Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : do you leave your car running during winter?

mhg83
12-21-07, 05:38 PM
My co-workers always leave there car running for a few minutes during winter time. I just figured this was the norm and did the same. Then my dad told me he never does this and it can damage your car. He even showed me an article from a car mechanic that said the same thing. So should I let my car run for a few minutes or just drive off?

EdTheRipper
12-21-07, 05:42 PM
I usually sit for a couple of minutes when leaving first thing in the morning.

dtcarson
12-21-07, 05:45 PM
I let it run for a minute, mainly to either defrost the windshield or get the heater going.

mosquitobite
12-21-07, 05:51 PM
I have an automatic start on my car :D Nice to start the car from the warmth of my dining room!

wishbone
12-21-07, 05:58 PM
On newer vehicles you can warm it up for 1-2 mins and it should be okay to drive in cold weather. Having an attached garage with a little bit of heat makes it easier to start the car on a cold morning. ;)

rw2516
12-21-07, 06:07 PM
I let it run until the high idle kicks down or until the defroster melts the frost on the windshield.

zuffy
12-21-07, 06:28 PM
I always let the car run for a few minutes before driving, even in the summer.

jonnyquest
12-21-07, 06:37 PM
Warmup while idling takes longer than warmup during driving. From a "being good to your car" standpoint, you should drive as soon as possible (allow just enough warmup time for engine to run smoothly without stumbling or stalling) after starting. From a "being good to your body" standpoint, let it idle for a good long time to get the heat all toasty.

atlantamoi
12-21-07, 06:38 PM
I've never done this and I never will. In a garage or outside.

ernestrp
12-21-07, 06:54 PM
I used to run out and let it run to warm up back when gas prices were under 1.00 many years ago. No more -1.00 gas and I thinks you can get a ticket or arrested for leaving an un-occupied vehicle running. I just get in and go.

-popcorn-
Signature

Abelkems
12-21-07, 06:54 PM
I let it run for a minute, mainly to either defrost the windshield or get the heater going.

Same here. If it's cold I'll let it run long enough to heat up the car before I leave.

mikehunt
12-21-07, 07:25 PM
no
and almost nothing pisses me off more than people that bitch about other people driving low mpg vehicles yet let their own car run for 15-20 minutes before getting in it

jonw9
12-21-07, 08:20 PM
No,
I start the engine, buckle my seatbelt and go.

My neighbor (both husband and wife) but warm their cars on average 20 minutes before going anyplace. Maybe if they cleaned out their garage the could fit their cars in and it wouldn't be necessary, but that is another thread.

matta
12-21-07, 08:43 PM
I've never done this and I never will. In a garage or outside.

And how do you defrost the windshield? Do you just roll down the window and stick your head out until you can see?

Oh wait... Atlanta... damn you southerners.

Brian Shannon
12-21-07, 08:56 PM
No, it is a waste of gas.

kantonburg
12-21-07, 09:08 PM
I do on the mornings when my car has frost on it. I don't have a garage so I don't have that choice.

7Keys
12-21-07, 10:01 PM
Yes, I'm parking on the street right now. I do it for about 15 mins in the morning if there is ice or frost. I do it for the melt, not to heat the inside.

Mole177
12-21-07, 10:11 PM
until the needle hits the "C."

dadaluholla
12-21-07, 10:51 PM
Not to warm it up or anything, but I have been thinking about starting the car up in the garage, and just sitting in there for a while.

bunkaroo
12-21-07, 11:52 PM
And how do you defrost the windshield? Do you just roll down the window and stick your head out until you can see?

Oh wait... Atlanta... damn you southerners.

Do they not have scrapers in MD? :)

matta
12-22-07, 01:10 AM
Do they not have scrapers in MD? :)

How would I know what they have in Maryland? Where I live, they do not sell scrapers, though.

NotThatGuy
12-22-07, 01:11 AM
Now, i'm afraid the car may take off and hit a palm tree!

:lol:

-p

atlantamoi
12-22-07, 06:43 AM

Oh wait... Atlanta... damn you southerners. Yeah, it's part living in warmer weather, but mostly having a garage. But when I lived in Kansas City, Annapolis and Indianapolis I never heated up the car either. I guess I did if ice was on the windshield. That's the only time, though.

Nick Danger
12-22-07, 07:03 AM
I let the car idle long enough to scrape the ice off the windshield. If there's no ice, I give it the 30 seconds required by the turbo.

It seems incredibly wasteful to wait until the interior is warmed. Do you think you aren't spending enough on gasoline, and need to kick in just a little more?

AGuyNamedMike
12-22-07, 09:45 AM
I let the car idle long enough to scrape the ice off the windshield. If there's no ice, I give it the 30 seconds required by the turbo.

It seems incredibly wasteful to wait until the interior is warmed. Do you think you aren't spending enough on gasoline, and need to kick in just a little more?

Yep. I've lived in many latitudes and even when my car was totally encased in ice from freezing rain I only let it run long enough for me to clear the windshield. We're planning to move to Fairbanks before fall, and with engine block heaters the norm there, I reckon there will still be no need to "warm up" the engine.

Giantrobo
12-22-07, 10:09 AM
Yep. I've lived in many latitudes and even when my car was totally encased in ice from freezing rain I only let it run long enough for me to clear the windshield. We're planning to move to Fairbanks before fall, and with engine block heaters the norm there, I reckon there will still be no need to "warm up" the engine.

Alaska? Really?

I've been in Southern California all my life so I've never been in winter weather that severe. Also, my car's booklet says that it doesn't need to be "warmed up" and that actual driving is what properly warms the car. I'm not sure if that also applies if the car is in snow.

My Father was a truck driver and his truck had an engine warmer system that he could plug into any outlet.

AGuyNamedMike
12-22-07, 10:20 AM
Alaska? Really?

I've been in Southern California all my life so I've never been in winter weather that severe. Also, my car's booklet says that it doesn't need to be "warmed up" and that actual driving is what properly warms the car. I'm not sure if that also applies if the car is in snow.

My Father was a truck driver and his truck had an engine warmer system that he could plug into any outlet.

In Alaska there seem to be outlets in the parking lot for you to plug in your engine block heater. They even mention them in ads for rental apartments and houses.

4KRG
12-22-07, 10:40 AM
Don't let it warm up for more than 1 minute

Goat3001
12-22-07, 11:12 AM
If there is ice/snow I'll start the car and clean off the windshields and windows enough so I can see then I drive away. If its just cold I jump in the car and off I go.

argh923
12-22-07, 11:53 AM
I have an automatic start on my car :D Nice to start the car from the warmth of my dining room!

Same here. :thumbsup:

mndtrp
12-23-07, 08:55 AM
If there is ice/snow I'll start the car and clean off the windshields and windows enough so I can see then I drive away. If its just cold I jump in the car and off I go.
Same here.

emptysky
12-23-07, 09:22 AM
One morning when I was in high school, I got in the car, turned it on and immediately drove off on a cold morning. When I pulled out of the driveway, the car cut off right there in the middle of the road. After that I always let it warm up for at least a minute or two when I lived in colder climates.

RunBandoRun
12-23-07, 09:37 AM
Only if there's snow or ice on the windshield. I start the engine, turn the defrosters and rear window defogger on full blast, and scrape the windshield. As soon as it's clear enough for me to drive, I will take off. If I know it's going to snow or sleet overnight, I will cover my windshield with plastic so I don't have to scrape in the morning.

If it's merely cold, but the windshield and rear window are clear, I take off right away. Cars warm up much more quickly while being driven than while sitting and idling.

That's one reason I never understood the scene in "Fargo" where Jerry leaves his father-in-law's office and starts scraping his windshield without turning the engine on. Especially in Minnesota, that would take FOREVER.

dvdsteve2000
12-23-07, 04:36 PM
I usually don't have time to let it run for a while. On very few occasions, when the snow is friggin piled on my car, I may run out to warm it up...but I usually don't scrape all the snow off my car. I have a close-to-being-tardy-all-the-time thing going on.