Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So was this a good year or a bad year for you?

CKMorpheus
12-26-07, 12:15 AM
As the days count down, we can look back and reflect on all the things we've gone through and try and sum up our experience as succinctly as possible. Shitty? Great? If you wanna talk about while, or sum up your year in a paragraph or two, feel free.

Personally, this year has had it's ups and downs, but it's ending on a good enough note. On a scale of -100 to 100, I'd say I'm at about a 15 to 20ish. Getting good grades, enjoying my classes, dating a wonderful gal, got a kick ass new sound system... Downsides, lost my job, money is steady but tight, and my car is making funny noises.

How was your year?

kvrdave
12-26-07, 12:20 AM
Probably a 50 which is pretty fantastic. Last year was better, but I still put money in the bank, everyone is healthy, etc.

antennaball
12-26-07, 12:24 AM
Coming off 2006, this was a great year. In 2006, I lost my grandma and my wife lost her grandpa, aunt, and mom all within a few months. 2007 was pretty steady but in a good way. We both got little raises at work, the kids are happy and healthy...I can only hope for 2008 to continue the same.

RandyC
12-26-07, 12:29 AM
Everyone has their health, business doubled in size and we became the market leader. Traveled a bit and did some cool stuff. Had a trip of a lifetime in UK in September. Went to Superbowl 2007 for the celebrity race. Went to Formula 1 in Indy. Went to Champcar races in Surfers Paradise in Australia. Went to Goodwood Revival in UK. Added a supercharger to the Lotus for a sub 4 second 0-60 car. It is scary fast now. Kids are doing well. Both are working for my company. I now no longer coach soccer and I am happy about that. I still get to watch my daughter play twice a week. Daughter graduated with a math major from UCSD and is now attending SDSU (statistics) and teaching with Kaplan after hours.

edit to add, I think I must be naturally a positive thinker, because I ignored the negative stuff. This was also a year where I lost a very good friend to a horrible car accident, and the same accident put his child in a long coma. Another friend contracted MRSA which is not good. I turned 50 and getting old sucks, my eyesight is getting where I need glasses for close up stuff. Business has kept me busy and I can't race cars as much as I would like. Had some employee issues that sucked. Hard to find good people that are not insane. I blew up the engine on my car and had to drop a lot of money into it. A trip to Australia ended up being a nightmare due to airplane issues with Qantas. SO In guess it was a good year, but with some bad stuff too.

DVD Polizei
12-26-07, 12:31 AM
Not too bad. I have noticed a lot of people not putting up lights this year. Last year there was much more involvement.

JasonF
12-26-07, 01:26 AM
A pretty bad year for me, but as I keep reminding myself, it's all relative. I have a job that easily puts food on my family's table, I have good friends, and while there have been some health issues among people I care about, none of them are life threatening. So I'm hoping 2008 will be better than 2007, but even if it's the same, I'm still better off than most people are.

argh923
12-26-07, 01:38 AM
I can honestly say this was the best year of my life.

Doc Moonlight
12-26-07, 07:07 AM
Got a better job. Got a nice little setlement check from an age-discrimination lawsuit and paid down some debt. Daughter graduated college and got a good job. Other daughter transferred to a better college.

First priority of the new year for me is to get a dog to replace the one we had to put down in 2006. We've been putting it off for too long.

Happy New Year, Everybody!

EdTheRipper
12-26-07, 07:20 AM
2007 was one of the worst years of my life. It started back in March when my car was stolen. The car was recovered eventually. The necessary repairs to get it back on the road set me back a good amount. Later in the year, the water pump and serpentine belt broke causing me another set of expensive repairs. Just a couple of weeks ago, the radiator went causing me even more repairs.

My savings went from nearly $6000 in March to $273 right now. Between all the car repairs, bills and foolish spending, I'm just about back to square one.

2007 was also the year that I discovered I have a really bad problem with anxiety. A problem will occur and I'll dwell on it eternally and shut everything else down around me. Like this latest car problem....I'm still concerned about driving it over a week after I had the repairs done. My relationships suffer because the problems are all I focus on.

Last night, my wife told me that she intends to leave me in 6-8 months unless I can get my act together and get my head right. She says that I've become cold and emotionless and that she can't love someone who can't love themself. After the first of the year, I'm going to call around and try to find someone to talk to about my problems to see if I can't turn things around.

al_bundy
12-26-07, 07:21 AM
why not just a buy a new car?

EdTheRipper
12-26-07, 07:23 AM
why not just a buy a new car?

That ties into the anxiety thing. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to make the payments or afford the car insurance.

In a nutshell, I'm a mess.

mndtrp
12-26-07, 07:50 AM
Overall, every year seems to be getting better. A lot of things pissed me off, but I usually come out on top. I bought a house, haven't had troubles with the girlfriend, got promoted at work, finally got the shift I wanted at work, family is healthy, bills are paid.

Between 1 and 100, I'd say I'm at a 75 or so. Things could always be better, but I'm pretty happy.

superdeluxe
12-26-07, 08:03 AM
It was pretty good. Work was pretty good, Home life was pretty good. I can't complain, things can always be better, but if there wasn't things that we could improve on, what else would we do? :)

NCMojo
12-26-07, 08:26 AM
2007 was one of the worst years of my life. It started back in March when my car was stolen. The car was recovered eventually. The necessary repairs to get it back on the road set me back a good amount. Later in the year, the water pump and serpentine belt broke causing me another set of expensive repairs. Just a couple of weeks ago, the radiator went causing me even more repairs.

My savings went from nearly $6000 in March to $273 right now. Between all the car repairs, bills and foolish spending, I'm just about back to square one.

2007 was also the year that I discovered I have a really bad problem with anxiety. A problem will occur and I'll dwell on it eternally and shut everything else down around me. Like this latest car problem....I'm still concerned about driving it over a week after I had the repairs done. My relationships suffer because the problems are all I focus on.

Last night, my wife told me that she intends to leave me in 6-8 months unless I can get my act together and get my head right. She says that I've become cold and emotionless and that she can't love someone who can't love themself. After the first of the year, I'm going to call around and try to find someone to talk to about my problems to see if I can't turn things around.
Please move this to a new thread, and we'll try and help. :)

As for me... I can't say that 2007 was entirely stress-free. (My car broke down, my dogs ran away, one of my friends has breast cancer, yadda yadda.) But on the whole, I feel so blessed, with my family and my friends and my job and my health, that I can't help but call 2007 a fantastic year. Quibbling over the smaller stuff just seems wrong.

tsohg
12-26-07, 10:39 AM
Wife caught cheating, nasty divorce, expensive lawyers, lost my dog (that **** stole her)
Had to battle to be in my sons life equally (she wanted me be a paycheck dad guess there aren't enough black kids without dads actively in their lives huh?)
False allegations of domestic abuse (her divorce papers said "History of Domestic Abuse however husband has NEVER hit wife nor has she ever called the police on him or ever filed and EPO" WTF?! Then were is the history bi*ch?
Been working 2 full time jobs to pay lawyer and for new place and on my off days I have my son I sleep about 2 hours a day except on Sat when I get a whopping 5 hrs of sleep.
Very close to bankruptcy due to lawyer fees.
But after all that I still have not crumbled or blew my head off so at least I have learned I am a lot stronger than I thought :|

iggystar
12-26-07, 12:39 PM
For me, each year just gets worse, so nothing changed in 2007.

atlantamoi
12-26-07, 12:58 PM
Good year. Spent the past 12 months watching our 12-month-old daughter grow. And I actually had more days off this past year than at work (vacation + weekends + on call sked). Can't complain.

woemcats
12-26-07, 03:44 PM
Oh, pretty good. 2006 was exciting but tumultuous, as I met my girlfriend, switched jobs (after three years at a local newspaper, I moved into PR at a 50 percent pay increase), and moved to Chicago all in a matter of three months. It was a lot of stress.

2007 was smooth sailing in comparison and I've been able to build a life outside of my family again after moving home post-college. My girlfriend and I went on a lot of short trips (Montreal for New Year's 2007, New York City, Seattle) and a long one (16 days in London, Morocco, and Paris), plus I got to go to a conference in New York for work at the beginning of December.

We officially moved in together in August and love our apartment. She got an adorable munchkin cat to keep mine company (they grudgingly coexist). I got the maximum 6 percent annual raise at work. I don't love my job but it's fairly stress-free and a good placeholder for now -- I have a decent amount of responsibility that will look good on a resume.

The bad stuff was limited. My mom and dad both spent some time in the hospital (she had liver/pancreas problems, he had, get this, an infected cat bite from a stray he brought home) but are doing fine. My girlfriend had some potentially scary health issues that thankfully appear to be fairly minor.

Pet-wise, the cats my brother and I grew up with (brothers) both were put to sleep due to health problems in their old age (19 or 20), and one of the dogs finally visited the happy hunting ground after a growth on her leg rendered her unable to walk and the doctor said she was probably too weak to survive surgery.

My car was a source of frustration, but aside from paying to clean up a minor fender-bender, it's running great, though I need new tires. I've been able to save around 15 percent of my income this year despite a $1500 vacation and aforementioned $1300 car repair, among other expenditures.

Day-to-day, I'm generally pretty happy. It's great to come home to someone I'm excited to see every day. I don't know what number I'd put on it but it wasn't a bad 12 months.

chris_sc77
12-26-07, 04:48 PM
Not a good year for me but I guess not a terrible one either. Nothing terribly exciting this year to be honest. My life became very boring this year. Hopefully 2008 will be better although I have been feeling more and more depressed and hopeless so i dont know how things could turn good. Fingers crossed.

ernestrp
12-26-07, 05:22 PM
Please move this to a new thread, and we'll try and help. :)

As for me... I can't say that 2007 was entirely stress-free. (My car broke down, my dogs ran away, one of my friends has breast cancer, yadda yadda.) But on the whole, I feel so blessed, with my family and my friends and my job and my health, that I can't help but call 2007 a fantastic year. Quibbling over the smaller stuff just seems wrong.

So, becomming Pres of Otterville is not even an highlight or worth mentioning?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Bronkster/2185.gif Thanks for the new smilieys.

tofu
12-26-07, 06:58 PM
Decent year for me. Moved back from Germany to the US and got a pay raise and working on getting a promotion. On the flip side, I had to get surgery on my back for a bulging disc. So I guess everything kinda balances out. And most importantly, I bought a lot of DVDs.

lordzeppelin
12-26-07, 07:11 PM
This has been the the worst year of my life in one way - career. I lost my job in February, and it's been a struggle since. Part-time stuff, contracts, free-lance, but nothing full-time and consistent. My savings is shot. I don't want to lose my house and car...but who knows what will happen in the next 6 months. It's been a year of interviews, rejections, and jobs being pulled from me or never filled, or I finish second and get told "if they don't accept our offer we'll call you". I'm overqualified for everything that I'm not underqualified for, and it blows. It's made for quite a tough year in many ways...

The worst part is that almost everything else is going great. I'm surprisingly content, despite the 'bad days' where I really get down about being unemployed (and feel generally worthless). I'm healthier than I've been in a long time, I've lost 45lbs, and I just feel good. Other than that, my grandparents are deteriorating very rapidly, and they're putting a horrible strain on my parents, who I fear that something will happen to them due to the stress.

2008 can't come quick enough...and these fucks in Pittsburgh better get their shit together and hire me. Whoever does is going to get the hungriest, most dedicated, and hard-working employee they've ever had...

Joe Molotov
12-26-07, 07:17 PM
Worst year ever.

I developed a hiatal hernia (bulge in the stomach wall) which started causing severe chest and stomach pains, which led me to start worrying and stressing a lot about my health which I ignored until eventually it festered into an anxiety disorder which caused me to flame out of grad school, lose my job, have to move back in with my parents, and and just generally feel crappy pretty much all of them time.

So that's 2007 in a nut shell. Things seem to be on an upswing though, so I'm feeling optimistic about 2008.

RandyC
12-26-07, 09:03 PM
In 2007, I was not eaten by a tiger.

mparysz
12-26-07, 09:18 PM
Excellent year. I met some amazing people, had the best summer of my life, traveled, and lost a bunch of weight amongst other other highlights.

Pressplay
12-26-07, 09:28 PM
I had a year of changes: I moved from the apartment I had been living in for the last 8 years into my own home, a loft in an old refurbished cookie factory. I love my new home but it's been draining to get everything in order (paint, furniture, repairs, etc). I also changed job after quitting the one I had for 7 years. I hated it at first and didn't think I'd ever fit in, but now I love it so much I'm always afraid I'll mess up and lose it. Changes are hard for me I guess, but I'm liking what I'm doing with my life. I'm just tired of being single, I wish I met more interesting guys. :p

NCMojo
12-26-07, 09:36 PM
So, becomming Pres of Otterville is not even an highlight or worth mentioning?
Ahem. I said:
I feel so blessed, with my family and my friends and my job and my health, that I can't help but call 2007 a fantastic year.
Mind you, the pay is terrible, the hours are unbearable, but the perks -- daily naked backrubs from Bandoman and all the weed you can smoke -- ah, the perks make it all worthwhile.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
12-26-07, 09:45 PM
Very good year. Got engaged, bought a home, went on a trip to China. I did everything I planned to do ... and more. I hope 2008 is similar to 2007.

Deftones
12-26-07, 10:06 PM
Great, but could've been better. I got married (great), by my grandmother passed away (not so great).

I did get to go on a kickass honeymoon to Australia and New Zealand. I also go to cross off 5 more baseball parks on my list of ones I've been to.

Kittydreamer
12-26-07, 10:16 PM
It's not been a great year but it's been a difficult one healthwise. I had my girl parts out in August and am still dealing with that. Although there have been some good times, annoying people have stopped bothering me and that's always a good thing. :D

Quake1028
12-26-07, 10:29 PM
+++ Live with my GF again, planning on getting engaged within the next month
+++ Got a great new job at a company I love, finally ending almost 10 years of call center hell
+++ Finally feel like I have my depression and anxiety issues under control, mostly because of the reason directly above this one
++ Met a lot of great new friends through the beer rating website I visit, and had a lot of kickass gatherings
+ Everyone around me is healthy and for the most part, happy
+ My car is paid off and still under warranty

- Still need to lose weight and get healthier overall
- Still catching up money wise from being out of work for a few months

Overall a pretty good year, especially compared to the last couple of years.

GoldenJCJ
12-26-07, 10:46 PM
+++ Live with my GF again, planning on getting engaged within the next month
+++ Got a great new job at a company I love, finally ending almost 10 years of call center hell
+++ Finally feel like I have my depression and anxiety issues under control, mostly because of the reason directly above this one
++ Met a lot of great new friends through the beer rating website I visit, and had a lot of kickass gatherings
+ Everyone around me is healthy and for the most part, happy
+ My car is paid off and still under warranty

- Still need to lose weight and get healthier overall
- Still catching up money wise from being out of work for a few months

Overall a pretty good year, especially compared to the last couple of years.
You forgot to mention the Broncos in your "negative" listings...I've been depressed since August.

JasonF
12-26-07, 10:46 PM
In 2007, I was not eaten by a tiger.
Don't get cocky. You've still got five days left.

Cool Kitten
12-26-07, 10:55 PM
my dogs ran away
dude, seriously. When will you realise that you should never, ever own a pet?
How the hell do you manage to lose every single dog you own?

HistoryProf
12-27-07, 01:18 AM
meh. my life was good for the most part...but my mom died just after labor day which puts a pretty big pall on the year. Holidays have been kind of shitty and i'm pretty numb of late. sucks.

pyro383
12-27-07, 07:39 AM
Bad year for me

Wife laid off as a teacher
1st child (son) was born (this is the brightest part of my life)
Baby has rare condition requiring surgeries in 2008
In debt due to insurance copayments
Contractor stole my money but refuses to pay back (as in bankrupt)
Wife lost case entitling unemployment benefits (prick principle)

2008 is going to be the ruffest in my life

NCMojo
12-27-07, 08:20 AM
dude, seriously. When will you realise that you should never, ever own a pet?
How the hell do you manage to lose every single dog you own?
Hey, CK, how you doing? Good? Great. Glad to hear it. It's nice that you and Bushdog are married now... so when you're side-by-side on my Ignore List, it'll feel all the more special.

deadlax
12-27-07, 08:32 AM
Guess I should probably have voted fantastic, but chose good...

The Good
- Graduated Law School in May
- Took and passed the bar in July/October
- Working as an attorney with good/great pay for being single
- Have amazing friends who are all healthy and happy
- No deaths in the family

The Bad
- Have to worry about fucking things up as a new attorney with minimal supervision
- Car is on its last legs (almost 20 years old) and I need to find a new one soon

Quake1028
12-27-07, 08:58 AM
You forgot to mention the Broncos in your "negative" listings...I've been depressed since August.

I have blocked out all memory of this season for the Broncos and Hurricanes, so I have no clue what you are talking about :p.

orangecrush
12-27-07, 03:45 PM
Added 1 to our family, so I would say a great year. Now if we add another next year, I may not be feeling quite the same.

Tarantino
12-27-07, 03:59 PM
Not a very good year for me.

My brother died in late September and my ex and I broke up in June. Being single isn't so bad though. On the plus side, I finally filmed the TV show pilot I'd been wanting to do for a while. I don't know...I just want this year to be over. My job is going well, I suppose, although I do want a new one.

= J

Cool Kitten
12-27-07, 07:11 PM
Hey, CK, how you doing? Good? Great. Glad to hear it. It's nice that you and Bushdog are married now... so when you're side-by-side on my Ignore List, it'll feel all the more special.
i think i'm gonna cry :lol:

Bushdog
12-27-07, 07:30 PM
Mojo never changes year after year. Blame any new forums for ruining your marriage in '07?

Rockmjd23
12-27-07, 07:36 PM
Sox won the Series so it was a great year! :)

tommyp007
12-27-07, 07:42 PM
Great Year

New job, new baby and my grandparents are still with us to see their first great-grandchild at Christmas.

KnightLerxst
12-27-07, 07:55 PM
I would like to adapt a quote from a friend to describe 2007.

Suck my cock and good riddance 2007!

TheNightFlier
12-27-07, 08:11 PM
Not great, not horrible. Looking forward to the new year.

NotThatGuy
12-27-07, 08:50 PM
......and the hits keep on comin'!!

:lol:

My year was decent.

+Successfully defended my research
+Passed my clinical defense
+Finished my clinical rotations
+Picked up a part-time job

-Crash and burn relationships
-Debt
-Stress from tying up all of my loose ends

Overall it was more good than evil.

-p

Iron Chef
12-27-07, 09:05 PM
Mojo never changes year after year. Blame any new forums for ruining your marriage in '07?

quoting this so that he can see it

NCMojo
12-27-07, 09:16 PM
quoting this so that he can see it
You do know that there's a little link you can click on that says "View Post" when you've added someone to your Ignore List, right? So if I wanted to see the post, I could do that. But that kind of defeats the whole point. If I give a shit about someone's opinion, they wouldn't be on that list in the first place.

Anyway, flip on your TV and tune into TNT if you want drama. There's none to be found here. Peace.

http://forums.seroundtable.com/images/smilies/imported-smilies/hippie.gif

Bacon
12-27-07, 09:22 PM
oh no a cat fight to end 2007
coming to youtube.com January 2008

So_Cal_SAHM
12-27-07, 10:35 PM
I had a lot of hard times this past year but started dating someone about a week ago so things are a lot brighter. This is my first relationship since my divorce 2.5 years ago.

DaveCole
12-27-07, 10:55 PM
The Bad: Had a bad relationship finally end about 6 months later than it should have. Found out I was going to be laid off due to the loss of a contract.

The Good: Found a job that pays more than my previous job. Finished college with a major in accounting which is opening up doors. The gaming club I formed has grown to 43 members. I have met someone who may or may not turn out to be the "one".

Guess it has been a really good year, with the potential for next year looking even better.

Ginwen
12-27-07, 11:35 PM
My last grandmother died, but she'd been sick a long time and basically made the choice to die rather then continue to undergo drastic treatments (such as removing her leg) plus died with loved ones around, so it was less bad then it could've been.

Other than that, a good year for me. No big changes (wife, home, job, pets) so that's good, and I went on good vacations and was basically pretty content, so that to me is a good year.

Alan Smithee
12-28-07, 02:00 AM
Can't wait for this year to be over. I got laid off after 5 1/2 years working for Tower.com, after the stores went out of business and the website division was sold to Caiman who first told us we'd all keep our jobs and the new company would get even bigger, then laid off most of us the next week. Collected unemployment for about 6 months, then landed one job with great hours that laid me off after the first week due to 'cutbacks', then found another job that laid me off 2 weeks before Christmas because of a drop in work to do, though they hope to hire me back in January if I haven't found another job by then.

Lost my cat Sammy right before his 12th birthday, he'd just been to the vet 2 weeks before and checked out fine and was acting normal, then suddenly started hyperventilating and collapsed. Rushed him to the vet but they couldn't do anything for him, he'd developed kidney problems about a year before which I tried to help with special food, and he'd been obese for a few years too. I got 2 new kitties a few weeks later though who are a lot of fun.

shoppingbear
12-28-07, 05:07 AM
oh no a cat fight to end 2007
coming to youtube.com January 2008
:lol: You know what, if we could only film these witty exchanges, things around here would be a lot more entertaining. Ah well. :shrug:

shoppingbear
12-28-07, 05:36 AM
Can't wait for this year to be over.

That's pretty much how I feel.

2006 was very exciting (in good and bad ways: FINALLY moved to CA as I'd wanted to for seven years, found a new job, was run over by taxi, lost new job because I couldn't work for months, found MUCH better new job, and got engaged to my fiance).

2007 was eventful, but not in good ways. I kept getting hit with serious health problems, including a new one in November that forced me to go on disability because I can't work since then. I've missed out on more than I could list here.

That being said... there were good things that came from some of the bad. The conversations I had with my father over thanksgiving, less than a week after I'd been in the hospital for several days... those were pretty amazing. It's weird, going through a time when you think you're going to die, you come out of it wanting to say all the things you never said. Plus, going through hard times brought my fiance and I closer than ever. He took care of me in a million different ways. He's been to four different hospitals with me since I moved to CA two years ago! :lol: He's just an amazing, strong, caring person.

So yeah. I guess no year is all bad, if you learn something from the sucky parts. :lol: