DVD Talk
Howard Stern: The History of Howard Stern (Sirius 100) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Howard Stern: The History of Howard Stern (Sirius 100)

Toad
12-17-07, 03:15 PM
Has anyone tuned in to hear the history of Howard Stern today?

It's a 5-day series, and so far it's been very entertaining.

The production quality is really really good. I wish I had all day to sit and listen.

CPA-ESQ.
12-17-07, 03:26 PM
I liked it a lot.

I wish they would have toned down some of the music that was playing when peole were talking.

Toad
12-17-07, 03:30 PM
I like the voiceover by the E! True Hollywood Story guy.

Chrisedge
12-17-07, 04:31 PM
I liked it a lot.

I wish they would have toned down some of the music that was playing when peole were talking.

That was driving me nuts!

Chad
12-17-07, 04:48 PM
Yes, I've heard bits and pieces throughout the day (recording it) and it's done a damn fine job of living up to the hype so far. I've been on a bit of a hiatus from the show and this is literally the first time I've listened in at least two months ...and what a day to come back!

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/history-howard-stern.jpg

Here's the website, BTW:

http://www.sirius.com/historyofhoward

Timber
12-17-07, 06:04 PM
Is it really 5 days or is it 4 days and then MTT on Friday? I don't think they've done any specials for all 5 days.

Chad
12-17-07, 06:21 PM
Is it really 5 days or is it 4 days and then MTT on Friday? I don't think they've done any specials for all 5 days.

It's actually a full five days:

Dec. 17 at 6 am ET - The Early Years
Dec. 18 at 6 am ET - Howard’s Radio Journey Begins
Dec. 19 at 6 am ET - Mr. Stern Goes To Washington
Dec. 20 at 6 am ET - Welcome To The Big Apple
Dec. 21 at 6 am ET - End Of The WNBC Era

Deftones
12-17-07, 07:59 PM

It took me about 5 minutes to place the guys voice, but then I finally figured it out.

JMLEWIS1
12-17-07, 09:44 PM
love it so far...do they archive it somewhere? I keep catching the same parts in the car

Ph8te
12-18-07, 12:26 AM
love it so far...do they archive it somewhere? I keep catching the same parts in the car

There are no legal archives of the show. You can always catch the replays or go the the "bad" ;) side of the internet and get it. Many people though are getting the stilettos and recording the shows so that they can listen to then in the future. They were talking about offering it on CD or something, but Howard dosent want to do that (at least for now).

lopper
12-18-07, 08:20 AM
I've got this week off of work and only keep my receiver in the car, so I haven't really been listening. With all the replays, Best Of's, and Master Tape Theaters, I honestly didn't think I'd even enjoy this one bit.

However, I went to the store last night and heard a bit of the show, and I really liked it. They were doing interviews with some of Howard's childhood friends, which I found surprisingly entertaining.

Hopefully they'll replay this when they're on vacation this summer.

Toad
12-18-07, 08:26 AM
During yesterday's show, they played some clips from Howard's first college radio show at Boston University. He actually got fired, on-air, during his first show. But they came back. You can really see where he got his start. Impressive for a 20-year old college kid.

I'm loving this thing.

CPA-ESQ.
12-18-07, 09:23 AM
He seems to be hitting his groove with some of the bits when he went to Detroit - lots of foreign calls - Russia, Scotland Yard, etc... truly groundbreaking at the time.

Demontooth
12-18-07, 11:38 AM
I've got this week off of work and only keep my receiver in the car, so I haven't really been listening. With all the replays, Best Of's, and Master Tape Theaters, I honestly didn't think I'd even enjoy this one bit.

However, I went to the store last night and heard a bit of the show, and I really liked it. They were doing interviews with some of Howard's childhood friends, which I found surprisingly entertaining.

Hopefully they'll replay this when they're on vacation this summer.

You can listen online. The music in the background when people are talking is very annoying.

Toad
12-18-07, 11:40 AM
Howard's mom and dad are assholes.

windom
12-18-07, 11:56 AM

Jim Forbes is doing the voiceover. I'm pretty sure he didn't do any of the E! True Hollywood Story shows. He is best known for VH-1's Behind the Music. Perhaps that is that what you are thinking of.

Toad
12-18-07, 12:03 PM
It's exactly what I'm thinking of...thanks for correcting me.

Demontooth
12-20-07, 09:29 AM
I don't know about you guys but I haven't heard "Rebel Rebel" enough times.

spainlinx0
12-20-07, 09:45 AM

How come?

Demontooth
12-20-07, 01:20 PM
All the clapping in the old clips is driving me insane.

nodeerforamonth
12-20-07, 04:50 PM

???

hdtv00
12-21-07, 08:46 AM
I went to the dark side but I can't wait to catch up , I'm still in the early years, can't wait to get to the good stuff.

Deftones
12-21-07, 09:05 AM

Agreed. Has to be the most annoying thing about the old shows.

sauce07
12-21-07, 09:12 AM
This has been amazing so far. I was born in 1983 and didn't start listening on a regular basis until kroc. Its been great to be able to hear all of these old bits with context. can't wait for Act 2 when they get into more stuff from the 90's.

Charlie Goose
12-21-07, 09:13 AM
Shut UP sit DOWN!

Toad
12-21-07, 09:15 AM
I can't really support my "his parents are assholes" comment with any specifics. Just my general feeling every time I hear them. If my mother talked to me the way his does, I'd probably be a freak, too.

The intro of Gary was great. His first day his last names was "Delabate" like "Del-a-bait". Howard liked to Italian-ize it, i.e., "del-a-bah-tay", which Gary liked since it's the real pronunciation.

fuzzbox
12-21-07, 09:57 AM

Really, annoying, isn't it?

What is the point of it- is it supposed to replace laughter or something? It sounds so artificial.

On the other hand, I remember when O&A were on WAAF out of Worcester, MA (1999-2000?). They did the same clapping thing for their entire show. Now i know where it came from...

-jason

Timber
12-21-07, 10:01 AM
Rebel Rebel...
The clapping...
Howard calling himself "How-wierd"...

were all too annoying for words. The highlights for me are easily Robin's introduction and "Boy" Gary's introduction. I love how he mispronounces a word his first day on the radio. Who could have know what that would lead to.

Nesbit
12-21-07, 10:05 AM
Huge fan of the show now but if I had listened during the DC days I would be turned off forever. Did his show at WNBC more closely resemble the DC days or his show as it is today?

Timber
12-21-07, 10:15 AM
Just by hearing the last few days I think the DC show sounded better then the WNBC ones. They ramped up the clapping and "How-weird's" voice sounds squirrellier then before.

Nesbit
12-21-07, 10:24 AM
Maybe it's just the clips they play. My favorite part of the show is usually the first hour where they are just sitting around talking about whatever is going on. I guess those types of segments wouldn't fit in well with a show like this.

CPA-ESQ.
12-21-07, 10:28 AM
I love how he mispronounces a word his first day on the radio. Who could have know what that would lead to.

He was called "boy" Gary for a while

He didn't mispronounce Bobba-Looie until K rock days

Timber
12-21-07, 11:52 AM
He was called "boy" Gary for a while

He didn't mispronounce Bobba-Looie until K rock days
Yeah I know. I just mean that he started to show that he has a habit of just misusing words.

Snowmaker
12-21-07, 12:06 PM
"How-weird" it is to listen to a lot of those old shows. Howard seemed like much more of an asshole back then on WNBC than he portrayed himself in the movie. And Robin sounds the same, but Howard sounds like Kermit the Frog back then.

One thing that still confuses me to this day, was it "Pig Vomit" or "Pig Virus" or both that he called his station director?

Deftones
12-21-07, 12:11 PM
They called him both, as each was used several times in the special.

Snowmaker
12-21-07, 12:19 PM
They called him both, as each was used several times in the special.

Oh, OK. I didn't listen today. Yesterday it was all "Virus".

flashburn
12-21-07, 12:34 PM
I thought they called him "Pig Virus" in real life and changed it to "Pig Vomit" for the movie?

Snowmaker
12-21-07, 12:40 PM
I thought they called him "Pig Virus" in real life and changed it to "Pig Vomit" for the movie?

I remember even before the movie, Howard had a CD out called Pig Vomit. Not sure what was on it though.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7480/a17f1il2.jpg

Bill Geiger
12-21-07, 12:54 PM
I actually enjoyed listening to it. His voice though, with that high pitch, was hard to take.

Demontooth
12-21-07, 01:22 PM
clap clap clap clap

lucasorion
12-29-07, 05:47 PM
I hated the voice, sounded like he was doing a high-pitched Jimmy Cagney impression. I stopped listening to T.H.O.H.S sometime around the early wnbc period, but I heard a replay today, from Bestiality Dial-A-Date, and was laughing quite a bit - I guess they did manage to cut out the shticky morning-zoo stuff sometimes back then. I think I picked the right time to start listening to the show, though, when I was a HS senior in the mid 90s.

hdtv00
12-29-07, 08:30 PM
Yeah I finally finished all 5 days last night, the voice could care less. But that god damn clapping was painfully stupid.

Great , great 5 day show though, was amazing. Can't wait for the Krock days.

JMLEWIS1
12-30-07, 11:04 PM
I managed to listen to most of it and it really is strange how his voice has changed. I only began listening over the last year or so, so I never really knew how whiny he used to be. He seems pretty laid back and cool now, but man, what a whiny bastard he used to be. Was kind of annoying to listen to, but I can see why his show was popular as it was still entertaining as hell.

tommy28
12-31-07, 05:29 AM
I managed to listen to most of it and it really is strange how his voice has changed. I only began listening over the last year or so, so I never really knew how whiny he used to be. He seems pretty laid back and cool now, but man, what a whiny bastard he used to be. Was kind of annoying to listen to, but I can see why his show was popular as it was still entertaining as hell.

some would argue that those whiny days were his best days.

for me i prefer the show now. less laid back and less moring zoo type radio that seems to be popular again.

fuzzbox
12-31-07, 07:54 AM
I remember even before the movie, Howard had a CD out called Pig Vomit. Not sure what was on it though.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7480/a17f1il2.jpg

Howard didn't put out that CD. It was some band that had appeared a few times on the show. It was your basic bar-band type of music, with goofy lyrics, so that they would get played on the show.

-jason

nodeerforamonth
12-31-07, 12:55 PM
I managed to listen to most of it and it really is strange how his voice has changed.

It may be because they may have sped up the tapes a little to save on space when archiving.