DVD Talk
eBay or Craigslist...what's the best place to unload electronics? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : eBay or Craigslist...what's the best place to unload electronics?

prp2
12-23-07, 08:38 PM
Hey folks,

[Removed ad but question remains in thread title -X]

dtcarson
12-23-07, 08:44 PM
For bigger items, Craigslist might be better--you can ask for cash in hand and not have to fool with shipping or feedback or auction/paypal fees. You will obviously get a larger audience and potentially more money going Ebay, but you'd have to ask if the inconvenience is worth it.
Check current listings on CL and completed listings on Ebay. Ipod you might do better on ebay, shipping shouldn't be that much.

Duran
12-23-07, 08:51 PM
I just unloaded my old XBox using half.com.

Goat3001
12-23-07, 10:01 PM
I'm about to unload my laptop. I've always used Ebay and its been great to me but this time I might venture into the world of Craigslist. After I sell my laptop, I may try to find some casual sex.

wewantflair
12-23-07, 10:38 PM
Be warned that Craigslist is infested with an astounding number of retards who have no idea what they are buying and are only looking for a "good deal" or to scam you. I listed a pair of Definitive Technology BP-8 speakers on there and took pictures of my entire setup, including closeups of the speakers. The listing clearly said I was selling only the two tower speakers at a price of $350 neg.

The pictures were clearly taken in my living room and the plasma TV and subwoofer are visible.

One guy calls at 11pm asking if the plasma TV is included in the price. I told him no. He then asked if the speakers would work with a DJ turntable. How the fuck should I know? They are regular speakers. He then asked if I would take photos of where the speakers said "Made in USA" on them. After all that, he didn't buy.

Another guy wanted to take the speakers on the railroad with him. These are large and heavy tower speakers. I told him not to bother. I still have these speakers sitting in another room.

Then again, I did sell my car for $3000 above what a dealership would give me on trade-in. So it has its ups and downs.

funstan
12-23-07, 10:51 PM
I sold Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii on craiglist. The transaction went flawlessly. I listed my #, a couple of bozos called wanting me to discount the price by saying what they could buy it on ebay for. But I had a call, we met, got cash very easy transaction. Ebay was full of assholes who wanted a refund 2 months after the purchase, deadbeat buyers etc. That was my first experience with craigslist but it went so smooth that I will post there first before I list an item on ebay.

prp2
12-23-07, 10:53 PM
Hmm, I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm still trying to decide when/how I want to sell these things, so it's good to get an idea of the different avenues to doing so.

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 11:34 PM
CL is for retards and scammers. I only use eBay. If I leave something on the corner of the street, I post something on CL. Otherwise, I get so many scamming and spamming emails, it's not even worth my time anymore.

CL is great for bitching about life and wanting to screw the ugliest motherfucker you've ever seen in your life, but other than that, I can't think of any reason why CL exists.

prp2
12-24-07, 12:22 AM
CL is great for bitching about life and wanting to screw the ugliest motherfucker you've ever seen in your life, but other than that, I can't think of any reason why CL exists.

rotfl

That's awesome!

CKMorpheus
12-24-07, 12:26 AM
I've sold my PS2, Guitar Hero 1 and 2, and 2 guitars for a large sum on Craigslist. The guy met me while I was working, I ran outside to the car and got the stuff out of my trunk. Nice guy gave me the money, said it was for his little sister. Very smooth transaction.

I bought the Polk Audio 5.1 RM6750 for nearly half price, barely used, the guy had to move suddenly after he had back surgery. I went to his place, his girlfriend and him were very nice, got all the speakers from them, and I finally hooked them up and they sound amazing.

Craigslist is great if you know what to look for. It's generally pretty easy (IMHO) to scope out the scams and the real deals. It's also great for larger items, you can have them pick it up and not deal with the shipping.

orangecrush
12-24-07, 03:00 PM
CL for more generic stuff (read very popular stuff). You will get some tools offer you a third of your asking price, but generally it is a much easier experience. Just be sure to only accept cash.

SmackDaddy
12-25-07, 07:14 AM
I always use Craigslist. Sold 2 motorcycles, gps, NFL tickets and misc electronics with no problems. Sure you get some oddballs, but unlike e-bay/half/amazon I have CASH in my hand from every transaction.

Plus, it's free!! Auction sites, at least for me, are too much hassle for as few times as I need to sell something.

prp2
12-25-07, 09:12 AM
I'll need to look into Craigslist more then. The problem I have is that I've got no idea what the resell value of my stuff would be, and there's not an easy way to find out what past values were, unlike eBay where you can view completed auctions.

TomOpus
12-25-07, 10:57 AM
I guess it depends on if you just wanna get rid of the stuff or if you wanna make some money. Just name a price and say "or best reasonable offer" and see what happens.

Free stuff always goes fast on CL. The roommate was re-doing the living room and put an ad for the couch, TV and other things... free (just come and pick it up). He got a dozen responses within a few minutes. Seriously. It was like people were constantly refreshing the page to see what new stuff was added. Within 20 mins of putting up the ad, the stuff was all gone.

uli2000
12-26-07, 06:02 AM
I had my first craigslist transactions in the past couple of weeks. I had tried to buy something off of craigslist before, but a flaky seller didnt show. I sold a reciever, laserdisk player, and gps. Pretty much the morning after I posted the stuff, I had emails enquireing about each one. The first sale was perfect. He had me come to his office and he was waiting there for me with cash. 5 minutes and done, and then he sent me a nice thank you email when he got home that night and hooked it up. The other two I had to play a bit of phone tag with to get them, but finally got everything off to their buyers. I met everyone in a public place and asked them to bring cash. I was nt scarred about accepting cash, since each of my transactions was $60 or less, and I worked in a bank branch while I was in school for a couple of years and can usually tell in 2 seconds if money is real by how it feels. But if you worry about that kind of stuff, buy a $2 marking pen that will check for counterfit currency. Personally, I woulnt list my phone # or email in the ad, just let the automated craigslist emails come. Easier to weed out the lowballers and non buyers.

spammied
12-27-07, 10:06 AM
I say go with CL. It's easy, fast and FREE--local too, no shipping things. I've bought beautiful COPENHAGEN furniture on there (great prices). I've sold stuff on there too. I'd not post my phone number, just me though. As for meeting people, I have them come over to my place and I'll be waiting outside for them with the item. I've also met people at a Starbucks too. You can usually tell the serious ones from the scammers. People have tried to scam me, but you can tell which they are by the language in their email, etc. Always deal locally, and be wary of the scammers. Have fun though, some people like to haggle!