Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bionic Commando Returns!!! (360/PS3/PC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Bionic Commando Returns!!! (360/PS3/PC)

One of my favorite games on the NES. Looks like they changed the haircut, but the feel remains the same:

<embed width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/23h61lfPqYE&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 12-11-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks pretty sweet. The swinging stuff reminded me of Spidey with a mechanical arm.
Old 12-11-07, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my eye on this for a while. Following it as it slowly progresses.
Old 12-11-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I don't own one, this game lends itself to wii play. I guess the complexities of the controller are making a WII release impossible. I can't imagine how tired your arm would be though
Old 12-11-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Graphics look good, but it doesn't look much more than a Spiderman game without the costume.
Old 12-11-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Video already gone. I played the hell out of the original BC.
Old 12-11-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
Video already gone. I played the hell out of the original BC.
It's playing for me...
Old 12-11-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks cool to me. I hope the area is open like that in the Spider-man and Crackdown games, so you can swing around at will.
Old 11-18-10, 04:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Bionic Commando Returns!!! (360/PS3/PC)

i know the reviews have been quite medicore to terriblem but i love all BC.

is this 3D version worth the $9.99 that BB always has it for?

i know it is only $10, but i don't want the game to just sit. anyone have this and can vouch for its low price worthiness?
Old 11-18-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually currently playing this.. on my THIRD run (playing Commando/Very Hard mode).

So yeah, I guess I really like it.. I liked it WAY more than I ever expected to (as I hated just the concept of the game initially). It does have some very rough edges but when the game is on, it's ON. The start of the game in particular is a little tough when your only means of fighting is your pea shooter, but once you regain the arm abilities, shit gets pretty real.

On a side note, when I logged in to Bionic Commando Rearmed to retrieve my passwords for this game, I found out that I'm still in the top ten worldwide (ranked #9).
Old 11-18-10, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'm actually currently playing this.. on my THIRD run (playing Commando/Very Hard mode).

So yeah, I guess I really like it.. I liked it WAY more than I ever expected to (as I hated just the concept of the game initially). It does have some very rough edges but when the game is on, it's ON. The start of the game in particular is a little tough when your only means of fighting is your pea shooter, but once you regain the arm abilities, shit gets pretty real.

On a side note, when I logged in to Bionic Commando Rearmed to retrieve my passwords for this game, I found out that I'm still in the top ten worldwide (ranked #9).
wow. top ten, that is very good. congrats.

how long is the single player campaign itself and have you done the MP?

i know i played the MP bc it was a free demo and thought it was good, but i had no idea how to really control Nathan, but that could be because it takes a little practice to get mechanics down?

it sounds like $10 is worthwhile if i loved Rearmed and all the original NES, Gameboy games...

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-18-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
wow. top ten, that is very good. congrats.

i know i played the MP bc it was a free demo and thought it was good, but i had no idea how to really control Nathan, but that could be because it takes a little practice to get mechanics down?

it sounds like $10 is worthwhile if i loved Rearmed and all the original NES, Gameboy games...
Thanks! It was #1 when I made it and I held that for a lot longer than I expected to.

I'd say the campaign ten hours or so, maybe less.

I have not tried the multi-player mode.

It's definitely worth $10, the challenge system in the game is awesome and addicting.
Old 11-18-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing as how Capcom is putting the angtsy extreme version of Nathan in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is coming out, maybe they haven't completely discounted revisiting the 3D game. A sequel that fixes a few of the design flaws present here would be mind meltingly awesome.

Here's what I would suggest if that ever happened.

1. Balance the damn game better. The enemies are aggressive and deadly accurate to an extreme fault. Sure, your arm abilities are overly powerful but certain combat scenarios (especially any involving fighting two BioMechs at once) you feel more like you are playing against the game's programming over just enemies from a video game.

2. Turn the angst down. My God, the characters and scenario in this game are douche-chillingly embarrassing.

3. If you're going to have collectibles, implement them better. The whole "grab all 150 in a single run of each stage" tick pretty much forces the player into having their hand held with a guide if they want the art gallery/achievement. You can revisit any stage in the game via the menu but it's more like a replay or practice session, progress on collectibles and challenges don't carry. Give more and better rewards (things like costume changes or unlocked difficulties or extra challenges). Have them carry over o new games. I found ~100 on my own the first time around (even though I skipped picking many up). A second game would keep the player's eyes more keen on the few they missed the first time without resorting to a guide.

4. Some enemy variety couldn't hurt, although neither particularly bothered me horribly.

5. 60 frames per second? Okay, so this is basically a fool's dream given current hardware (and new fancy graphics gimmicks next generation will keep us stuck in 30 frames hell next gen too, don't kid yourself) but there are a few spots where frame rate hikes up and it suddenly looks like a brand new, sexy game.

Here's what worked well in the current game.

1. The swinging. My God the swinging is beautifully executed.

2. The soundtrack.

3. The challenge system, basically achievements with in game rewards, dreamy.
Old 11-18-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am also one of the few who actually played it.
i can vouch for the game. it is worth the 10 bucks.
I found some of the swinging sequences to be a bit frustrating, but liked it overall.
Old 11-18-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598

Multiplayer is completely dead. The game is still very worth it for single player.

Also, BC:Rearmed is even better. It should be a must-buy if you liked the old NES game.
Old 11-18-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He already mentioned loving Rearmed.

Be sure to boot that up before playing the new game, you can get three passwords.. one to make Nathan look like the NES character and not the horrible nu-metal creep they turned him into, one for a different default pea shooter and one to unlock a completely useless secret room halfway through the game.
Old 11-18-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Oops, I misread that. The $10 should be a no-brainer then.
Old 11-18-10, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
He already mentioned loving Rearmed.

Be sure to boot that up before playing the new game, you can get three passwords.. one to make Nathan look like the NES character and not the horrible nu-metal creep they turned him into, one for a different default pea shooter and one to unlock a completely useless secret room halfway through the game.
i got the game today and was planning on revisiting Rearmed since i haven't played it since purchase and never completed it. thinking going from an excellent 2D game then to the 3D game would be a nice step.

thanks for comments and pushing over the edge to spend the whopping $10.80!