Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else done with Man Vs. Wild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else done with Man Vs. Wild?

I used to love this show, but the new format is just horrible. I think I'm done with this unless it goes back to the old way. The things that irritate me the most are that the show is so over-produced and the annoying 'Hollywood' music during the 'action' scenes drives me crazy. I swear at one point I thought I was hearing the music from The Contender. For those of you who have been fans of this show, do you feel the same way or do you prefer the new format?

Anyway, please post here if it someday goes back to the way it once was. Thanks.
Old 12-17-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just glad it’s back on. Although I would prefer the old format if I could go back to believing it was real (I also wish I still believed in Santa Claus), I like this better because I don't have to constantly question its authenticity.
Old 12-17-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,087 Posts
I used to watch Man vs. Wild then during the off season I started watching reruns of Survivorman...Yeah, I'm off Man vs. Wild
Old 12-19-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i still enjoy the show. the new format doesn't bother me but it seems alot easier than it did before. bear just spends a few hours somewhere and that's it it seems like to me now. oh well.
Old 12-19-07, 07:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
no it's still great.
Old 12-19-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saoirse
I used to love this show, but the new format is just horrible. I think I'm done with this unless it goes back to the old way. The things that irritate me the most are that the show is so over-produced and the annoying 'Hollywood' music during the 'action' scenes drives me crazy. I swear at one point I thought I was hearing the music from The Contender. For those of you who have been fans of this show, do you feel the same way or do you prefer the new format?

Anyway, please post here if it someday goes back to the way it once was. Thanks.

Its never going to go back to the way it was, and I love the new format.
Old 12-20-07, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
The only part I've enjoyed this season was when he climbed inside that camel. I don't like the new format, seems like they took the easy way out after the controversy.
Old 12-20-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the "new format"?

I still like it; I think it blows away Survivornerd.
Old 12-20-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
survivorman is more realistic as far as survival.
Man vs Wild now is just a tutorial show. I can't really trust that he's out there surviving all that when there's a camera crew, and he has a fint to start a fire. I'm pretty sure he gets a change of clothes after he does those quick sand demos- whihc are like one per episode.
Old 12-20-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mmconhea
survivorman is more realistic as far as survival.
Man vs Wild now is just a tutorial show. I can't really trust that he's out there surviving all that when there's a camera crew, and he has a fint to start a fire. I'm pretty sure he gets a change of clothes after he does those quick sand demos- whihc are like one per episode.
It's worse than you think. "Out there" means about a hundred yards from a road with hotel reservations for the night.

American survival consultant Mark Weinert, who was recruited by Diverse Productions, told the paper Grylls claimed to be stranded on a desert island on one occasion.

He often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up. However, he was actually in Hawaii and spent some of his time there in a motel, Mr Weinert alleged.

Another time, he added, Grylls was filmed building a raft by himself, whereas the crew had actually put it together and dismantled it beforehand, to ensure that it worked.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UpSlpvb1is&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UpSlpvb1is&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Channel 4, which produces the series, was apparently quite embarrassed by these revelations, so the delay with this season and the changes to the show are probably an attempt to make clear that this isn't real like Survivorman.

Last edited by Sean O'Hara; 12-20-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-21-07, 10:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I still kind of watch it.

But I don't beleive anything that is going on. I'm sure when they say cut - he changes his cloths, jumps in an air conditioned or heated Jeep and off he goes.
Old 12-21-07, 12:12 PM

At least I get to enjoy Last One Standing. Damn, that's a great show. Anyone else watch that?
Old 12-21-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a big fan of the survival-type shows, fake, lame, or not. So I'm still watching. Bear is a likable guy, but he does play up situations although tour guides do that and I think that's basically what Bear is.
Old 12-25-07, 06:53 AM
Banned

..Well I like it.......Bear is good at showing you what to do in certain situations (some of them very specific) and if they have to 'set up' those situations to show people
Old 12-25-07, 11:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
I still like it too. There's no denying Bear's done some amazing things, so if they have to set up a few things up for TV I'm fine w/it.
Old 12-25-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still watching, it's just entertainment to me. I doubt I'll ever have to crawl into a camel to survive a sandstorm but it's not a bad tidbit to know.

I'd rather watch Bear's set up situations instead of Les whining about food.
Old 12-25-07, 06:20 PM
Suspended

He's a fraud. I don't watch television, but when I did, I watched Survivorman.

E
Old 12-26-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I still prefer it over survivorman because I hate hearing Les whine about his camera equipment, but I also hate the new format.

Go back to the old and just tell me it is generally fake. I'm okay with that. I just want to be entertained.
Old 12-26-07, 01:08 PM
Suspended

American Idol, imo.

E
Old 12-26-07, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I still prefer it over survivorman because I hate hearing Les whine about his camera equipment, but I also hate the new format.

Go back to the old and just tell me it is generally fake. I'm okay with that. I just want to be entertained.
Exactly. So he may not have been alone or slept overnight, but he did do a lot of 'survival' things as well as fun sicko things with eating uncooked strangeness and squeezing the juice out of a big pile of crap. Now that was entertainment.