Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is this possible? -- Question about how some movies are reviewed/rated...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How is this possible? -- Question about how some movies are reviewed/rated...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this possible? Am I missing something? Aeon Flux

I watched Aeon Flux tonight for the first time. I really enjoyed it and thought there was never a dull moment. I also enjoyed the subtle/not-so-subtle political arguments in it. I go to check the reviews on here and it's panned. I usually agrees with the reviews on here so then I figured I'd cross-check the reviews with some movies I thought were horrible.

Superbad is "Highly Recommended" across the board.

WTF?!

One of the reviews for Aeon Flux was essentially "I don't get it" so they tried to lump it in as an action movie that relied on special effects. The others were more of the same just not stated so obviously. If you can't understand/remember all the parts of a story being told then you have no right to comment on whether or not it is cohesive.

You wanna call a movie bad, sure. That's your opinion. However, when you turn around and call a myspace-come-to-life utter waste of two hours built on the premise toilet humor a blowaway movie, it's beyond absurd.

EDIT: Thanks for the move. I clicked on the forum above this one instead.

Last edited by Davo1224; 12-14-07 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, Aeon Flux was not so great. Superbad is slightly overrated. I'm sure I will be attacked for that one. I'm sorry in advance.
Old 12-14-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong forum.
Old 12-14-07, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
All the guys I know under 25 loved Superbad, myself included. All the over 30's of which I don't know many hated it.

I don't know how old you are but you seem to have hit that old man stage, not that that is necessarily a bad thing, now you'll enjoy all of those Criterion Collection movies you used to find boring. <--At least that seems to be the trend I notice.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 12-14-07 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah these long-drawn out comedies I dont get like Superbad / Knocked Up. Although there were funny moments in both of them, IMO they were both wayyy too long and dragged.
Old 12-14-07, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I don't know how old you are but you seem to have hit that old man stage, not that that is necessarily a bad thing, now you'll enjoy all of those Criterion Collection movies you used to find boring. <--At least that seems to be the trend I notice.
I own a few Criterions and Superbad, where do I fit in?
Old 12-14-07, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Right, because older men dig Aeon Flux?
Old 12-14-07, 04:58 AM

aeon flux and criterion. a match made in heaven.
Old 12-14-07, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aeon Flux a good movie? If this movie is entertaining, then what do you consider a boring film?
Old 12-14-07, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't worry about what other people think. All that matters is if you like it or not. Take The Fifth Element for example. I love the film, but there are those crazies out there who think it's crap.

By the way, move to MOVIE forum...
Old 12-14-07, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Davo1224
You wanna call a movie bad, sure. That's your opinion. However, when you turn around and call a myspace-come-to-life utter waste of two hours built on the premise toilet humor a blowaway movie, it's beyond absurd.
No, it's also an opinion. It's just one that differs from yours.

You've got a lot of balls asking "How is this possible?" just because someone disagrees with you.

And I disagree with the age excuse for "Superbad." My friends and I all range from 35-45 and we all loved it.
Old 12-14-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
"I usually agrees"

Well in this case you didn't agree. People like different things, that is how it is possible.
Old 12-14-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ravid
I own a few Criterions and Superbad, where do I fit in?
Go directly to hell-->

Really though, people can like/hate whatever the hell they want. I know quite a few members here hate Forrest Gump, but I love it. My only problem is that people sometimes get confused between a bad movie and a movie they dislike. Just because the movie doesn't fulfill your enjoyment, it doesn't mean it's a bad film.
Old 12-14-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superbad was super bad
Old 12-14-07, 10:35 AM

I also find it incredible that people can like movies that I don't enjoy. Or equally as bad dislike movies I really enjoy. In future I'm planning on letting everyone know which movies I like/dislike and then woebetide anyone who dares to have a different opinion.
Old 12-14-07, 11:51 AM

The issue wasn't that people had a differing opinion. I just didn't understand why I had the complete opposite opinion as compared to a bunch of different people. I was wondering if I missed something or if there were any better reasons as to why AF was panned/SB was heralded.
Old 12-15-07, 06:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Everyone has opinions that go against the popular tide. I do have to ask, though, have you seen the original Aeon Flux TV show?
Old 12-15-07, 07:35 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Davo1224
I just didn't understand why I had the complete opposite opinion as compared to a bunch of different people.
Dave, having a "complete opposite opinion" is not a bad thing. Each of us are individuals and bring something unique to the world. I haven't seen either of the movies you mention but I'd be curious to read what you really liked about the one and hated about the other.

PS: I liked Forest Gump and The Fifth Element a lot myself but it doesn't mean those that panned either are stupid, dumb, or illiterate; they just have different tastes...
Old 12-15-07, 07:46 AM

Most reviews are going to be affected by the reviewer's likes and dislikes going into the review. The best reviewers try to supress these and do their best to provide as unbiased an opinion as they can. But some likes and dislikes may be subconsious so it can be difficult at times.

So you are going to get different opinions on the same movie, show, etc... An example is Shrek the Third. In the reviews section here there is Recommended and Rent It for the same DVD. So which is it? Well it's both.
Depends on your likes and dislikes. Not everyone is the same.

I always take reviews with a grain of salt. If all the reviews say "skip it" for example, it probably is a crummy movie. If they all say "Highly Recommended, for another example, then it's probably good. You notice I said "probably" as your likes and dislikes may not be in the same stream as the many reviewers.

When I see a variety of reviews (from Highly Recommended to Skip It) I just look for the snippits of info in each one that I can use, based on my likes and dislikes, to make a decision. In my case, for example, - lots of action = good. lots of musical numbers = bad. That sort of thing.

I like the reviews section here as there can be multiple reviews of the same DVD so you can get different opinions, info, etc... Most review places just have one review. I think it is one of the many reasons that make DVDTALK stand out over the others.

James
Old 12-15-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
Most reviews are going to be affected by the reviewer's likes and dislikes going into the review. The best reviewers try to supress these and do their best to provide as unbiased an opinion as they can. But some likes and dislikes may be subconsious so it can be difficult at times.
I totally disagree with this, but I don't want that whole "biased/unbiased" thing to start up again from a couple of months ago. That went on forever.
Old 12-15-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
I must break out the old Review-Right 2000, the movie reviewing software that evaluates movies solely based on algorithms that take into account verifiable quantitative evidence. It has a 25% accuracy rating, but it's getting better! It has a few extra functions, and when I keyed in some data from this thread this is the verdict it rendered:

SuperBad > Aeon Flux
Rhianna > Radiohead
A Is For Alibi > To Kill a Mockingbird
Apples > Oranges

The Review-Right is never wrong!
Old 12-15-07, 12:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm over 25 and liked Superbad.

I regarded Aeon Flux as eye candy, somewhat thin on plot and not on a par with Logan's Run (1976).
Old 12-15-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tend to think my opinion on movies goes unbiased, with that, I did not enjoy Aeon Flux very much, good action and such but no plot. Superbad on the other hand, was definitely a favorite.
Old 12-15-07, 03:33 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
People like different things, that is how it is possible.
DING! I think we have a winner.
Old 12-15-07, 05:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
I must break out the old Review-Right 2000, the movie reviewing software that evaluates movies solely based on algorithms that take into account verifiable quantitative evidence. It has a 25% accuracy rating, but it's getting better! It has a few extra functions, and when I keyed in some data from this thread this is the verdict it rendered:

SuperBad > Aeon Flux
Rhianna > Radiohead
A Is For Alibi > To Kill a Mockingbird
Apples > Oranges

The Review-Right is never wrong!
60% of the time this baby works...every time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.