Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever have the ink come off a DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-23-07, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the NCAA On Demand DVD showing the 1993 Championship game between UNC and Michigan. While holding the sides of the disc, I started getting blue lines on my fingers, and it was because the top of the disc has a lot of blue on it. I've never seen anything like this. I had to spend over 10 minutes wiping down the disc with a wet paper towel before I finally got enough of the ink off so that I could hold it without getting blue lines on my fingers.

It does say "DVD Video Disc DVD-R Format" on it, so maybe that has something to do with it. It should be a legitimate copy because I bought it from Amazon (not one of their third party sellers).
Old 12-23-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...I'm not an expert on this so correct me if I'm wrong but if it's DVD-R, it's most likely a bootleg. I would contact Amazon about it.
Old 12-23-07, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Hmmm...I'm not an expert on this so correct me if I'm wrong but if it's DVD-R, it's most likely a bootleg.
Not necessarily anymore. Companies like Titlematch have recently started producing legitimate DVD-Rs for niche titles on an on-demand basis. You won't see major movie studio using these services anytime soon, but it's completely plausible that the NCAA (or a legitimate NCAA licensee) would use it to sell videos of matches.

Unfortunately, these on-demand DVD-Rs share some of the same "problems" that homemade DVD-R recordings have, like player incompatibility issues and (apparently) poorer-quality label printing. Unlike homemade discs, they can be burned with CSS encryption intact, which is one way to verify that you don't have a bootleg.