Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Games w unique controllers in the future?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 11:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were talking about how games like Rockband & Guitar Hero were doing so well despite needing their own controller to play. They speculated that more games would come out with their own 'controller requirements' like it was an emerging trend. It made me think about how peoples biggest complaint with FPS was that they didnt use a mouse/keyboard. Do you think there will be a type of FPS game to come out in the future that will have its own kind of controller that will do better to bring console FPS and Computer FPS games together? Not saying an actual keyboard and mouse but something similar that everyone would use?
Old 12-12-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think so. I think the rhythm games are kind of unique in requiring a peripheral and maintaining its usefulness (through yearly updates). Stuff like the GunCon 3 and PlayStation Eye will still remain niche products and minimally supported.
Old 12-12-07, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Rock Band is doing well? In the last weekly sales thread it didn't even crack the top 10. Other than that, I think you've raised some good discussion points.
Old 12-12-07, 11:31 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im surprised what ive heard about 'scene it' on this board (not sure about actual sales) but it seems like developers are feeling more willing to introduce other input devices if they think it will add to gameplay.
Old 12-12-07, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally i would love to see the power glove come back. with technology nowadays they could make it 10x better
Old 12-12-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Im surprised what ive heard about 'scene it' on this board (not sure about actual sales) but it seems like developers are feeling more willing to introduce other input devices if they think it will add to gameplay.
Scene It is less about that, and more about getting more casual gamers to buy games, and the current 'party game' trend.
Old 12-12-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In my opinion, I think the "unique" controller would be cost too much and waste money.

As for FPS, mouse/keyboard are already designed perfectly for FPS. There's many designs that are bit different from mouse/keyboard, but they didn't take off very well. People rather buy cheaper method to use to play the game. XBox 360 should design to make universal mouse/keyboard to work on 360 - well, keyboard is already able to work on 360, but not mouse.
Old 12-12-07, 11:44 AM

I am not sure if a gimmick like that would work. How many times have they tried already? I think the appeal for the music games out now is that everyone wants to be a rock star.

Before that they had the Mech game for the Xbox that needed that huge control station with the pedals and everything and that did horrid in sales and is hard as hell to play because you have to set up this huge control station and get everything lined up properly before you can even start to play.

Further more lots of fighting games can make use of the joystick controllers but how many people actually buy those things? Only the most hardcore of hardcore which is a small demographic and hardly worth focusing on.

I think the Wiimote is about as crazy as one needs right now. Also in regards to the FPS comment why would they need to make a mouse and keyboard combo when the Wiimote turns in to a gun itself?
Old 12-12-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Most 360 owners don't have 4 controllers, so Scene It!'s built in 4-controllers solves that problem.
Old 12-12-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Rock Band is doing well? In the last weekly sales thread it didn't even crack the top 10. Other than that, I think you've raised some good discussion points.
Rock Band is still selling out, its sales increased week to week from last week, but it was still nearly impossible to find on shelves. Will be interested to see how this week turns out now that it is readily available.

Scene It needed to include the controllers, it needs 3 or 4 players and also needed to justify a full game price tag (I love the game personally and like the controllers).

I love Peripheral devices but I am gathering a few too many, including:

1 x Rock Band set (Guitar, Drums, Mic), 1 x Karaoke Revolution set (Mic), 1 x Taiko Set (Taiko Drum), 1 x Beatmania Set (Uhm, Keyboard/DJ station?), 2 x Pump It Up (Dance mats), 1 x Scene It? LCA set (4 mini pads), 2 x Guitar Hero II sets... and a couple others, always wanted Pop N Music -

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QcKyv0T4b4A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QcKyv0T4b4A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

- and Samba, and lest we forget, Steel Battalion on the Xbox:

I can see more of those being really popular .

Last edited by RichC2; 12-12-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
personally i would love to see the power glove come back. with technology nowadays they could make it 10x better

The Eye can easily do that... however, it's too early.
Old 12-12-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-12-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, i really want a controller like a gun for FPS... Okay, it could be some sci-fi designs or something, i don't really care. Basically you move the crosshair and shot with the gun controller. It's a bit like MP3 Corruption i guess.
Old 12-12-07, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Rock Band is still selling out, its sales increased week to week from last week, but it was still nearly impossible to find on shelves. Will be interested to see how this week turns out now that it is readily available.
Not around here. Just yesterday I saw somebody nearly knock over a Rock Band display on their way to grab the last copy of GH3.
Old 12-12-07, 12:22 PM

If I were to guess what the public was thinking, it would be that perhaps Rock Band is a cheap knock-off of Guitar Hero. But ultimately I have no idea. The whole thing baffles me.
Old 12-12-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha bummer, hard to compete with the tried and true. Both are sold out here. That said, they did just restock Rock Band at most places in the last couple days.
Old 12-12-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I've been seeing Rockband everywhere as well, but I think it's selling fine for what it is.
Old 12-12-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I hope this doesn't become a trend. I've been avoiding games with special controllers like the plague since the early days of console gaming.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-12-07 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
It sounds like the times is right for R.O.B. to make a comeback!

All kidding aside, I think there's definitely a limit on how many specialty controllers people want to have lying around.
Old 12-12-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Proud owner of that one, myself. Granted, it the price tag on it was around $300 bucks and I never made it past the first level, but damn, it's a nice conversation piece among the nerds.
Old 12-12-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Personally, i really want a controller like a gun for FPS... Okay, it could be some sci-fi designs or something, i don't really care. Basically you move the crosshair and shot with the gun controller. It's a bit like MP3 Corruption i guess.
I actually saw something like that on display at E3 2 years ago. I forgot what company was making it. Basically it was a big gun, and you would still move it around like a mouse against a pad but the rest of it could aim around. It was kind of neat.

But generally, there have been shit loads of peripherals designed to replace the keyboard/mouse on the PC for shooters. None of them have taken off, although i think the Nostromo pad had some fans.
Old 12-12-07, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.news.com/New-game-control....html?part=dtx

How about the no controller option
Old 12-12-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein

Ugh... I don't want to dance around front of my desktop.
Old 12-12-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm still waiting for a Lightsaber Controller for a future Wii Star Wars game. With that fanbase they could sell multiple designs all day long.
Old 12-12-07, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by nemein

Exactly the reason why I don't play the Wii a lot. When I play a game I want to sit and relax, not thrash around like an epileptic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.