the next click when the move is finished). It felt a bit like the Gothic games - timing special moves, while moving your guy around tactically. Spells are pretty simple to use. Alchemy is really emphasized here. Since you can't buy potions (for the most part), doing it yourself is now critical for success. Along with that, you'll be needing to pick herbs from the land for all your potion/bomb/oil needs. It's not as tedious as it might sound, and ingredients are plentiful. It can be a bit of a pain with the limited inventory slots though. Level gaining looks alot like Diablo 2, with points to spend on skill trees. Quests are nicely annotated and mapped. There are mini-games (dice poker, fistfighting, and drinking contests) but these feel underdeveloped. I found the difficulty not too bad on "Medium" settings. Unfortunately, the hardest fight for me was the Chapter 1 boss (but it got easier after that).

Story: This is where the game excels. I never heard of the Polish books this was based on, but you can really tell that there are a series of books behind this (rather than something made up just for the game). The world is kind of an adult dystopian Middle Earth - kind of like Tolkien filtered through George RR Martin, with dashes of Arthurian legend and Lovecraft. The story is not the same old "find the magic foozle to kill the big bad". It's a mix of stuff. Yeah, there's a main villain and quests to find stuff. There's also a lot of politics, social upheavals, personal vendettas, moral philosophy, relationships. There are numerous story branch-points, where decisions can impact what happens later (and some of the choices are agonizing). The NPCs are great and memorable (with solid voice acting). In KOTOR and Jade Empire style, there are great twists and turns to the story as well. Yeah, you're limited by having to play Geralt the witcher. And he has the old amnesia thing going at the start. But he's a pretty cool guy, and you can take his personality a number of ways.

And then there's the sex thing Yeah, Geralt has many opportunities to score with the ladies. You even get a little card for every lady you score with (with them in a rather provacative pose). I'm not sure what a female gamer would think of having to play this lech. It's all rather silly - sometimes you don't even realize you propositioned someone until you get the sex scene. But beyond sex, there are romances and relationships that develop as the game progresses. I really liked that - made it seem like you were in a real world with real people.

And there's the censorship thing. The publishers self-censored this for North American release, cutting out all the nudity. From what I hear, the violence and language is intact (at least compared to the British version). But that's the US for you - animations of a kill scene where your guy jumps up in the air and jams his sword through an opponents skull through their spinal column is ok. But nipples on a dryad - BIG NO NO! Anyway, the good news is that there are unofficial patches that revert the game back to the uncensored version. They should be easy to find with searches, and it worked just fine for me.

Well, that's enough writing for now. I'd be happy to do spoilerly talk if it seems anyone here has played. It's well worth picking up for CRPG fans - just be warned about the performance issues (especially if you have Vista).
Old 01-28-08, 06:38 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, The Witcher on Vista is a complete nightmare. Add in only 1 gig of RAM and you are looking at 60 to 120 second load times every time you move to another area.
Old 01-29-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm enjoying this game, although I don't think it's the second coming of RPGs like everyone else seems to. I really enjoy the setting, but the actual gameplay leaves something to be desired. It's much better than the NWN games, though.
Old 01-29-08, 12:11 PM
Banned

I tried playing The Witcher, but the load times are hellishly long on my 1 GB RAM. I just couldn't put up with it any longer. I will come back to it once I get a new computer.

As for crap performance on Vista, what game actually does run well on Vista? Pretty much every Microsoft OS is crap for gaming when it first comes out. It takes a patch or ten before the OS becomes stable for gaming.
Old 01-29-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm running Vista and 2GB of RAM and the game runs fine. I haven't had any problems with it. The Trade Quarter load times were a little long, but the other zone load times haven't been overly long. I think it's locked up once. I'm just into Chapter 4, so I think I've probably put 20+ hours into it. I really like it. I like it better than Mass Effect, which is the only other RPG I've played recently.
Old 01-29-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer
I tried playing The Witcher, but the load times are hellishly long on my 1 GB RAM. I just couldn't put up with it any longer. I will come back to it once I get a new computer.

As for crap performance on Vista, what game actually does run well on Vista? Pretty much every Microsoft OS is crap for gaming when it first comes out. It takes a patch or ten before the OS becomes stable for gaming.
1 GB of RAM? The Witcher laughs at your puny system.

I haven't been a gaming madman with Vista, but had no trouble playing NWN2 and Jade Empire on it. Though for running on Vista, I think there's normal bad and Witcher bad.
Old 01-29-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For Vista users: have you played the game with the newest patch? I've got this, but I've not played it yet.
Old 01-29-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
For Vista users: have you played the game with the newest patch? I've got this, but I've not played it yet.
I'm playing with the newest patch. It runs fine for me. I just bought it recently though, and did not play it before the patch, so I can't compare performance before and after the patch.

Last edited by Ghym; 01-29-08 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ghym
I'm running Vista and 2GB of RAM and the game runs fine. I haven't had any problems with it. The Trade Quarter load times were a little long, but the other zone load times haven't been overly long. I think it's locked up once. I'm just into Chapter 4, so I think I've probably put 20+ hours into it. I really like it. I like it better than Mass Effect, which is the only other RPG I've played recently.
Only around 20 hours by Chapter 4? Wow, you must either be fast or skipping a lot of the optional stuff.

So you must've hit some of the big decisions by now. How have you been playing it?

Spoiler:
In the first chapter, do you side with the witch or the town? I went with the witch - everyone in that town seemed to be a right group of bastards. Kind of surprised that the result of my decision was that everyone - men, women, children - got slaughtered (I'm assuming it was at the hands of the Beast, and not by my character).

Then there's the ongoing: Scoa'tai (I know - probably spelled wrong), Order, or neutral. I went Order, just because Siegfried seemed a righteous guy (if a bit naive and nerdy). And my first encounters with the Squirrels had them killing innocent people - and no matter how noble the cause and how dodgy the Order might be, I just couldn't align myself with mass murdering terrorists. Though running through town and repeatedly hearing stuff like "We don't like your kind around here" and "It's a Witcher! Hide the women!" made me question my decision (though admittedly the last comment is pretty spot on)

And the romance option: Triss or Shani. I was really torn here, and I wish the game gave you better ways to explain yourself. Shani seemed like far better wife and mother material. But that wasn't really the choice you were given. As posed in the game, Alvin was revealed to have scary powerful latent magical abilities, and the Salamandra were after him. Who should watch after him in the short term? The sweet nurse in the poor part of town? Or the rich and powerful Sorceress? Triss seemed the logical choice. Hell, especially Triss if Shani was the one you really loved. But the game took it as a hard and fast decision, and the one you didn't pick essentially hates your guts.

The little decisions are fun too. That whole quest with the Blue Eyes courtesan. The Vincent/Carmen story. The wedding soap opera at Murky Waters. The Shani party (one of my favorite cut-scenes, and one that really did a great deal at making these NPCs seem like real people). I have a saved game right before that choice - I'll have to try different invites. I wonder what Shani's response to me inviting Carmen or Siegfried would be
Old 01-29-08, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
This game has been completely off my radar, but since I love RPGs and I just got a new PC with 3 GB of RAM, this may be just the trick. I think I'll download the demo tonight and give it a shakedown.
Old 01-29-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) kinda pissed on it...then again, he pisses on everything.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...on-The-Witcher
Old 01-29-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) kinda pissed on it...then again, he pisses on everything.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...on-The-Witcher
I hope this guy's other reviews are funnier and more worthwhile than that one. That was painful just trying to make out what he was saying - and from what I can hear, he seemed to come across as a complete dolt (but the annoying kind that's so smug and self-certain they're the smartest person they know). Complains that the 60-page manual is too long and that game dialog is boring and can't be bothered to listen to. Only to be followed by more complaints that the game mechanics were hard to figure out and he couldn't follow the story (hmmm ... wonder why). The description of combat was completely wrong - though not surprising, since its doubtful he read the section in the manual about it, or even played the game long enough to get into more than a fight or two. Oh yeah, there's sex ... that'll do nicely to fill the bulk of this pseudo "review". And he admits quitting after a couple of hours, but not before insulting computer gamers (especially those who like these kind of games). I'm guessing his "schtick" is to be cranky and smug, but that was worthless. Angry Video Game Nerd does this sort of thing so much better.
Old 01-30-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Only around 20 hours by Chapter 4? Wow, you must either be fast or skipping a lot of the optional stuff.
No, I've been doing every side quest I can find. I've had the game about 2 weeks, and have played it everyday except maybe 1 or 2, so I've probably put in more than 20 hours. I just have no idea how many.

So you must've hit some of the big decisions by now. How have you been playing it?

Spoiler:
In the first chapter, do you side with the witch or the town? I went with the witch - everyone in that town seemed to be a right group of bastards. Kind of surprised that the result of my decision was that everyone - men, women, children - got slaughtered (I'm assuming it was at the hands of the Beast, and not by my character).

Then there's the ongoing: Scoa'tai (I know - probably spelled wrong), Order, or neutral. I went Order, just because Siegfried seemed a righteous guy (if a bit naive and nerdy). And my first encounters with the Squirrels had them killing innocent people - and no matter how noble the cause and how dodgy the Order might be, I just couldn't align myself with mass murdering terrorists. Though running through town and repeatedly hearing stuff like "We don't like your kind around here" and "It's a Witcher! Hide the women!" made me question my decision (though admittedly the last comment is pretty spot on)

And the romance option: Triss or Shani. I was really torn here, and I wish the game gave you better ways to explain yourself. Shani seemed like far better wife and mother material. But that wasn't really the choice you were given. As posed in the game, Alvin was revealed to have scary powerful latent magical abilities, and the Salamandra were after him. Who should watch after him in the short term? The sweet nurse in the poor part of town? Or the rich and powerful Sorceress? Triss seemed the logical choice. Hell, especially Triss if Shani was the one you really loved. But the game took it as a hard and fast decision, and the one you didn't pick essentially hates your guts.

The little decisions are fun too. That whole quest with the Blue Eyes courtesan. The Vincent/Carmen story. The wedding soap opera at Murky Waters. The Shani party (one of my favorite cut-scenes, and one that really did a great deal at making these NPCs seem like real people). I have a saved game right before that choice - I'll have to try different invites. I wonder what Shani's response to me inviting Carmen or Siegfried would be
Spoiler:
I sided with the witch too. The towns people were dicks, and it seemed wrong to sleep with the witch, then give her up to them. That was a pretty messed up situation.

I was torn with whether to go with the Order or the Scoia'tel. I like Siegfried, but I liked some of the non-human NPCs too. I went with Siegfried in the swamp fight, but I ended up going with the non-humans in the bank robbery, so now I'm aligned with the non-humans. From Geralt's backstory, it seemed like he leaned more towards the non-human side in his past, so I figured I'd go that way. I wasn't ever able to find Siegfried after that. I wanted to see what he'd say to me. The order wouldn't sell me armor after that though. Yaevan also said someone must be protecting me, since I didn't get in trouble with the authorities for helping them at the bank. I have a save before that, so I might go back later and play it from the Order side.

I gave Alvin to Shani. Triss seemed to be hiding stuff, so I decided to just leave him with Shani. It hasn't seemed to effect much yet. Triss is pissed off at me, but she will still talk to me for quests and story stuff. I guess I'll find out later, what the decision impacted. I just got to chapter 4 the other night, but I haven't started any quests there yet.

The little decisions are pretty fun. I ended up siding with the Vampire whores, for Blue Eyes. Her brother was an ass, and he pissed me off. I took Carmen to Shani's party. I'll have to go back later and try other people, and see how different it is. I also like how you can do some of the quests different ways. When I did Blue Eyes, I hadn't done Dandelion's lute quest yet. So I didn't have the ring he gives you to get upstairs to talk to the Vampire mistress. I got up stairs by bribing the bouncer with some fisstech. He took it, and I went upstairs.

I'll probably start the chapter 4 quests tonight, but I go out of town in a few days, so not sure how far into it I'll get.
Old 01-31-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I was torn with whether to go with the Order or the Scoia'tel. I like Siegfried, but I liked some of the non-human NPCs too. I went with Siegfried in the swamp fight, but I ended up going with the non-humans in the bank robbery, so now I'm aligned with the non-humans. From Geralt's backstory, it seemed like he leaned more towards the non-human side in his past, so I figured I'd go that way.

I gave Alvin to Shani. Triss seemed to be hiding stuff, so I decided to just leave him with Shani. It hasn't seemed to effect much yet. Triss is pissed off at me, but she will still talk to me for quests and story stuff. I guess I'll find out later, what the decision impacted. I just got to chapter 4 the other night, but I haven't started any quests there yet.

I took Carmen to Shani's party.
Spoiler:
I might've gone for the Scoia'tel, but there was one incident in the graveyard that really rubbed me the wrong way. Where I was investigating murders, and found that they were robbing graves (not sure why) and killing any innocent people that got in their way. And when I caught them red-handed, they told me they threw a bunch of innocent people into the crypt to be eaten by ghouls. And I had 2 choices: save the people and let them escape, or kill them and let the people die. I saved the people. I'm sorry, but no matter how much I might've sympathized with their cause that just struck as an organized act of outright evil. And I just couldn't go along with that.

I had an unfortunate encounter with Zoltan later on though. He walked up to me and started sneezing. I asked him (sounding worried) if he was hooked on fisstech. He told me no ... he was just allergic to bastards

Making me feel worse about picking Triss is that she's such a nag. First thing she does when I stumble home drunk from a night with Dandelion and Zoltan is bitch at me and call me pathetic And she's constantly on my case about Alvin if I try to do anything for him. Oh well ... at least I told Alvin I'd teach him how to use a sword when Triss isn't around. And when supposedly taking care of Alvin, Triss still seems to stay out late every night at the Inn (where Shani seems to cut back her hospital hours to care for Alvin). Yeah, I have a feeling who'll be wearing the pants in this relationship ... and it isn't Geralt. At least her second sex card is pretty hot.

What do Dandelion and Shani say when you bring a hooker to the party? Though I'd guess both of them would probably roll with it (unlike Triss, who undoubtedly would bitch at you). Siegfried would probably be pretty funny too - once you got some alcohol into him, of course.

Chapter 4 is a fun one. It was nice to get out of Vizima at that point.
Old 01-31-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Spoiler:
I might've gone for the Scoia'tel, but there was one incident in the graveyard that really rubbed me the wrong way. Where I was investigating murders, and found that they were robbing graves (not sure why) and killing any innocent people that got in their way. And when I caught them red-handed, they told me they threw a bunch of innocent people into the crypt to be eaten by ghouls. And I had 2 choices: save the people and let them escape, or kill them and let the people die. I saved the people. I'm sorry, but no matter how much I might've sympathized with their cause that just struck as an organized act of outright evil. And I just couldn't go along with that.

I had an unfortunate encounter with Zoltan later on though. He walked up to me and started sneezing. I asked him (sounding worried) if he was hooked on fisstech. He told me no ... he was just allergic to bastards

Making me feel worse about picking Triss is that she's such a nag. First thing she does when I stumble home drunk from a night with Dandelion and Zoltan is bitch at me and call me pathetic And she's constantly on my case about Alvin if I try to do anything for him. Oh well ... at least I told Alvin I'd teach him how to use a sword when Triss isn't around. And when supposedly taking care of Alvin, Triss still seems to stay out late every night at the Inn (where Shani seems to cut back her hospital hours to care for Alvin). Yeah, I have a feeling who'll be wearing the pants in this relationship ... and it isn't Geralt. At least her second sex card is pretty hot.

What do Dandelion and Shani say when you bring a hooker to the party? Though I'd guess both of them would probably roll with it (unlike Triss, who undoubtedly would bitch at you). Siegfried would probably be pretty funny too - once you got some alcohol into him, of course.

Chapter 4 is a fun one. It was nice to get out of Vizima at that point.
Spoiler:
I didn't get to do the graveyard quest. The gravedigger told me to go get permission, but I didn't get any dialogue options for getting into the graveyard from either Thaler or Vincent. I checked a walkthrough and it seems I was too far into one of the main quests to get that option anymore. So, I never had that experience with the Squirrels. That's pretty crappy of them though. Zoltan said he was allergic to bastards? Did he stop playing dice with you and stuff, or was he just grumpy with you from then on?

Dandelion knows Carmen well, apparently. Shani is annoyed at first, and asks what she's doing there. Later on, however, her and Carmen start dancing together. I don't remember why, but I had to bring Shani some flowers later, to make her happy.

Shani never bitches at me. She is just always worried about Alvin. She always wants me to talk to him. And she made me get her a ring. She didn't like the first one I got. At that point I wished there was a bitch slap option. She should take whatever ring I give her and be happy. But no, she had to have a specific ring. I did just get one of those still frame cut scenes in Chapter 4 where Geralt is questioning starting his relationship with Shani, because her and Alvin will always be in danger because of his work. Did he do anything like that with Triss?

Also, Alvin showed up in Murky Waters. Shani sent me a letter because she was worried because he had dissapeared. Did he show up there when you picked Triss?
Old 01-31-08, 04:24 PM

Despite its flaws it looks interesting enough. My question is if it would be worth it to order the UK version(since PC game DVDs are not region coded) for the uncensored version or just pick up the US version?
Old 01-31-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
Despite its flaws it looks interesting enough. My question is if it would be worth it to order the UK version(since PC game DVDs are not region coded) for the uncensored version or just pick up the US version?
There are free fan-made patches that turn the US version into the UK version. I got mine from Pirate Bay - but they're posted in a number of spots. Since importing the UK version will likely cost more money, just buy it here and patch it.
Old 01-31-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I didn't get to do the graveyard quest. The gravedigger told me to go get permission, but I didn't get any dialogue options for getting into the graveyard from either Thaler or Vincent. I checked a walkthrough and it seems I was too far into one of the main quests to get that option anymore. So, I never had that experience with the Squirrels. That's pretty crappy of them though. Zoltan said he was allergic to bastards? Did he stop playing dice with you and stuff, or was he just grumpy with you from then on?

Dandelion knows Carmen well, apparently. Shani is annoyed at first, and asks what she's doing there. Later on, however, her and Carmen start dancing together. I don't remember why, but I had to bring Shani some flowers later, to make her happy.

Shani never bitches at me. She is just always worried about Alvin. She always wants me to talk to him. And she made me get her a ring. She didn't like the first one I got. At that point I wished there was a bitch slap option. She should take whatever ring I give her and be happy. But no, she had to have a specific ring. I did just get one of those still frame cut scenes in Chapter 4 where Geralt is questioning starting his relationship with Shani, because her and Alvin will always be in danger because of his work. Did he do anything like that with Triss?

Also, Alvin showed up in Murky Waters. Shani sent me a letter because she was worried because he had dissapeared. Did he show up there when you picked Triss?
Spoiler:
Zoltan never talked to me again after calling me bastard But it was Chapter 5, so no biggie. I like to think that eventually he came around to being friends with Geralt, after Geralt lays the smack down on the big bad at the end of the game.

I'll have to replay the party scene for Carmen/Shani dancing. Besides Siegfried I wonder who else you could invite. Vincent? Coleman? Rammsmeat? The Gravedigger? The Talking Ghoul? I think the flowers&fun followup is the same for all the choices.

Triss does the same "nice ring ... now bring me the specific one I want" crap Yes - a bitchslap option is sorely needed. Hell, the game is so un-PC as it is ... what's a little more? I notice the game does those freeze-frames occasionally. I think that's when the game has gotten enough information from your gameplay to classify you a certain way for the rest of the game.

Yes, Alvin has tagged along to Murky Waters for me too. Bastard's really annoying too ... following me around all day, whining like a little baby when I fight monsters. Hey kid ... you don't like monsters attacking? Really simple solution - STAY IN TOWN! At the least, you'd think he could play with Resolute Girl (though the combination of his visions and her "I know everything" attitude could be a bit much to handle).
Old 02-26-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I just bought a new computer and this was the first game I picked up for it. Is there any tips I should know before starting?
Old 02-26-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to know as well! I just upgraded my system and this was the first game I bought.
Old 02-26-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get the latest patch. I think it's version 1.2. As for tips in the game, I guess save a lot. There are lots of decisions to make in the game, and I like to go back and choose different options sometimes to see what differences it makes. Also, don't forget to make potions when you "rest" to level up.

edit: One more thing, would be to read any books you find. You don't have to actually read the text, but just open the book. Some of the side quests require you to know about certain monsters, and you also can't harvest some plants for potion ingredients without reading about them first. You can find lots of them in random chests, but you can also buy some from vendors. I usually sell the books once I've read them.

Last edited by Ghym; 02-26-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Looking over the requirements, I've got a question -- if anybody can answer it..

My laptop meets minimum requirements in most regards (graphics card, os, hdd space, RAM, etc; ) but I'm running on a 1.4ghz Core 2 Duo. The minimum requirements state around a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with Recommended of a 2.31 GHz Core 2 Duo. I understand that much, but where would a lowly 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo lay? There some sort of Pentium 4 -> Core 2 Duo calculator out there? For a totally unrelated reference, CoD4 runs at around 800x600 without a hitch.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-26-08 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW, there's an "enhanced edition" coming out in May or so. It will be free to those who have already purchased the game.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/854/854416p1.html
As for the game, the load times will be cut by around 80%, which should help keep players immersed in the action. There will also be plenty of new animations and gestures and rewritten, rerecorded voices to add a lot more personality and life to the cutscenes. You can also expect to see more variety in the character faces this time around, so you won't run into random villagers who also happen to look just like an important NPC you just spoke to.

The Enhanced Edition also comes with much better responsiveness overall in the fighting system. Though the fighting in the current game is definitely enjoyable, eliminating or smoothing out the small snags is definitely going to make for a more enjoyable experience overall.

Best of all, the new Enhanced Edition will also include two entirely new adventures to extend the life of the game somewhat. And if that's not enough for you, the team also wants to include the D'jinni mod editor, which will allow you to create your own scenarios.
The retail version will include the usual bonuses (cloth maps, a copy of the book the game is based on, etc.).

Now I'm debating if I should start the game (had to finish Crysis, Bioshock, and Gears of War PC first) or wait until then.

Last edited by DGibFen; 02-26-08 at 02:59 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.