Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

System for non-gamer

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System for non-gamer

I haven't had a game system since the first Nintendo, but I'm thinking of buying something. I've thought about a PS2, since they are pretty cheap and there are plenty of games out. I walked by a used store at the mall today, and they had used gamecubes for either $29 or $39, and used Xboxes for $59. My concern with used systems is that they may crap out, and I'll have a paperweight. Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thin PS2s are a fairly sturdy system in my experience. I'd pick up one of those since the PS2 also has a freaking ton of games and a lot of them are really cheap now.
Old 12-20-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It may be more of an investment but Try a xbox 360. Great games, Xbox live arcade, If not into games, they have movies alot in HD on marketplace, tv shows, etc.
Old 12-20-07, 11:25 PM

ps2 or gamecube is a great idea. both are cheap, huge game librarys and are still available in most stores new.
Old 12-21-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Wii is really made for someone who got out of gaming and wants to get back in. It has a lot of pick up and play type games, it plays all the old gamecube games, and you can download a lot of the old NES games for the Virtual console.
Old 12-21-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wii is a good idea if you can get one, for all the reasons stated above. If you can't find one, a PS2 is a good idea.

A 360 is a great system, but maybe too much of an investment. But it does do a lot more as well.
Old 12-21-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shit, Im a non-gamer and I have all 3 (Wii, PS3, and 360)... What the hell is wrong with me??
Old 12-21-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, guys. What are the opinions on used systems? Is it going to die in a month or two, or is there a good chance it will last a while.

I also want something I can play with my 5 year old daughter. I figure she could probably do a racing game, or some kind of Mario type game(go right, jump).
Old 12-21-07, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Shit, Im a non-gamer and I have all 3 (Wii, PS3, and 360)... What the hell is wrong with me??
I think you may need to refine your definition of "non-gamer".
Old 12-21-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by ESUguy
Thanks, guys. What are the opinions on used systems? Is it going to die in a month or two, or is there a good chance it will last a while.

I also want something I can play with my 5 year old daughter. I figure she could probably do a racing game, or some kind of Mario type game(go right, jump).
Wii would probably be best thanks to the Virtual Console option, but a GC/PS2 would suffice.

I buy used all the time and don't have an issue. I bought an extended warranty at Gamestop for a used PS2 for like $10 for 3 years.
Old 12-21-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Wii would probably be best thanks to the Virtual Console option, but a GC/PS2 would suffice.

I buy used all the time and don't have an issue. I bought an extended warranty at Gamestop for a used PS2 for like $10 for 3 years.
I'm not willing to put the money into an Xbox 360 or Wii. I'm looking at used/inexpensive systems because I'm not sure how much it will be used. I just want something I can play with my daughter, or something I can kill some time with.

I didn't know Gamestop offered an extended warranty. I may have to look into that.

As far as games for me, I'd like something with a decent race game, football game, and a fps like Rainbow 6 or Call of Duty.
Old 12-21-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you buy a used system, most places like Gamestop have some warranty to go with it. I bought a used game cube a few years back and it has never failed on me. Although I don't play it much since I got a 360 and PS3.
Old 12-21-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamecubes are little bricks. You shouldn't have to worry about buying one of those used. Just inspect the outside for any visible "obvious" wear and tear. X-box and PS2 are slightly flimsier, because of the sliding game trays, but I've had a used xbox for 3 years now and it's still going strong. I don't think you have much to worry about there.

Of the options listed, and not knowing what games you're into, I don't think you can go wrong with a PS2 or a Gamecube. The PS2 has a greater variety of games to play and the Gamecube's great games are really fucking great. Hell, you could probably get both, and a few games for each for a little over $100.

I say skip the Wii and 360 for now if you aren't pressed to play the latest and greatest. They aren't going anywhere.
Old 12-21-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would say buy a new PS2 or a Wii.

Amazon had Gamecubes last night for $50.
Old 12-21-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Gamecubes are little bricks. You shouldn't have to worry about buying one of those used. Just inspect the outside for any visible "obvious" wear and tear. X-box and PS2 are slightly flimsier, because of the sliding game trays, but I've had a used xbox for 3 years now and it's still going strong. I don't think you have much to worry about there.

Of the options listed, and not knowing what games you're into, I don't think you can go wrong with a PS2 or a Gamecube. The PS2 has a greater variety of games to play and the Gamecube's great games are really fucking great. Hell, you could probably get both, and a few games for each for a little over $100.

I say skip the Wii and 360 for now if you aren't pressed to play the latest and greatest. They aren't going anywhere.

But at the same time, the 360 does have a lot of cool arcade games. ....cough...Settlers of Catan...cough...
Old 12-21-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wii or PS2.

PS2 is probably the best choice if you could get one at sub-$100. Otherwise you'd be better off with a Wii at $250 which gets you all the GC games as well.
Old 12-21-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
But at the same time, the 360 does have a lot of cool arcade games. ....cough...Settlers of Catan...cough...
For sure, but not everyone wants to plunk down $275 plus Live fee's to play those games. And 360 isn't exactly the most non-gamer friendly console in the world, when it comes to full release games.

PS2 and Gamecube have much better options for that.
Old 12-21-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you considered a DS? It has a crazy big library of games and non-games. It can be played in the house and out of the house.
Old 12-21-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Have you considered a DS? It has a crazy big library of games and non-games. It can be played in the house and out of the house.
I'm not interested in a hand-held, even though it would be nice while flying. The GameCube is still $50 at Amazon. I'll probably pick one up in the next week. I need to make sure nobody gets me a system for x-mas.
Old 12-21-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't get a cube... because if you are, a Wii would be better serve since it will play Cube games anyway. I know it is $200 more but you are not going to buy another system for a long long time anyway, and you can buy new games for many years to come. The Cube is dead and no new games will be made.
Old 12-21-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
As someone that was very late to the party, I'm really glad I got a PS2 a little over a year ago. A lot of great titles and accessories with really cheap prices helped my decision.
Old 12-21-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS2 may have tons and tons of games but how many of them are you actually gonna play? I would go with one of the newer systems.

Quality over quantity, yes the PS1 outsold the Nintendo 64 but having owned both the N64 had far, far superior games. As did the Dreamcast compared to the PS2.
Old 12-21-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
PS2 may have tons and tons of games but how many of them are you actually gonna play? I would go with one of the newer systems.

Quality over quantity, yes the PS1 outsold the Nintendo 64 but having owned both the N64 had far, far superior games. As did the Dreamcast compared to the PS2.
How can you over quality over quantity, when the PS2 easily has more "great" games than the Wii, 360, or PS3 just because of how long it's been around and how many people developed for it? You can't sell that system's output short.

And while all may not, many of those games still stand up easily against todays games. Especially, if a person hasn't made the jump to "current gen" yet. You're saying someone still can't have fun with a ps2 because the people aren't as shiny and high res? C'mon. Sure, the current gen has online play over the last gen in spades, but the games are that different that I have a hard time going back and playing some older stuff.

There isn't that same whiplash in graphics as there was when we jumped from N64/PS1, to PS2, Xbox, and the Gamecube.

Last edited by boredsilly; 12-21-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-21-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
How can you over quality over quantity, when the PS2 easily has more "great games than the Wii, 360, or PS3 just because of how long it's been around and how many people developed for it? It might not have had the games you're looking for, but you can't sell that system's output short.

And while all may not, many of those games still stand up easily against todays games. Especially, if a person hasn't made the jump to "current gen" yet. You're saying someone still can't have fun with a ps2 because the people aren't as shiny and high res? C'mon.
I've always thought if you're gonna spend money on something you might as well get the current version. Of course, you can have fun with a PS2 but I, personally, don't recommend it.
Old 12-21-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've always thought if you're gonna spend money on something you might as well get the current version. Of course, you can have fun with a PS2 but I, personally, don't recommend it.
That's usually how I consider purchases like this.

1. I'm not sure how much it's going to be used. Maybe I'll play an hour every night, maybe I'll play an hour a week.

2. I don't want to spend too much at this point, because my daughters(5 and 2) and probably going to buy whatever the next gen is in a few years. This system is just to kill some time and have something else to play with my year old

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.