Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the thinking behind new eps well into December?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically, December is a dead zone for new episodes on a yearly basis. Once November sweeps are done, we don't get a lot of new stuff until January.

I can understand shows like Heroes that are wrapping up a storyline when holding an episode or two back would be silly. But, with the continuing WGA strike, it seems really stupid to still playing new episodes right now. I checked the TiVo and there's two new episodes of CSI-NY coming up in the next two weeks. Plenty of other shows are the same way.

Why are the networks doing this? With very few exceptions, we'll have nothing but repeats and reality shows for the February sweeps. It just seems really strange.
Old 12-10-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Why take a month off just to have a triumphant return with two lonely episodes?
Old 12-10-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Does it make a difference whether a new episode is aired now or in January? With the strike, I'm sure this won't be a traditional Sweeps measurement (which they will use for future buys).

Probably up until the 1990s, it was commonplace for there to be new episodes to be aired well into December and then have a couple repeats during X-mas/NY weeks.
Old 12-10-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Why take a month off just to have a triumphant return with two lonely episodes?
That was House is doing.
Old 12-10-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Does it make a difference whether a new episode is aired now or in January?
This time of year, more people are thinking about the holidays. I would certainly think January would provide better ratings.
Old 12-10-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Maybe but if all they have left in the can are a couple episodes and they have repeats for the next 4-5 weeks, people might forget about them like GuessWho said - they'll get lost in the shuffle. I'd rather have them burn through them all now.
Old 12-10-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather they just burn through them now. I don't mind a show like Friday Night Lights going off the air til the new year since they still have 6 episodes left in the can. But most other series have at best 3 or 4 more.
Old 12-10-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't understand doing this for something like CSI. It's an established procedural with little serial plot and does very well in repeats, so holding the final eps for a sweeps period helps the network and doesn't really mess with the viewers much.

Other shows I can understand, like Heroes or new shows that are still trying to gain an audience.

Originally Posted by Chew
That was House is doing.
I read last week House's January 29th episode will be their Xmas show.
Old 12-10-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanna know what happens to the Housewives after the storm. They have one more episode to air but have no date yet!
Old 12-10-07, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
I read last week House's January 29th episode will be their Xmas show.
Its because of the Superbowl I believe.
Old 12-10-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been wondering the same thing. Usualy December is when I start catching up on all my shows that have piled up in the DVR but this year it seems I am still stockpiling them.

The WB used to shut down all their new episodes it seemed but the CW doesn't seem to do this as much.

So far this writer's strike has not affected me one bit (except for Daily Show/Colbert) but I will imagne I will start to notice it in January.
Old 12-10-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I just wanna know what happens to the Housewives after the storm. They have one more episode to air but have no date yet!

I don't watch the show but our local radio station was interviewing the head writer and she said:

Spoiler:
that the guy that died (can't remember his name) isn't really dead. I don't if that was BS. or not.
Old 12-10-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
This time of year, more people are thinking about the holidays. I would certainly think January would provide better ratings.
I didn't know the holidays provided so much thought that people couldn't watch their TV shows.
Old 12-10-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I didn't know the holidays provided so much thought that people couldn't watch their TV shows.

Yeah, I never understood that either.

I blame the WB for starting the whole take off all of December and all of March programing schedule
Old 12-10-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Marc Cherry is purposely holding the ep back because he said that it represents the beginning of the final longer storyline of the season and he wanted the momentum.
Old 12-10-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Chew don't believe everything Tivo says about getting new episodes two weeks in advance.

I don't watch CSI:NY, but I see the description of this week's new episode involves a child and a wish, so that might explain why it's airing during the "holiday season".

After that (according to TV Guide) there are 3 new CSI:NY eps left.
I think CBS will hold those until 2008.
Old 12-10-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Part of what is driving the thinking at all the networks (except FOX) is that in addition to running out of new episodes of their shows,
they also have to deal with the return of AMERICAN IDOL.

Besides being a ratings behemoth, IDOL is also a bottomless well of programming for FOX.
Last year IDOL ran eight shows over four weeks that showed those lousy auditions,
And then nine shows over three weeks going from 24 contestants to the Top 12.

All they have to do is increase the footage they air, and FOX could have IDOL on four nights a week for almost two months
before they ever get top "the real competition".

And then, once they get to the live shows, FOX can make them longer just by having the contestants sing more.
Every one sings four times instead of twice, and IDOL runs two hours.

It doesn't make any sense for ABC, CBS, and NBC to hold on to a few remaining new episodes of their shows just to see them crushed by IDOL in February.
And that's why FOX is doing just the opposite, sitting on 2/3 eps of House and Bones, and waiting for IDOL to return.