Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever feel that some TV comedies go too far with their racial and ethnic humor?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you ever feel that some TV comedies go too far with their racial and ethnic humor?
Yes
10.61%
No
86.36%
I'm not sure
3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever feel that some TV comedies go too far with their racial and ethnic humor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm writing a paper for one of my TV classes on how some TV comedy shows push the boundaries with their racial and ethnic humor in a way that can seem pretty offensive. So I was wondering if there was ever any show that went too far for you?

I understand that most/all of the shows with this offensive type of comedy are satires, and have a point that they are trying to make, but does that make their offensive humor okay? To be more specific, is it clear to everyone watching what they are trying to do? Or do most people miss the point?

For example, here are just some of the shows and episodes I'm looking at...

The Boondocks - "Granddad's Fight".
The Sarah Silverman Program- "Face Wars".
South Park - "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson".
Chappelle's Show - The sketch, "Racial Pixies."
Old 12-10-07, 02:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not comedies, but one reality show I saw really disgusted me. It was called "Amazing Race Family Edition". When a white family was shown, the captions identified them by name (Smith Family, Jones Family, etc). But when the sole African-American family was shown they were just referred to as "Black Family". I turned it off in disgust, and have not watched the program since.
Old 12-10-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I think it's difficult to say one goes "too far" with humor. Odds are that someone finds anything funny, so you are really just defining some arbitrary line and deciding if something crosses it.

For example, I saw the "Race Wars" episode of The Sarah Silverman Show and not only was I impressed with the boldness of the story, it was also extremely well written and had a great conclusion. I'm as sensitive about race as it comes, but I can appreciate racial humor when it is done well.

The Chappelle Show as a whole excelled at this too. By shining a light on how ridiculous all races are, and pulling no punches when it came to his own race, Chappelle made some of the most entertaining television I've ever seen.
Old 12-10-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not comedies, but one reality show I saw really disgusted me. It was called "Amazing Race Family Edition". When a white family was shown, the captions identified them by name (Smith Family, Jones Family, etc). But when the sole African-American family was shown they were just referred to as "Black Family". I turned it off in disgust, and have not watched the program since.
Old 12-10-07, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5/5
Old 12-10-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want an A, you should just argue that in an ideological analysis of television, race is a social construct, and thus the issue is that society distinguishes people by race rather than as people.

Or you could argue that from a semiotic analysis of television, sitcom jokes wouldn't make sense or be funny unless they are stereotypical.

But that's just what I would do with a Media Studies degree...

Last edited by lordwow; 12-10-07 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 03:20 PM

I don't have a specific answer that I'm looking for. I just want to see how other people feel. But those are good points.
Old 12-10-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Holy shit, are you serious! That's like Survivor using a caption like "Token Sassy Black Woman" under someone like this year's Sherea.

As to the original question ... I have no problem whatsoever with the examples given. And in 3 of the 4 cases, a "minority" is the one telling the joke. To me, they're examples of racial humor where the intent is not to be racist. Rather, by setting up extreme characters and situations, they try to shed a little light on the thought processes behind racism. To me, the racist show would be one that always portrays people of a certain race in a negative light without any deeper intent - kind of like older movies and shows where the only black characters would be bumbling idiots.

Does everyone "get" this humor? Obviously not ... as Sarah Silverman found out first hand with her "chink" controversy. Should comedians not do this kind kind material since some people won't understand it and get offended? No way! All of these shows make it very clear that they're going to tackle sensitive material. Someone who sits through an episode of South Park or The Boondocks and gets all up in arms about the offensive racism seems like they were just looking for something to get offended about in the first place.

Last edited by brainee; 12-10-07 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well if you're looking for racially insensitive television shows, you should probably start with Amos n Andy
Old 12-10-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Brent: This is Sanj, this guy does the best Ali G impersonation, Aiiieee. I can't do it, go on, do it

Sanj: I don't, must be someone else

David Brent: Oh, sorry, it's the other one...

Sanj: The other what... Paki?

David Brent: Ah, that's racist.

Last edited by Merkin Muffley; 12-10-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
This thread reminded me of an episode of American Dad.

Stan goes the extra mile to prove his new Iranian neighbors are terrorists, he winds up locking them in a homemade prison and I think tortures them briefly. At the end of the episode, learning the necessary lesson that not all Iranians are terrorists, they all stand around and chat for a second. The neighbors then bust out with "Don't worry, we like you better than our previous neighbors - they were....black."

That always kind of stuck out. Admittingly it does fit the theme of the episode, but being as I didn't see the entire episode the first time through it stood out especially strong.

For the most part though, no, I don't feel TV comedies go too far with their racial and ethnic humor. And it burns me whenever I hear a group deeming certain bits "unacceptable".
Old 12-10-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Groucho FTW!
Old 12-10-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

My answer to the question is Hell No. Few characters have made me laugh more than Eric Cartman or Archie Bunker.
Old 12-10-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope. I think this country is too uptight when it comes to that stuff. I say let the jokes fly. There is a fine line between making jokes on stereotypes and being racially insensitve. IMO, that line is rarely crossed on sitcoms.

You should also look into some eps of The Office. Particulary the one titled "Diversity Day".

Last edited by Goat3001; 12-10-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

GO BLACK FAMILY!

Groucho, this could be my favorite post of yours, like, ever.

as for this actual topic... I thought the Sarah Silverman race show was brilliant myself. Especially the conclusion, when she sees that the waiter was equally offensive in his stereotypes.

As for the boondocks, it was controversial as a comic strip. Taking that to the airwaves allowed the creator to use the n-word constantly, but the same themes are still there. Plus, isn't it ok if a black guy stereotype black people? that's cool, right?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-10-07 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a similar experience with Drawn Together!
Old 12-10-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's possible to go too far for any particular individual. Everyone has their limits of course. But I don't think they go too far in general. Just because something offends person A doesn't mean that person B should be deprived of it. So I'd say No, I don't think that some TV comedies go too far.
Old 12-10-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Of course not.
Old 12-10-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This reminds me of the small controversy over Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back for its gay jokes. It should have been apparent that the jokes were aimed at the people who think the way the characters think and not at homosexuals, but I seem to recall a group called GLAAD was concerned not everybody would get it. I think part of the point is to contribute to dialogue on these issues, so I neither blame people for bringing this up nor creators for pushing the envelope.
Old 12-10-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I don't. I like Racial Humor, especially if it's smart and used to expose some of the silly shit we ALL think about other races. Hell, even some of the so-called "stereotype" racial humor that can often, AS WE ALL KNOW, have some degree of truth behind it, simply allows us to laugh at ourselves.

People are such pussies when it comes to Racial Humor. I blame PC attitudes, "White guilt", and Jesse Jackson and other Race Shit stirrers.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-10-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I've had a similar experience with Drawn Together!
Man, that show is so wonderfully wrong.

I think there is nothing better than desensitizing us to it so we can laugh about it, personally.
Old 12-11-07, 03:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
David Brent: This is Sanj, this guy does the best Ali G impersonation, Aiiieee. I can't do it, go on, do it

Sanj: I don't, must be someone else

David Brent: Oh, sorry, it's the other one...

Sanj: The other what... Paki?

David Brent: Ah, that's racist.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ET3zLM_MiE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ET3zLM_MiE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-11-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave

I think there is nothing better than desensitizing us to it so we can laugh about it, personally.
Yep.
Old 12-11-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I blame PC attitudes, "White guilt"
I am so sorry about these. I feel really, really bad about it. If there's anything I can do to make it up to you, please let me know.

Old 12-11-07, 07:50 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think the only time TV goes too far is when it goes too far in trying not to offend people who probably go out of their way looking to be offended.

So, no.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.