Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans-Siberian Orchestra

OMG, i just went and saw TSO in concert on sunday and they were pretty damn good. any thoughts??

they are the music from the miller lights holiday commercials..
Old 12-19-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
I saw them for the first time on 12/8 in Philly. It was an awesome show. We were the first section stage left. I was lovin' the Korean keyboard player. And the fire was intense that close.
Old 12-19-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fernsita
OMG, i just went and saw TSO in concert on sunday and they were pretty damn good. any thoughts??

they are the music from the miller lights holiday commercials..
Did you see the same concert I did? Verizon Center? It was the first concert I've been to at that place, and man the acoustics suck. I have all of the TSO albums and I really enjoyed some of the songs. Lighting was wayyy cool. But man, that had to be the cheesiest concert I've ever been to. Don't get me wrong, I was expecting some cheese. But damn. Had to force myself to stay.
Old 12-19-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen TSO since '01 (often twice a year). It's something of a holiday tradition with us. I've seen them in tiny personal 3500 seat theaters and big arenas. (I actually miss the near century-old theaters and all the intricate carvings on the ceilings and walls and plush curtains that only augmented the special atmosphere of the show.)

I've enjoyed the show because of finding little elements to hold on to. Watching the way Alex Skolnick nimbly works the strings on his guitar is absolute joy. Listening to Daryl Pediford, God rest his soul, was pure bliss. Watching the artists that debut on tour grow has been fun. Jeff Plate's drum solos are incredible. And I've never grown out of the kitsch that is the first half of the show. (I like to think that if we all believed in that type of thing a little more, this would be a better world for it.)

Most importantly, I was introduced to my favorite band (ZO2) as a result of repeatedly being at TSO shows and talking to the band afterwards. The show will be a part of the holidays as long as it continues.
Old 12-19-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I know a guy who does lights for the TSO. Not really that relevant, but i thought it was neat.
Old 12-19-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I've seen TSO the last three years, and although it was a great show each time, it was pretty much the exact same show each time. I know there are two touring companies, so why does the same company perform in the same venue every year?
Old 12-19-07, 09:11 PM

Finally got to see them for the first time this year at the new Sprint Center in KC. Great show. Hoping to make it an annual tradition.
Old 12-19-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw them in 2005 and 2003. This year their show here is the day AFTER Christmas. Just not quite the same.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=439968
Old 12-19-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love TSO, wish they would get more albums released - especially non-Christmas ones.

While I'm dreaming, I might as well also wish that Savatage (the core of TSO) would get around to releasing a new album. Their new lead singer sounded great live, and I'd love to hear a studio album with him.
Old 12-20-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw them last year in Philadelphia. The show was incredible. They had a special guest last year the lead singer from Yes who came out at the end of the show and they did a couple of Yes songs including Roundabout. Where there any special guests this year?
Old 12-20-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I never realized members of Savatage were members of TSO. Never seen TSO but I have seen Savatage, and caught a drumstick once at their show back in 90 or 91.
Old 12-20-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mark Wood rocks on violin. Saw him with Van Helsing's Curse too. Amazing violin solo.
Old 12-20-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Mark Wood rocks on violin. Saw him with Van Helsing's Curse too. Amazing violin solo.

I thought the name Mark Wood sounded familiar.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mLGTiRkXGQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mLGTiRkXGQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-20-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
TSO are incredibly talented, but the music is pretty cheeseball IMO. I'll take Savatage any day.
Old 12-20-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbon3
I thought the name Mark Wood sounded familiar.
Yeah, East Coast TSO gets him. West Coast I believe has some chick who is also good.
Old 12-20-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wishbon3
I hope that is a really old picture.
Old 12-20-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I hope that is a really old picture.

Mark Wood - Voodoo Violince circa 1991

I remember seeing this CD in a music store when it was out. He certainly has been at the forefront of this type of music fusion so kudos to him.
Old 12-20-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think my buddy asked Jeff Plate about Savatage this year. I'll have to ask him what Jeff said. (I'm guessing if this isn't a complete fabrication on my part, that there wasn't any news, or good news, to be had or I'd have remembered more distinctly.)
Old 12-21-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Wow, I never realized members of Savatage were members of TSO. Never seen TSO but I have seen Savatage, and caught a drumstick once at their show back in 90 or 91.
TSO started with the song "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo, 12/24)" on the Savatage CD "Dead Winter Dead." Jon Oliva doesn't usually sing for them, as his voice is too harsh and sinister for a Christmas CD. However, he did play the role of Mephistopheles on the TSO CD "Beethoven's Last Night."

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
One of my best friends was a customer at the comic shop I used to work at. At the time, we only knew each other from his visits to the store, where we would throw obscure music references at each other. One day he came in and said "You have to hear this guy... Mark Wood." To which I replied "Voodoo Violence. Great album!" He said at that moment he knew I was someone he wanted to hang around with.

I got to meet Mark at the first (and only) TSO concert I went to, and he was pleasantly surprised to hear someone remembered that album.

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
I think my buddy asked Jeff Plate about Savatage this year. I'll have to ask him what Jeff said.
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that the band has called it quits in terms of recording or national touring. I believe Jon Oliva said that the band just doesn't bring in enough money, and there's more cash in running TSO every Christmas while allowing the individual band members to do their own side projects in the off-time.
Old 12-21-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Side note about TSO - years past, one of our Detroit area stations had their annual pay to play Christmas feature, where you could pledge money to get them to play a song of your choice. Kid Rock called and pledged some obscene amount of money, stipulating that the station had to play one of his songs and one of TSO's every hour.
Old 12-22-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I got to meet Mark at the first (and only) TSO concert I went to, and he was pleasantly surprised to hear someone remembered that album.
Here are a few pics from the 2005 Detroit show. I had 7th row. The lights really screwed with the camera though.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-22-07 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see them again. My first experience was less than optimal.
Old 11-25-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New TSO song available for FREE from Amazon:

LINK

Don't expect it to be a rocker. I was disappointed.
Old 11-25-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Cool. Thanks Snowmaker.
Old 11-25-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
GASP! Sweet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.