Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh Penguins 10 greatest games

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-17-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picked this up today and was looking forward to watching it. Popped in the Pens vs North Stars and the quality was horrible, almost unwatchable. The game is from 91 and I watched it on ESPN classics and it was fine. Havent had a chance to check out the other discs. Are the other games horrible quality also?
Old 12-17-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please let us know what you think of the other games, I was thinking about picking this up (even though I'm a Flyers fan) for the Mario games.
Old 12-17-07, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I was kinda worried the quality would be bad.
Old 12-17-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the boxset but i havent checked it yet but i will. i do have the north stars game from a dvd giveaway a couple years ago and the quality was pretty bad on that, and i imagine its probably the same as the new set. it gets quite blurry with all the action going on but its still better than my old worn out VHS.

my real complaint about the set though is that game one of the 92 finals against the blackhawks isnt on it, it wasnt up for the voting from what i understand, and i think its the 3rd greatest game in penguins history behind the 2 cup clinchers.
Old 12-17-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm disappointed to hear the quality of the games may bad on this set. I've been close to buying it several times, even though I'm a Blues fan not a Penguins fan. It's just always seemed interesting and I'm always up for more hockey on DVD, considering how very little there is.
Old 12-17-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered it through DDD (it was like $19.34 or so during the 20% off sale) and have watched some of the 96 playoff game against Washington and the 2001 game 7 against Buffalo and the quality was good.
Old 12-18-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElementZ
Picked this up today and was looking forward to watching it. Popped in the Pens vs North Stars and the quality was horrible, almost unwatchable. The game is from 91 and I watched it on ESPN classics and it was fine. Havent had a chance to check out the other discs. Are the other games horrible quality also?
I don't know on what size display you were watching, but my advice in general for these (and various other) sets of old game broadcasts on DVD, is to watch them on as small a display as possible. Due to very low-def source material (ie - old broadcast video), most of these look hideous on a large display.

I personally stick with my old 20" tube TV when I watch these kinds of DVD's, and they're really much more tolerable in terms of viewing quality. And it even adds to the nostalgic quality to do so - for me anyways.
Old 12-18-07, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
i have the boxset but i havent checked it yet but i will. i do have the north stars game from a dvd giveaway a couple years ago and the quality was pretty bad on that, and i imagine its probably the same as the new set. it gets quite blurry with all the action going on but its still better than my old worn out VHS.

my real complaint about the set though is that game one of the 92 finals against the blackhawks isnt on it, it wasnt up for the voting from what i understand, and i think its the 3rd greatest game in penguins history behind the 2 cup clinchers.
I'm hopeful that at some point, they will release sets of both the 91 and 92 cup wins, with the complete games of the finals and also include at least some season and playoff highlights. And I would really be shocked if there wasn't some sort of a comprehensive DVD release on Mario's career and the myriad of highlights that could be part of that one! I may be reaching on the cup year sets, but I would think a Mario DVD (or set!) would be a given.

The NHL channel, which was recently added to my cable lineup, has some great one hour shows called "Classic Series" where they'll show a past playoff or cup final series with game highlights and some post-game interviews clips thrown in. I've watched a few of the Pens ones already and they're very well done. They would make good future DVD releases also, similar to what the NFL network did with the "America's Game" series.
Old 12-18-07, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Watched the Pens vs Flyers were Crosby racked up 6 points and that was fine.
Old 12-18-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoeR63
And I would really be shocked if there wasn't some sort of a comprehensive DVD release on Mario's career and the myriad of highlights that could be part of that one! I may be reaching on the cup year sets, but I would think a Mario DVD (or set!) would be a given.
a couple years ago, they gave away a great Mario compilation DVD at one of the games too, (they gave away 6 DVDs that year, 5 of them are in the warner brothers set). it may still turn up on ebay from time to time. but yes i agree, mario certainly needs a quality DVD release such as the Gretzky one.

i checked the quality of the North Stars game on the WB set and its the same quality as the one given at the game. pretty bad but its nice to have anyway.