Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dan Fogelberg RIP

Old 12-16-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan Fogelberg RIP

NEW YORK - Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer. He was 56.

His death was announced Sunday in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and was also posted on the singer's Web site.

"Dan left us this morning at 6:00 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," it read. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."

Fogelberg was found in 2004 to have advanced prostate cancer. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart."

Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn't rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like "Same Old Lang Syne" — in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays — became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.

Fogelberg's heydey was in the 1970s and early 80s, when he scored several platinum and multiplatinum records fueled by such hits as "The Power of Gold" and "Leader of the Band," a touching tribute he wrote to his father, a bandleader. Fogelberg put out his first album in 1972.

Fogelberg's songs tended to have a weighty tone, reflecting on emotional issues in a serious way. But in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in 1997, he said it did not represent his personality.

"That came from my singles in the early '80s," he reflects. "I think it probably really started on the radio. I'm not a dour person in the least. I'm actually kind of a happy person. Music doesn't really reflect the whole person.

"One of my dearest friends is Jimmy Buffett. From his music, people have this perception that he's up all the time, and, of course, he's not. Jimmy has a serious side, too."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/...obit_fogelberg
Old 12-16-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Sad to hear.

I know his mellow style of music isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I enjoy some of his stuff and thought he was a very talented musician.
Old 12-16-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I know his mellow style of music isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I enjoy some of his stuff and thought he was a very talented musician.
Yeah, I always thought it sucked that he would get lumped in there with the likes of Michael Bolton.

I didn't own every one of his albums but I always had his greatest hits at my sides along with a couple of others.

I loved listening to his stuff as a moody melancholy wanna-be romantic teenager even though his stuff was at least 7 years or older at that time.

He had 11 Top 40 Hits, 4 Top Tens and the highest chart topper was "Longer" which reached #2. You may not recognize some of the titles but if you would probably know several if you heard them.

"Part of the Plan" - #31 (1975)
"The Power of Gold" - #24 (1978)
"Longer" - #2 (1980)
"Heart Hotels" - #21 (1980)
"Same Old Lang Syne" - #9 (1980)
"Hard To Say" - #7 (1981)
"Leader Of The Band" - #9 (1981)
"Run For The Roses" - #18 (1982)
"Missing You" - #23 (1982)
"Make Love Stay" - #29 (1983)
"The Language of Love" - #13 (1984)

One of my favorites of his that still gets a good bit of radio play on easy listening stations but I guess never hit the Top 40 was "Lonely In Love" from 1987. Fantastic song.

From the list above, several are truly classics in my opinion so at least he won't be completely forgotten. "Same Old Lang Syne" will be the one that keeps him around forever.

Damn this makes me sad.

What I loved about his music was his simple lyrics. They told a story thru very simple poetry but never seemed to completely dumb it down, especially in his early years (I guess with the exception of "Longer"...but it is still a better song than most of the ones that copy its style).

The way "Same Old Lang Syne," "Leader Of The Band," "Heart Hotels" and "Hard To Say" just flowed...those songs just always spoke to me...and you can sing the shit out of them in your car.

Hadn't heard about him in quite awhile. I always wondered if he had just given up music in the last several years.
Old 12-16-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Wow - As someone just 16 years younger than Fogelberg it really hits home how old 56 ISN'T. Very sad.

I have never been a fan, but he was good at what he did, and I've always had respect for guys like that - if you're good at what you do and you stick with it, then more power to you!
Old 12-16-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Never heard his 80s stuff but Part Of The Plan and Power Of Gold got heavy airplay on FM rock stations at the time. I always thought of him in The Eagles/Crosby, Stills, Nash category.
Old 12-16-07, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RIP, Dan.
Just heard "Same Old Lang Syne" on the radio Thursday or Friday last week while at work, and thought, "Man, I haven't heard that one in years"...
Old 12-16-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mom and uncle were both big fans of his, so I grew up hearing a lot of his music back in the 80s. Sad to hear.
Old 12-16-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big fan. Saw him in concert in the mid 70's a couple of times in Tampa. That is a shocker. He will certainly be missed.
Old 12-16-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Sad news indeeed.

People mostly know him for his mellower music, but if you check out songs like "Face The Fire" from the 'Phoenix' album, you'll see that he can also rock out a bit. This one features Joe Walsh doing a searing slide guitar solo throughout the tune. The title track also rocks a bit, in the vein of Fleetwood Mac.

R.I.P.
Old 12-16-07, 10:29 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through
My instrument
And his song is in my soul --
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
Im just a living legacy
To the leader of the band.

Old 12-16-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't know a whole lot about him, but I remember hearing "Longer" back when I was a kid, and just a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I got nostalgic to hear it again, so I found it on YouTube, and put it in my favorites:

Pretty song. RIP Dan.
Old 12-16-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
"We drank a toast to innocence...."
Old 12-17-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIP

growing up and living in Kentucky, "Run For The Roses" is always a seasonal hit here in time for the Derby. From what I've seen and read, he seemed like a great guy and I especially feel bad for his wife since they just got married about five years ago. Leader Of The Band, Longer, Part Of The Plan, Missing You, Nether Lands, etc... all classics
Old 12-17-07, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's something I found on His website:

A personal letter from D.F.

I cannot adequately express my gratitude to all of the thousands of wonderful people who have sent such incredibly moving and supportive e-mails via the Living Legacy web site. It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. Each one of you who have taken the time and effort to reach out to Jean and I have helped immeasurably to uplift our spirits and keep us looking strongly forward during some very rough moments. I thank you from the very depths of my heart.

I currently have no plans to return to the concert stage or the recording studio in the foreseeable future, but who knows? At least for now, I prefer to keep my options open.

Again my deepest thanks and love to all,

Dan

We Love you, D.

-Paul & Treesa

Last edited by The Edit King; 12-17-07 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had forgotten that I enjoyed his music in the late 70's and saw him perform live one time. Phoenix was pretty popular way back.

RIP
Old 12-17-07, 05:47 AM

Sad to hear for a great musician pass away. I'll play a song or two of his in my Ipod/Cd player.
Old 12-17-07, 08:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
I didn't know a whole lot about him, but I remember hearing "Longer" back when I was a kid, and just a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I got nostalgic to hear it again, so I found it on YouTube, and put it in my favorites:

Pretty song. RIP Dan.
'Longer' was my favourite as well.
Old 12-17-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have this CD

I love Longer, Leader of the Band, Make Love Stay, and Same Auld Lang Syne.
Old 12-17-07, 03:36 PM

56 sure isnt young but it aint old either. rip
Old 12-18-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man what's sad about his age is my mother was 56 when she died in 1991.
It's like that old saying that only the good die young!!
Old 12-18-07, 05:43 PM

Very sad news indeed. I was just listening to Souvenirs and Captured Angel over the weekend, and didn't even know of this till today. I regret being a fan of his since the 70s, and never having the opportunity to see him live.