Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with The Nanny Diaries

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-10-07, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented The Nanny Diaries from Movie Gallery. They pick up their Wenstein Bros. movies from Walmart. First off, the disc and case both say widescreen but the movie plays in fullscreen. I ejected the disc just to make sure it was ws. Secondly the picture quality was terrible. I thought that maybe I had accidentally hit zoom thus making the movie look like crap and looking like it was in fs. We gave up on the movie. I'm going to try to get a refund or a credit for this piece of crap. The picture was comparable to 2 movies compressed onto one dvd by a settop dvd recorder.

For those wondering the tv is a 42" Samsung plasma with a Magnavox upconvert dvd player. The dvd player is the cheap one Walmart had on black friday.
Old 12-11-07, 01:23 PM

I have the R1 Canadian release from Alliance Atlantis, and while it's in widescreen 16x9, the picture quality does seem to be quite poor, which is shocking for a brand new release. I actually noticed some "ghosting" which seemed to be the result of a non-progressive transfer. Terrible for the DVD version of a brand new film.
Old 12-13-07, 10:12 AM

Thank you! I thought I was the only one having problems. I see horizontal lines in almost every scene, but most noticeable in scenes where there's movement. Initially I thought my new Toshiba HD-A3 DVD player had gone bad, but it plays other DVDs fine.
Old 12-13-07, 10:16 AM

This was hands down the worst picture i have ever seen on DVD. The picturee would literally freeze for moments as it panned. I thought at first they were 'trying something' during the title sequence. Plus, there were heavy horizontal waves throughout the entire movie. Unbelieveably distracting. Again, the worst DVD picture i have ever seen. Mine is 16x9, but hardly worth it since the picture sucked.
Old 12-13-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the bigger problem here is that you tried to watch "The Nanny Diaries."

Haha... Kidding... I think.
Old 12-14-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kory
I think the bigger problem here is that you tried to watch "The Nanny Diaries."

Haha... Kidding... I think.
I try to watch most of the new releases as they come out. Besides it got Scarlett Johansen. (That's probably not spelled right.)

I took it back to Movie Gallery and exchanged it but the new one is the same. It's so bad we couldn't watch it.
Old 12-14-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it still only playing in FS for you?
Old 12-14-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On IMDB there are people complaining about the picture quality as well. One guy says he rented his copy at Blockbuster, so I guess it's all the copies that are affected. Sounds like a pretty big problem. Any chance of a recall?