Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problem with Xbox Live connecting to games

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Problem with Xbox Live connecting to games

Hey guys, I don't know whether I should put this here or in Tech talk, maybe someone can chime in here.

Recently, I've tried to play both Smackdown 08 and Guitar Hero 3 on Live against my friends (they've sent requests to play, and vice versa). And I cannot get the games to connect at all, I always end up with a failure to connect message.

I'm connected to Fios with a wired D-Link router, any ideas guys? It seems to connect fine when I'm playing against strangers, but any requests result in this issue.
Old 12-21-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First step:

In the network settings area on your Xbox, there is a network connection test. Run it. See if your NAT is OPEN, MODERATE, or STRICT.

I'd hazard a guess that you're having a NAT issue with someone else's router. We can probably help you fix that.
Old 12-22-07, 07:38 PM

Thanks GreenMonkey,

I will give that a look, however tonight I put on my 360 and pop in an HD import, and it says theres an update, so I agree to update it. Now it won't connect to live at all (I did the test, and everything is fine up until it tries to connect to Live, which then the system doesn't give me a reason for =| )
Old 12-22-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Now it won't connect to live at all (I did the test, and everything is fine up until it tries to connect to Live, which then the system doesn't give me a reason for =| )
Check the 360 thread. That is currently happening to everyone right now. Hopefully it will be fixed tonight.
Old 01-02-08, 07:07 PM

Sorry it took so long to come back to this thread.

I just checked the settings, and it says NAT is open, so any ideas?
Old 01-02-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you never been able to connect? Or just recently? If it's just recent, then it's probably XBox Live issues that others are having. If you've never been able to, then it's probably something going on with your router.
Old 01-02-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Connection problems have been reported on a couple of podcast I download. There seems to be something wrong on microsoft's end of things. That Major guy said they are working hard on the problem.
Old 01-02-08, 11:06 PM

Well last year when Smackdown 07 came out, I had the same issue I have with 08, and thats being hooked up to two different routers within that time frame. Tonight I tried to connect with a friend with Rock Band, but chalked it up to it being with Live since he couldn't get a game with anyone else (and he has in the past).

Right now I'm using a wired D-Link router, but previously I was using this Actiontec router that's free with Fios.