Reload this Page >

Question for people that catalogue their collections

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-15-07, 12:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, lurker finally jumping into the fray. I tried to look into the answer for this but didn't find it.

For people that use sites like DVDspot, when you're adding a box set do you just do the box set, or do you do the titles individually?

I'm finally getting around to adding my collection online and I'm a bit lost on this part.

Sorry if this has been addressed a million times, but if someone could give me some suggestions I would appreciate that.
Old 12-15-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I display it on my shelf as a box set, then that's the way I add it...for example, the Alien Quadrilogy is in there as just that...not the separate movies.
Old 12-15-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by poster mayhem
Sorry if this has been addressed a million times, but if someone could give me some suggestions I would appreciate that.
Not a million times but a few

I pretty much do the same as Sabrett. If the "boxset" is just a box that houses individual movies that can be purchased separately, I'll put them in by themselves. Sets like Quadrilogy, Matrix Ultimate and the upcoming Blade Runner set, goes in as the set.
Old 12-15-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
With stupid stuff like a 2 pack, I usually throw the box away. Like the Happy Gilmore / Billy Madison 2 pack, they were just 2 keepcases inside so I threw the box away. Same thing with American Pie / American Pie 2. In that case I list them as individual titles. But if they are big box sets (i.e. Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, Alien Quadrilogy) then they are added as box sets.
Old 12-15-07, 01:25 PM

I add it as a boxset but I wish DVDSpot would allow me to display ALL the movies in one long list that I could print out.
Old 12-15-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I only count box sets that are all-inclusive or have special packaging, like the Alien Quadrilogy. For most everything else, like the Indiana Jones set or Rocky films, I add just the individual titles. That way my year count, actor/director stats and ease of viewing/rating aren't affected by having one singular box in my collection. But it's all subjective.
Old 12-15-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll add them individually if they are also sold separately from the box set. I'll add them as one set if they are not, such as in the case of slimpacks.
Old 12-15-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
If I display it on my shelf as a box set, then that's the way I add it...for example, the Alien Quadrilogy is in there as just that...not the separate movies.
Same for me.
Old 12-15-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If there are listings available of the individual films within a boxset I will list them individually. If none are available I will list the boxset as one unit.

For instance, on DVDAficianado the boxset as a whole unit is only available for the 'Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara' set. However on Intervocative the individual films are available by disc ID, so I broke it out.

I could care less about padding my collection, I just prefer to have as much film information for reference within the catalog.
Old 12-15-07, 04:16 PM

If you have a box set with its personal UPC it's reasonable to add the box imho. Besides DVDSpot counts both DVDs and movies in you collection. For example it says I have about 400 DVDs, but around 500 films.
Old 12-15-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use DVDAF and if I have a boxset I add it as the boxset. It keeps track of titles vs number of dvds.
Old 12-15-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Box sets on DVDAF, individual titles on DVD Spot. This way my DVD Spot statistics are closer to actuality.
Old 12-15-07, 04:34 PM

An example of one of my collections is those recent Warner 4 themed titles. I got the Stallone and Seagal sets, If I did a title search for Tango & Cash or Under Siege on my DVDSpot page it would show the set. The titles are listed on the sets near the bottom of the page.
Old 12-15-07, 04:43 PM

If I can add them separately, then I will. I do this because when I add it as watched, I don't always watch the others in the set.
Old 12-15-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by advdfreak
If I can add them separately, then I will. I do this because when I add it as watched, I don't always watch the others in the set.
Same here, except I do it for the additional reason that I prefer to sort my titles by the year of their theatrical release, and boxsets throw that off.
Old 12-15-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enter box sets in individually because I like to see a more accurate actor/director count.
Old 12-15-07, 05:38 PM
Suspended

it's case by case with me

but dvdspot does keep track of individual titles within the boxes for your statistics

a good feature add would be a notation/link above each set to the individual title(s)' release that corresponds for quick access
Old 12-15-07, 06:10 PM

I use DVDprofiler and add the boxset, and then the individual titles under that. As long as the set contains separate movies (as opposed to episodes of a TV series), I will put the individual titles under that set - even if the set is like Quadrilogy and really has no separate UPCs. in that case, I just attach the 2-disc SE as members of the box set.

In cases where there is a multi-movie set but the titles are not available individually, this gets a little more complicated. (e.g. WC Fields collections). Here, I actually create my own titles, using poster art for the disc cover. A lot of work, but I use DVDProfiler exclusively to keep track of what I haven't seen, and what I really didn't like and will sell, so it's worth the effort.

Too many movies to see. If I didn't do all of this, I am sure I would end up missing watching some great stuff I have!
Old 12-15-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
With stupid stuff like a 2 pack, I usually throw the box away. Like the Happy Gilmore / Billy Madison 2 pack, they were just 2 keepcases inside so I threw the box away. Same thing with American Pie / American Pie 2. In that case I list them as individual titles. But if they are big box sets (i.e. Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, Alien Quadrilogy) then they are added as box sets.

See, I would separate stuff packed together for purely marketing reasons, like Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison. But a distinct series like Alien Quad or American Pie would belong together in my mind, and esp something like a big Hitchcock collection where it's separate movies, but put together because the director is such a big name himself.

Just seems easier to throw a boxset into the database if there's already a listing for it, then bother with figuring out all the individual titles.

I do use the folders in DVDAf to put together collections, like Kevin Smith, Godzilla, Star Trek, etc.
Old 12-15-07, 08:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
I enter them as boxsets.

Different question for everyone: What do you all do about movies that you have from your DVR then burned onto DVD?

I'd like to list them in DVDspot so that I don't buy the DVD someday. I'm thinking that adding them and putting them all in a filter is the only option with DVDspot.
Old 12-15-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I enter them as boxsets.

Different question for everyone: What do you all do about movies that you have from your DVR then burned onto DVD?

I'd like to list them in DVDspot so that I don't buy the DVD someday. I'm thinking that adding them and putting them all in a filter is the only option with DVDspot.

I only add actual DVDs I buy, nothing I burn.
Old 12-15-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by advdfreak
This is actual a good reason to do it this way. Or when I loan something out (rarely) if they don't take the whole collection.
Old 12-15-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enter the box set, not the individual titles. I'm at a number in my collection that I like to block out as much as possible

I track by purchase and if that purchase happens to be a box set, that's how I enter it into DVDProfiler.
Old 12-16-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparrow
I enter the box set, not the individual titles. I'm at a number in my collection that I like to block out as much as possible

I track by purchase and if that purchase happens to be a box set, that's how I enter it into DVDProfiler.
I'm the same way. Thought DVDProfiler is sometimes a little wierd. Tried to add the Dirty Harry collection when I got it, but there wasnt a lsiting. so I had to add the individual titles. The old Superman boxset, with the four snapper cases and the outer silver box went in as a collection, but ended up showing up in the collection as Superman the movie, with the other three branched out of it.
Old 12-16-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I enter them as boxsets.

I don't use DVDspot but I use Movie Collector software and it let's me pick the format, so I added a DVD-R format.

To answer the OP's question, I do individual titles but with what I use, there is a box set section, so everything gets done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.