DVD Talk
Bill Parcells to become VP of Operations for Atlanta Falcons [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Bill Parcells to become VP of Operations for Atlanta Falcons

Matthew Ackerly
12-19-07, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597

Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

Parcells said he has no plans to return to coaching.

"Arthur wants to rebuild the football operation. I'll hire a general manager and then we'll hire a coach. We'll do this together, the GM, the coach and myself. The coach absolutely will not be Bill Parcells. All this happens if we finalize this thing, which I expect to do."

Asked about a potential GM and coach, Parcells said, "I've got a list but that's all I'm saying."

Parcells added that current GM Rich McKay would be asked to stay aboard but that "I don't really know how he feels about that."

Blank has informed McKay that he will not return in the same role, even though the owner wants McKay to remain as the team's president, sources said.

Blank's talks with Parcells evolved from an advisory role into a firm offer to rebuild his football operation, sources said.

Blank could not be reached for comment.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, also has had limited dialogue with the Miami Dolphins about a similar role but the talks with the Falcons have been more urgent, a league source said.

McKay is out as general manager, sources said, even if Parcells does not join the Falcons. However, Blank has asked McKay to remain as the team's president to oversee short-range and long-range stadium plans and continue as a valuable liaison with the league.

It is uncertain if McKay would accept a new role with the Falcons. He also is co-chairman of the league's competition committee.

If Parcells declines his offer, Blank still will hire a new general manager or he could give personnel control to the new head coach, sources said.

Blank has acted with urgency since Bobby Petrino resigned as coach on Dec. 12th. He spoke with Bill Cowher on Friday when the former Steelers coach told the owner that he had no plans to return to the sidelines in 2008, sources said.

The Falcons owner also consulted with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones concerning Parcells, who resigned in January after four years as the Dallas coach. Jones credited Parcells with the franchise's turnaround at a point the Cowboys had suffered through three consecutive 5-11 seasons.

There is added irony in that Jones was an unofficial emissary for the University of Arkansas, his alma mater, who first relayed to Blank the school's interest in Petrino.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

atlantamoi
12-19-07, 11:42 AM
This is good news after a wretched season. Might not work out, but it's worth a shot.

DVD Josh
12-19-07, 12:16 PM
I don't know if I'd want to be a GM under parcells. He doesn't play nice with others. He needs a subservient coach, like a Norv Turner, Wade Phillips. A dominant personality will not do well under parcells.

Red Dog
12-19-07, 01:40 PM
Anything that gets off tv is fine with me - terrible commentator.

Matthew Ackerly
12-19-07, 02:29 PM
I think he's a pretty good analyst.

Emmit Smith is the one that needs to go. The guy cant go one sentence without stumbling over himself.

Brian Shannon
12-19-07, 02:36 PM

I agree, however, he seems to be a glutton for punishment. Why would he give up the tv gig, unless they were going to let him go anyway?

derekjet
12-19-07, 03:16 PM
Parcells will be 80 years old before Atlanta's mess gets straightened out.

Parcells is so freakin' money hungry that he cant resist.

Chew
12-19-07, 03:25 PM

Maybe he can take Bryant Gumble and Emmitt Smith with him?

chrisih8u
12-19-07, 03:28 PM
Looks like he turned down the Falcons and is talking to the Dolphins.

das Monkey
12-19-07, 03:32 PM
How am I going to find out The Weasel's picks without him?!?

das

starman9000
12-19-07, 03:33 PM
Looks like he turned down the Falcons and is talking to the Dolphins.

Yep, from ESPN:

Not So Fast: No Deal For Parcells

Bill Parcells and the Atlanta Falcons had a deal in principle Tuesday night. By Wednesday afternoon, it was gone. The team said Wednesday that Parcells "would not be signing a contract with us" and that Parcells is "considering a revised offer from the Miami Dolphins."

wildcatlh
12-19-07, 03:33 PM
Looks like Atlanta is out... and Miami is in?

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

Parcells was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.

Matthew Ackerly
12-19-07, 03:40 PM
wow, The falcons cant catch a break this year

DVD Josh
12-19-07, 03:41 PM
Frankly, Miami is a much, much better situation. They will get the #1 pick in the draft and Ronnie Brown back. They will be MUCH improved for 2008.

das Monkey
12-19-07, 03:47 PM
Besides, all you have to do in Miami is win a single game to get your owner to cry like a baby and liken it to winning the Super Bowl.

das

LurkerDan
12-19-07, 05:12 PM
actually, I think they just did. Bill is a great coach, but as head of football operations, being neither GM or coach, I'm not sure he would have helped them.

Bacon
12-19-07, 06:02 PM
They're the Falcons they can't catch a break, EVER ;)

starman9000
12-19-07, 06:13 PM
They're the Falcons they can't catch a break, EVER ;)

Unless a perfect kicking season by Gary Anderson is on the line :(

JumpCutz
12-19-07, 06:39 PM
Unless a perfect kicking season by Gary Anderson is on the line :(

:lol: I almost forgot about that.

LivingINClip
12-19-07, 06:45 PM
It amazes me how fast these multi-million dollar deals can fall through. Just earlier today, I read on ESPN and here that he was going to the Falcons and now, hours later, he is going to the Dolphins.

Jesus.

Either way, it's a great move for the Dolphins. The "Big Tuna" has forgotten more about football than most will ever know.

twikoff
12-19-07, 06:45 PM
i guess atlanta wasnt a big enough challenge for bill

NotThatGuy
12-19-07, 08:30 PM
I'm not surprised, the President and CEO of Dolphins Enterprises was just on with the local sports radio guy last night and he said Cam Cameron is the coach and he will continue to be the coach, but they are going to give new people a chance to make decisions in the organization. The GM and some of the other people in the administration are hated by the fans. I hope Bill takes the position, as he'll have a supportive owner (I'm not sure what to make of the rumors about the team being available), some good young players, the #1 draft pick, and the expectation that they are still re-building.

They have NO qb though. Lemon is NOT the answer, and John Beck hasn't played much.

-p

vegasbaby
12-19-07, 11:15 PM
Parcells is such a dog. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)

Mad Dawg
12-20-07, 12:08 AM
Parcells is such a dog. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)

The rumor is that he had been talking to Miami, had an agreement in place with Atlanta, told Miami about the deal to see if they were still interested, and Blank cut off their deal to avoid a bidding war. Parcells played him, but Blank is supposedly the one who backed out. With good reason.

Obey The D
12-20-07, 08:53 AM
Parcells is such a whore. He always weasles out at the last second on one deal when a better one comes along (remember Tampa?)

Fixed

Jobronie
12-20-07, 08:56 AM
i guess atlanta wasnt a big enough challenge for billThat, and Miami is an easier commute from Jupiter.....

DVD Josh
12-20-07, 09:06 AM
The rumor is that he had been talking to Miami, had an agreement in place with Atlanta, told Miami about the deal to see if they were still interested, and Blank cut off their deal to avoid a bidding war. Parcells played him, but Blank is supposedly the one who backed out. With good reason.

You have to wonder at some if people will stop thinking that Blank is always the aggrieved party.

derekjet
12-20-07, 11:10 AM
How can someone like Parcells' be considered for the Hall of Fame considering the way he continues to do business ?

Believe me, I know that there are plenty of Hall of Famers who arent the most moralistic, but Parcells is shameless because he keeps doing it.

I hate arrogance, and Parcells' has it in parcels.

mphtrilogy
12-20-07, 11:29 AM
I was going to slightly root for him in Atl, but as a Jet Fan, I look forward to burying him in Miami.

I think the guy is Solid, and he turned around the Jets pretty good, but he left them in Cap Hell for a few years when he left.

Miami made a good choice, but will the HC be looking over his shoulder at the press box.....

BravesMG
12-20-07, 12:04 PM
You have to wonder at some if people will stop thinking that Blank is always the aggrieved party.:thumbsup: Especially telling McKay to basically get the fuck out to make room for Parcells, letting Parcells comment on it, and now they've got nothing. Almost all of Blank's wounds have been self-inflicted, but as long as he keeps going on MNF and Sportscenter with the "woe is me" shit, he'll squeeze as much sympathy as he can.

Chew
12-20-07, 03:10 PM
Now Parcells just has to check off stops at Buffalo, Washington, and Philly to complete his sweep of the 8 "East" teams. :lol:

das Monkey
12-20-07, 04:33 PM
I don't see any "woe is me" going on here. Blank is a no-nonsense kind of guy. Parcells did what a lot of people do, playing one job offer against another, but ran into Blank, who would rather back out than play those games. A business deal fell through. There is no aggrieved party. And McKay's job was getting shifted away from GM regardless of Parcells.

das