Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a Widescreen HSM2?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-12-07, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a stu-ped ?, but I just got back from wal-mart and all the copies of High School Musical 2 were FULL SCREEN!!! WTF! Please tell me that my Wal-mart sucks.......and that I am not gona be force to watch a full screen movie on my wide-screen tv!!!!!

Thanks-a-bunch......
Old 12-12-07, 08:50 PM

the dvd is foolscreen only, but the blu-ray is in widescreen......WTF disney
Old 12-12-07, 10:11 PM

it is a tv progra, and was likely shot in FS. They might have to stretch it for blu ray. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And this is in the bargain thread because?......
Old 12-12-07, 10:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by amd555
it is a tv progra, and was likely shot in FS. They might have to stretch it for blu ray. Just a thought.
Nope, it was shot in widescreen HD. I saw that when DirecTV aired the movie back when it first came out. Plus, I really doubt they'd release something filmed in FS on Blu-ray.
Old 12-12-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KHook321
Plus, I really doubt they'd release something filmed in FS on Blu-ray.

Are you serious?
Old 12-13-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
From the look of it, I wonder if it was shot in Full Screen and then matted for widescreen... I noticed that there was quite a bit of space during some scenes on the top and bottom.
Old 12-13-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by amd555
Going to HD formats does not mean we abandon OAR. Anything that is 4:3 can and should still be 4:3 in HD.

Anyway, from the review:

The film is presented in a 1.33:1 full screen format, maintaining its original standard TV broadcast. "HSM 2" was filmed in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio for hi-def viewing yet was framed for standard screens, so both viewing formats appear to be "correct." No cropping of any kind is evident here, and I wouldn't call this a pan-and-scan release so much as the Blu-ray version is something of a widescreen open matte.
Old 12-13-07, 04:32 AM

Nope, no widescreen available on DVD just crappy fullscreen which is really not a surprise considering it is Disney. The movie was shot in a aspect ratio of 1.78:1 so go figure
Old 12-13-07, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
The movie was shot in a aspect ratio of 1.78:1 so go figure
But, as was written above, it was framed for 4:3.
Old 12-13-07, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
But, as was written above, it was framed for 4:3.
And? All that means is the 4x3 is not P&S. 4x3 is still not the OAR.

This is nothing more that Disney figuring the average SD customer wants 4x3 and the average BR customer would never buy a 4x3 BR title filmed in WS. Sadly they are right about the typical average foolscreen SD audience.
Old 12-13-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even if HSM2 (can't believe I actually clicked on this thread) had been released in widescreen, Wal*Mart would most likely have all fool screen copies. They love the full screen at Wal*Mart, and that's because the demographic at Wal*Mart are the "why isn't the picture filling my whole screen?!" folks.

I don't think 10 year olds really care whether it's in full screen or widescreen, also.
Old 12-13-07, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nateman241
Even if HSM2 (can't believe I actually clicked on this thread) had been released in widescreen, Wal*Mart would most likely have all fool screen copies. They love the full screen at Wal*Mart, and that's because the demographic at Wal*Mart are the "why isn't the picture filling my whole screen?!" folks.

I don't think 10 year olds really care whether it's in full screen or widescreen, also.
Disney could have easily put both versions in the same package. It's not like the disc is packed with special fearues and there's no room.
Old 12-13-07, 10:21 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by cardaway
4x3 is still not the OAR.
Actually, it is. It was premiered as 4x3 for standard TV viewing. A 16x9 version came later for HD viewing. If you want to get technical, 4x3 is the original ratio.

I'd say both are correct, since the director shot the film with both formats in mind.
Old 12-13-07, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by David Cornelius
Actually, it is. It was premiered as 4x3 for standard TV viewing. A 16x9 version came later for HD viewing. If you want to get technical, 4x3 is the original ratio.

I'd say both are correct, since the director shot the film with both formats in mind.
No such thing as something coming later... can't add what isn't there.
It's there for the BR version because that IS the OAR.

The foolscreen 4x3 showed on the Disney Channel is just that, the dumbed down, basic cable, TV version. If there was a HD Disney channel I'm sure they would have shown the 16x9 that's on the BR disc.

Makes me wonder if the original was also shot in 16x9 and it will someday make a 16x9 appearance as well.
Old 12-13-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No such thing as something coming later... can't add what isn't there.
It's there for the BR version because that IS the OAR.

The foolscreen 4x3 showed on the Disney Channel is just that, the dumbed down, basic cable, TV version. If there was a HD Disney channel I'm sure they would have shown the 16x9 that's on the BR disc.

Makes me wonder if the original was also shot in 16x9 and it will someday make a 16x9 appearance as well.
The film was shot for television. This is a TV movie. Therefore the TV version is the true premiere of the movie and therefore the TV aspect-ratio is the correct, original aspect ratio. Just as one would say about an FS film that was being shown on DVD "open-matte" just because there is more to see doesn't mean you're supposed to be seeing it.

Theoretically, the 1.78:1 ratio designed for the Blu-Ray version is intended, obviously, to create the same effect as the FS version is for standard TVs in that it will fill the entire frame without any black bars. It's ironic that the WS version that people are in a fuss over is really sort of designed to ape the full-screen version, just for people who have HDTVs.
Old 12-13-07, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Theoretically, the 1.78:1 ratio designed for the Blu-Ray version is intended, obviously, to create the same effect as the FS version is for standard TVs in that it will fill the entire frame without any black bars. It's ironic that the WS version that people are in a fuss over is really sort of designed to ape the full-screen version, just for people who have HDTVs.

But the rub is that intent for the BR makes the 16x9 the intended version whether they cut it down for standard 4x3 TV or not. Additionally, there will be more "made for TV movies" that will made to be shown on both HD and convnetional 4x3 TV's.

IMO the correct call here, until 4x3 is totally gone, is the HD (16x9) verison is the OAR. Otherise, most of the primetime TV we watch these days also do not have a 16x9 OAR since they are filmed with 4x3 in mind. In fact, in this case, that extra area is not likely dead space. You likely get more of the performances and backgrounds in the 16x9 HSM2.

Lastly, people were upset that other TV releases (that were shot in 16x9) were released in 4x3. People did not accept that 4x3 was the OAR because they were broadcast in 4x3. They wanted the ORIGINAL 16x9.

Last edited by cardaway; 12-13-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
Nope, no widescreen available on DVD just crappy fullscreen which is really not a surprise considering it is Disney.
I'm not postive but I think Disney releases all of their dvd's in "family friendly OAR". They seem to be doing the same here as the SD version shown on SD tv was 4:3 and the HD version shown on HDTV was widescreen. Therefore, SD dvd = 4:3 and the BRD = 16x9.
Old 12-13-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But the rub is that intent for the BR makes the 16x9 the intended version..
Wow. Just.. wow.

You're deducing this from.. what, again?
Old 12-13-07, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wow. Just.. wow.

You're deducing this from.. what, again?
Probably the same place you are getting your opinion, but without your rudness.

Last edited by cardaway; 12-13-07 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, there are plenty of couter-examples to this. Plenty of "widescreen" movies that are shown open matte on SD. Does that mean that they were intended to be 4x3 the entire time because they were going to SD?
Old 12-13-07, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amel
I'm not postive but I think Disney releases all of their dvd's in "family friendly OAR". They seem to be doing the same here as the SD version shown on SD tv was 4:3 and the HD version shown on HDTV was widescreen. Therefore, SD dvd = 4:3 and the BRD = 16x9.
Looks like you're one of the folks that accepts there are two now two "OAR's". IMO two things can't be the "original" aspect ratio.

It's not like I'm looking to buy HSM2, but personally I am concerned that Disney (and it would appear many others) think it's acceptable to release something clearly filmed in HD 16x9 in cropped 4x3 simply because that's where they broadcast it first. What if it had premiered in HD on ABC during primetime? (which IMO would have been a better idea)
Old 12-13-07, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
You know, there are plenty of couter-examples to this. Plenty of "widescreen" movies that are shown open matte on SD. Does that mean that they were intended to be 4x3 the entire time because they were going to SD?
There are plenty of Kubrick fans who think so. But IMO that is different since the alternative release (4x3) gets you more of what was filmed. This example results in less.
Old 12-13-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts
I am of the belief that in this case, EITHER version is "correct". They shot it in advance knowing it would be shown both ways, and it premiered in 4x3 and then in HD 16x9. Either one "works" Both are "correct".

BTW, I hate it when people throw around "Foolscreen" like it's some insult to anyone that buys 4x3. I have been a OAR fan since Laserdisc was around, but don't assume that just because it's 4x3 it's somehow stupid or incorrect. In this case it's fine. I'm sure they filmed it KNOWING it would be shown both ways and made the choice to frame it accordingly.
Old 12-13-07, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I am of the belief that in this case, EITHER version is "correct". They shot it in advance knowing it would be shown both ways, and it premiered in 4x3 and then in HD 16x9. Either one "works" Both are "correct".
My issue with that idea is that many primetime TV's shows are shot in the same way. Do have the same opinion about them? Should all the shows on Fox be released on 4x3 because their shows are broadcast in 4x3 in many places and are filmed with that in mind. Personally I'm happy that Prison Break, 24 and the like are release don DVD in 16x9.

BTW, I hate it when people throw around "Foolscreen" like it's some insult to anyone that buys 4x3. I have been a OAR fan since Laserdisc was around, but don't assume that just because it's 4x3 it's somehow stupid or incorrect. In this case it's fine. I'm sure they filmed it KNOWING it would be shown both ways and made the choice to frame it accordingly.
I'm cool with the term as long as there are people shopping at Wal-Mart thinking they are getting more of a movie because it fills more of their 19" TV screen. I actually had that discussion with somebody who thought I was crazy to be looking for the one widesreen slot (yes only one widescreen slot) of a movie on one of those cardboard stands they put in the front of the store.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.