Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Have You Ever Made A Fan Cut Of A Film? (Or Do You Want To?)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-22-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Inspired by the Build Your Own Blade Runner Thread

I made a fan cut of Re-Animator.
Having grown up on the longer R rated version I was happy to finally get an Unrated cut but disappointed that the Unrated cut lost so much plot (it actually ran shorter than the R version). So I took the UR version and cut all the plot back into it so I can finally feel ok about showing it to people now.

Also I was thinking about doing something similar with Alien 3 as there are parts of both versions that I like better like the climax of the studio cut, and how it doesn't include the "I am not a driod" line but most of the D-cut otherwise.

Anyone else?
Old 12-22-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I got tired of waiting for "The Whole Bloody Affair" and put the 2 parts together. I cut out the entire ending after The Bride shuts the car lid and went directly to Ch. 6. So, if your watching it for the first time you would be as surprised as the Bride at the end of Vol. 2. I used both Japanese versions.

I think I mentioned this on another thread a long time ago.
Old 12-22-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you guys do this?
Old 12-22-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
It's as easy as riping a dvd to your computer, and then reformatting the vob files into something your video editing platform can handle, editing it the way you like it and then burning it onto a dvd.

I don't know if it is taboo to name software names so I will leave that up to you and google.
Old 12-22-07, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wanted to stick 'Goodbye Love' back in Rent but have never got around to doing it.
Old 12-22-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm hoping some fan makes a new cut of Rob Zombie's Halloween. Between the workprint, the unrated cut and the theatrical cut there are plenty of good scenes that could be compiled to make an ultimate cut that eschews much of the b.s. and delivers the goods. I don't doubt one will surface soon.
Old 12-22-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I edited Pulp Fiction into sequential order. It came out pretty nice, actually.
Old 12-22-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abe.
I would put Momento in the correct order.
Old 12-22-07, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the 2-disc version of Memento, the movie is on the second disc in sequential order.
Old 12-23-07, 12:13 AM

although I know its out, on VHS, I would cut all 3 godfathers so they run chroengclically
Old 12-23-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
I always wanted to take Attack of the Clones and cut out every time Anakin says "master" or "m'lady". I've watched it with that in mind, and not only would it be possible, but I think it would drastically improve the movie.
Old 12-23-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd love to make a 70-80 minute cut of Death Proof. The second set of girls would suffer most of the trims if I had my way with it.
Old 12-23-07, 02:40 AM

I cut the three Evil Dead movies into one long film when I was a kid on one of those super long VHS tapes. But who HASN'T?
Old 12-23-07, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I re-arranged the chapters on the DVD to watch it in order, I wasn't nearly as impressed.
Old 12-23-07, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

Also I was thinking about doing something similar with Alien 3 as there are parts of both versions that I like better like the climax of the studio cut, and how it doesn't include the "I am not a driod" line but most of the D-cut otherwise.
Yeah, Ripley's fall seemed much more dramatic in the studio cut, plus there was this one shot that has glued itself into my mind...with the escape pod being moved with the crane against sunset, with the one guy standing on top of it and wind blowing debris everywhere...beautiful.

Wasn't Pulp Fiction actually released in some country like that?

Last edited by Takeshi357; 12-23-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-23-07, 09:14 AM
Banned

I made a cut of "Godzilla 1985" that took the Japanese subtitled version (on VHS) and added all of the scenes in the "American-ized" version, and burned it to a DVD-R. I no longer have it; I think an ex-wife walked off with it.
Old 12-23-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are whole communities dedicated to this. A quick Google search for fan edits will find two of the biggest websites that I regularly visit. As for copyright issues, I have no problem watching something I already own, but in a different way, be it a chronological Pulp Fiction, or an extended Pulp Fiction with the deleted scenes inserted. I wouldn't watch a fan edit as the first version I watched, but I do think that they can add new levels of appreciation. I have many fan edits burned to DVD that are, to me, the preferred versions of the movies.
Old 12-23-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I did an edit of Titantic, and turned it into a taut, 90 minute disaster flick.
I recut The Phantom Menace without the CGI Stepin Fetchit (not easy, but it can be done).

Last edited by mike7162; 12-23-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I've been thinking of doing something like this for Romero's Dawn of the Dead. It would mostly be the extended cut, but all the stock muzik that's used in the first half would be nothing but Goblin (Heard in the other 2 versions)
I especially liked how (In the Argento Cut) no music is played during the car rampage in the mall.
Old 12-23-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
I did an edit of Titanic, and turned into a taut, 90 minute disaster flick.
Titanic is the only film I've ever edited, by putting every deleted scene and alternate ending back into the film. I also replaced the end credit song with additional score, remixed into 5.1 EX.

I know that it's also been done among those fan edit communities mentioned, but I had no idea they existed until recently. It's not something I have ever had an interest in doing. The only reason I extended Titanic is because the source material for the deleted scenes was as good as the film, thanks to that 3-disc special edition. It just seemed like an interesting challenge (and it was, given that my computer is a cheap piece of crap compared to most media-oriented computers out there...took many, many revisions to get it right)

Other than that, I don't believe in changing things to suit personal preference, because the movie is what it is, like it or not. That being said, recutting a film like "Memento" or "Pulp Fiction" as mentioned, just to see if the film still works with its stories presented in chronological order, would make for an interesting study to see if it still works and if it's as interesting, etc.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 12-23-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I always wanted to make a cut of kevin smiths jay and silent bob strike back. There was a lot of funny stuff that got cut in order to receive an R. It would be really cool if a director held a contest where the winner gets to make there own version of a film and put it out on dvd as an extra.

Last edited by mhg83; 12-23-07 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 02:32 PM
Suspended

i'd like to see an extended cut of Ladybugs,maybe i can add some scenes from meet wally sparks or sidekicks, to extend dangerfield and brandis scenes..

or turbulence 3 : Heavy metal

Last edited by lcnickell; 12-23-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTTF 2&3 edited into one long movie. (like it was supposed to be).
Old 12-23-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a fan edit of J&SB Strikes Back floating around that does have all the (cleaned up as best as possible) deleted scenes reintegrated. So I point you again to use your search engine and search the web for the fan edit communities that have been doing this for a long time and chances are many of the ideas that you have have been shared by others and the alternate versions already exist.

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I don't believe in changing things to suit personal preference, because the movie is what it is, like it or not.
I couldn't disagree more. I have been editing the first two Spider-Man movies for a few months to try to get rid of all the horrible editing in them. And everybody I show my parts that are finished to raves about how much better and cleaner my edit looks. Seriously, take a look at just about any scene transition, with all kinds of duplicated action, or blatant errors like characters jumping around from shot to shot. Take a look at the first Goblin/Spidey battle in the first movie, and slow it down, and you will not believe all the reused shots from different angles, inconsistent dialogue, etc. It's really a disgrace.

I guess if you believe the movie is what it is, like it or not, that you have no Director's Cuts or Extended Editions or Producer's Cuts or Unrated Extended Versions in your DVD collection? Just the original theatricals, and if that wasn't the original intent of the director, and some producer or studio honcho got in there and decided the movie needed to be re-edited before release, that's good enough for you? And every director's work is sacred? No director has taken a property that you care about and crapped all over it? Wouldn't you like to see a Batman Forever that you can watch? How about a Star Wars Episode I with Jar-Jar and Anakin so reduced that people with IQs over 50 can enjoy the movie? How about a version of Man on Fire that doesn't wuss out out the end and uses the original ending that test audiences "didn't respond well to." How about a Spider-Man 2 where (1) Peter decides to give up being Spidey instead of having it forced on him by losing his powers through some contrived psychological loss of focus, and (2) Doc Ock doesn't have the mysterious ability to take a punch in the face without effect from a guy who can throw cars around (and (3) and (4) and...--like I said, there are many problems with this movie)?

I guess what it comes down to for me is that when a movie gets made, a lot of footage is shot by the creative people, and then a lot of people got their hands into the mix, and decisions are made for business, not artistic, purposes, and in addition to that, I'm sorry, but I don't just accept that every director out there makes better artistic decisions than I do.
Old 12-23-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
I didn't make this, but it's a great short version of the Big Lebowski
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqtgfjkB6Pg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqtgfjkB6Pg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.