Reload this Page >

expired copyright now public domain

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-10-07, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out if a certain made for TV movie back in 1978 still has its copyright or if it listed in public domain?

I receieved a copy (dvd copied for a vhs that was taped when it orignally aired) of a movie that aired one time only on tv in 1978 and i wanted to make a few copies as it is impossible to find this movie now.

It was never put out on video of any kind and only aired one time only.

So i guess what i am asking is ... is there some kind of list showing what is in public domain?

Also does public domain mean someone can make copies onto dvd without breaking and laws?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-07, 12:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
1978? No.

Under US law, copyright extends to the life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.

So I think this movie's copyright will expire in 2073.

Last edited by Groucho; 12-10-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to make copies of The Star Wars Holiday Special are we. I think if you are just giving them to family your ok but if you start selling them on eBay or at flea markets then your breaking the law
Old 12-10-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't copy that floppy!
Old 12-10-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Before 1978, unpublished works were not covered by the federal copyright act. This does not mean that the works were in the public domain. Rather, it means that they were covered under (perpetual) common law copyright. The Copyright Act of 1976, effective 1978, abolished common law copyright in the United States; all works, published and unpublished, are now covered by federal statutory copyright. The claim that "pre-1923 works are in the public domain" is correct only for published works; unpublished works are under federal copyright for at least the life of the author plus 70 years. For a work made for hire, the copyright in a work created before 1978, but not theretofore in the public domain or registered for copyright, subsists from January 1, 1978, and endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication, or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.[4] If the work was created before 1978 but first published on or before December 31, 2002, the work is covered by federal copyright until 2047.
According to Wikipedia.