Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mothers On Sitcoms - Are They Off Limits?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-11-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a guy watching television for over 45 years, I have noticed a pattern in sitcoms and I am sure many of you have noticed it as well.

Women with young children are still usually considered off limits as the target of humor. This also applies to children, but not to the elderly. My guess is that our instincts (both men and women) are to protect women of child bearing years (and children) and sub-consciously we find any derogatory humor towards them distasteful. Or maybe its the implication that if they are bumbling then maybe they are bad primary care givers.

On Home Improvement the writers attempted to make Jill (Tim's Wife) the target of the humor. The resulting complaint letters (mostly from women) forced them to only allow the men to be the brunt of the deprecating humor. Sure they can supply the humor as an insult to someone else (Tim), but usually not be the target. Sorry, I don't have the source, but even if you discount this paragraph the list of shows is rather large.

A couple exceptions that come to mind immediately are Rosanne and I Love Lucy.

Some examples:

Everybody Loves Raymond
Family Matters
Full House
Family Ties
Leave It To Beaver
According To Jim
Dick Van Dyke
Newhart (all incarnations)
Brady Bunch
Family Guy
The Simpsons
What's Happening
Who's the Boss?
The Donna Reed Show
Father Knows Best (no he doesn't)
The Partridge Family
Dennis the Menace
Married With Children

I know it is a controversial point, and certainly not a rule. But there is overwhelming evidences to support the point.
Old 12-11-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not entirely sure what you mean. You're point is very broad. But I can think of a few where the funny was at the mom's expense:

Sex and the City (Miranda)
Absolutely Fabulous (Saffy)
Scrubs (Jordan & Carla)

That's off the top of my head, but I'm certain those defy what I believe is your point.
Old 12-11-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Married With Children?
Old 12-11-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, there was that Simpsons where Marge had a gambling problem.
Old 12-11-07, 09:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
King of the Hill. Peggy has always been less stable/intelligent/anything than Hank.
Old 12-11-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about that Louis CK show, recently canned after a 10+ episode run on Showtime (I think)?
Old 12-11-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
How about that Louis CK show, recently canned after a 10+ episode run on Showtime (I think)?
HBO and it got one whole season (13 eps) as Lucky Louie and is a decent example for this thread IMHO.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-11-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ayre
Some examples:

According To Jim
This show actually rejects both your points, with two mothers as the targets for humor and a young child frequently treated as dim-witted (not childlike, just straight-up stupid). Obviously, Jim is the primary target of the humor, but the show's not called According to the Fat Guy's Sitcom-Typical Hot Wife.

Originally Posted by Ayre
Full House
Newhart (all incarnations)
There aren't any significant mothers on these shows (unless you count Rebecca near the end of Full House or Stephanie from Newhart, who was the butt of countless jokes).

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-11-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 10:40 AM

I'm writing down the username of anybody who's waxing eloquent about According to Jim so I can use your post against you next time you lament the cancellation of a good show.
Old 12-11-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't stop there. According to Jim isn't even close to the bottom of the list of the crap I watch.

das
Old 12-11-07, 11:00 AM

Oh, I'm sure it's better than Torchwood and I've sat through season one of that twice already.
Old 12-11-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I will remove Newhart(not sure what I was thinking) and add:

"Grounded for Life"

Keep in mind ... there are exceptions. And I'm not talking individual episodes as much as the over all character behavior.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the pattern.
Old 12-11-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Oh, I'm sure it's better than Torchwood and I've sat through season one of that twice already.
Any series that can't at least wait until the first-season finale to
Spoiler:
kill Indira Varma
is a bottom-feeder in my book.

das
Old 12-11-07, 12:03 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that make you a glutton?
Old 12-11-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily a formula to avoid making fun of women with young children, though I can definitely see the complaint. It's just that the common "family" sitcom has:
bumbling, oafish dad
mother usually younger, better looking, and the more responsible parent
teenage kids that are 100x smarter than either parent
Old 12-11-07, 12:27 PM

The mother in Everybody Hates Chris is often treated unsympathetically. But considering who's she's based on, maybe that shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 12-11-07, 01:22 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
King of the Hill. Peggy has always been less stable/intelligent/anything than Hank.
And this is why that show is such a breath of fresh air.
Old 12-11-07, 04:16 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
In Reba, Cheyenne was the butt of many a joke.

... and with Friends, I guess we could throw Pheobe and Rachel in there as well.
Old 12-11-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
In Reba, Cheyenne was the butt of many a joke.
I'd submit that Reba is in fact less an example of a show that throws the mother out there as a joke target and more an example of a show that doesn't. Cheyenne isn't anybody's mother unless my casual viewing (thanks, mom) has led to me missing a child. She's a stepmom, and they're a target. Reba isn't so much a target, and she's the mother figure.

I don't think it's an absolute, but I'd have to agree with the OP to the extent that you can list far more shows that treat the mother with kid gloves than you can shows that go after her.

ETA: My casual viewing does seem to have betrayed me. Cheyenne is one of Reba's kids, right? In that case, I'd suggest that she is an acceptable target because she got pregnant at an earlier than socially acceptable age. That makes going after her okay.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 12-11-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Doris Roberts on Everybody Loves Raymond was the second biggest target for jokes behind Brad Garrett.

I also seem to recall that the heavyset mother on Yes, Dear was always referenced as being a drunk and a slut.
Old 12-12-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Doris Roberts on Everybody Loves Raymond was the second biggest target for jokes behind Brad Garrett.

I also seem to recall that the heavyset mother on Yes, Dear was always referenced as being a drunk and a slut.
Doris Roberts portrayed not a mother but a grandmother. She was well past any childbearing or even raising. I submit that's different.

Yes, Dear falls into the same pattern many shows that make a mother a target use. She is somehow inferior to her uptight sister, which makes her a target of ridicule. I'd say the limited amount of times they took shots at her uptight sister would serve as a better example of that show departing from the norm.
Old 12-12-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But it was her motherly qualities, her passive-aggressive over-involvement in the lives of her adult children, that were the constant target for humor. Her character traits would have been the same whether Ray and Debra had children or not.

das
Old 12-12-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is about mothers of young children. Adults can take care of themselves. Children are considered vulnerable and a bumbling incompetent mother is unacceptable. A bumbling inept father is considered the normal for sitcoms.

On Yes, Dear the party mom only did so after they made it clear that the kids would stay with super mom. They emphasized that party mom was really a great mom and that both fathers were inept morons.
Old 12-12-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
But it was her motherly qualities, her passive-aggressive over-involvement in the lives of her adult children, that were the constant target for humor. Her character traits would have been the same whether Ray and Debra had children or not.

das
In that vein, Debra was made fun of as well for being too uptight at times... it just paled in comparison to her oafish husband.
Old 12-12-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
One thing that's definitely off limits for mothers on sitcoms is violence. There's been many shows that have the father getting hurt but never the mother. I think that's one thing we'll never see on a sitcom (Unless you count family guy)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.