Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

are the Prince remasters coming?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a whim earlier, I was looking at reviews on Amazon and decided to type in Prince. Outside of the two most recent collections and a few of the poorer catalog sellers (like Come and Symbol), the entire Warner Prince catalog is currently available only via used CD's, even the bigger titles like 1999 and Purple Rain that would never go out of print.

Makes me wonder if this means Warner is planning on releasing remaster editions of his 1978-1994 catalog in the new year. 2008 would make sense since it not only marks Prince's 50th birthday but also 30 years from the release of "For You". Does anyone know if they are working on these or if it's just a mere coincidence and the majority of his albums all sold out at once?
Old 12-24-07, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
God, I hope so. Prince's albums need remastering so badly.
Old 12-24-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Holding my breath in 3...2...1.

Your logic makes sense, nothingfails, but anything relating to Prince defies the laws of logic..
Old 12-24-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Holding my breath in 3...2...1.

Your logic makes sense, nothingfails, but anything relating to Prince defies the laws of logic..
true true, but Purple Rain still generally sold over 1000 copies a week just this year so I highly doubt Warner would purposely take it out of print without planning a superior quality version in the near future.

Personally, I'd love Warner to mine the vaults and do deluxe editions of each album like they did for Elvis Costello, but at this point, just straight ahead remaster editions with nothing extra will suffice knowing how Prince works.
Old 01-08-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just noticing this too. All the earlier Prince CDs are not in stock at Amazon.
Old 01-08-08, 06:07 PM
Banned

Unless they come with some great bonus or live tracks or (preferably) a live dvd of the corresponding tour for the CDs, I'll pass.
Old 01-08-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Unless they come with some great bonus or live tracks or (preferably) a live dvd of the corresponding tour for the CDs, I'll pass.
i'd settle for DVD 5.1 audio of all the albums.
Old 01-09-08, 06:56 AM

I hoping for a Sign o' the Times remaster in deluxe packaging.
Old 01-09-08, 05:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Sign o' the Times meeds remastering most of all. Somehow I have a feeling we are getting excited for nothing. Why would these be put out of print with no anouncement of a future re-release?
Old 01-09-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Sign o' the Times meeds remastering most of all. Somehow I have a feeling we are getting excited for nothing. Why would these be put out of print with no anouncement of a future re-release?
yes, I noticed that even the Best Buy by me is now out of the Warner titles (besides Ultimate and Very Best Of). I think we'll get an announcement sometime soon because I don't think Purple Rain or 1999 would be taken out of print without a good reason, both of those albums still sell fairly well 25 years on.
Old 01-09-08, 07:55 PM

Since Prince did a lot of great b-sides for his singles that were often just as good as what made the album, they should re-issue the albums digitally mastered with the b-sides as a bonus.
Old 01-09-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
With everything else Prince has been preventing us from enjoying, maybe it was him that had everything pulled. Somewhere in his madness he probably thinks that he'll make more money by not allowing anyone to buy anything of his. In the future, if you want to hear a Prince song, you'll have to hire him to come play it for you in person.
Old 04-18-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: are the Prince remasters coming?

Adding an amiable epilogue to one of the most public contract disputes in the history of the music business, Prince and Warner Bros. Records have come to terms on a global licensing partnership.

The wide-ranging deal grants the singer ownership of his master recordings, and allows Warners to digitally remaster and reissue Prince’s albums from 1978 through the 1990s. Financial details were not disclosed.

The announcement comes several months before the 30th anniversary of Prince’s soundtrack album, “Purple Rain,” which a press release confirmed would be the first record to get the deluxe reissue treatment, with others to follow. Prince also announced that a new studio album is “on the way.”

http://variety.com/2014/music/news/p...es-1201159487/

Old 04-18-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awwwwwwww yeah. Can't wait to here The Beautiful Ones remastered.
Old 04-19-14, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

This made my day!
Old 04-19-14, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope all of the side producing work gets issued on CD like Mazarati, Sheila E, and Vanity 6.
Old 04-19-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

On the documentary found on the Purple Rain DVD, the director said Prince recorded 100 songs for the soundtrack. Hope we see a lot of this songs make it to a Purple Rain box set!
Old 04-19-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I always thought that Prince and Jeff Lynne have to have a massive "vault" of music that will never unfortunately see the light of day.
Old 04-21-14, 08:29 PM
Banned by request

Unfortunately in Prince's case, fortunately in Lynne's.

I was watching an interview with Prince where he said that his vault is mostly filled with half-formed musical ideas, hardly the sort of thing that most people would want to hear. And if he really had any full on masterpieces sitting in there, I'm sure he would have dusted them off by now. That's not to say there isn't good unreleased Prince music. There definitely is. But the idea that there's a whole other album on par with Purple Rain or Parade or Sign O' The Times is fantasy.

As for these remasters, I can't wait. I just hope that it's not brickwalled to hell.
Old 04-21-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Unfortunately in Prince's case, fortunately in Lynne's.
Figured someone would post a dick comment like that. I have never understood the hatred and disrespect that Jeff Lynne receives.
Old 04-22-14, 07:58 PM
Banned by request

I've always found Lynne to be a derivative and bland songwriter/performer. I can't speak for everyone but I imagine others feel the same way I do. Also a lot of his career seems to be on the back of far more talented musicians like George Harrison and Tom Petty.

Also "Don't Bring Me Down" has got to be one of the worst, most annoying piece of shit songs I've ever heard. Every time it comes on the radio I want to dunk my head in an active deep fryer.
Old 04-22-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What radio station do you listen to?

Btw, I dig Telephone Line.
Old 04-22-14, 11:35 PM
Banned by request

Classic rock stations play it from time to time. Enough to make me consider suicide anyway.
Old 04-23-14, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait for a proper SotT remaster. Love the album, but SO badly in need of a remaster.

Absolutely fantastic news!
Old 04-23-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've always found Lynne to be a derivative and bland songwriter/performer. I can't speak for everyone but I imagine others feel the same way I do. Also a lot of his career seems to be on the back of far more talented musicians like George Harrison and Tom Petty.

Also "Don't Bring Me Down" has got to be one of the worst, most annoying piece of shit songs I've ever heard. Every time it comes on the radio I want to dunk my head in an active deep fryer.
Funny you say that since Harrison and Petty both came to him for help in production and song writing and each walked away with one of their biggest selling albums of their careers (Cloud Nine and Full Moon Fever, respectively) and both albums were also critically acclaimed by most at the time. Some consider both of those albums comeback albums for them. Read some interviews with Harrison and Petty. Lynne was hardly riding on their shoulders and honestly, Harrison and Petty were riding Lynne's for those albums. He was also the main driving force behind the acclaimed Traveling Wilburys but is also the one most forgotten. He did the majority of the heavy lifting for that group.

As far as your hatred for "Don't Bring Me Down," I understand it. But the guy has written so many better songs and has so many great albums (both his own, ELO, and as a producer), I find it silly to bash him for that. Every artist with that kind of catalog has several stinkers in their past. Prince is definitely included in that (especially on some of his more recent releases. They just don't get played on the radio anymore).

Sorry for the Jeff Lynne rant in a Prince thread. I just tire of the needless bashing of him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.