Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The ONE Song That Shaped Your Taste In Music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

For me, it was August of 1977. I was a 9 year old kid at a day camp, and went to check on my camp counselor when he was hanging out in his VW van. He was hanging out with 4 or 5 people and listening to an 8 Track tape, which I had never heard before. I was blown away at how cool the music was, then I was stunned to find out WHO it was.

I've been a fan ever since.

You wanted the best, you got the best! The hottest band in the world - KISS!!!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYuErf2vDT8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYuErf2vDT8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
"Firehouse"

This, of course, led to me searching for other bands that played similar music, and I quickly discovered Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc - all of which I still love!

What one song shaped or changed your taste in music?

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-09-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tommy Roe - Dizzy.

circa 1969. 99% of you probably won't know who that is, but his was that ultra bubblegum pop singer. Hooks so huge you were smothered by them and your mind dumped by the road when the song finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gofeaMhvw4Y

All Music Guide

Last edited by Ayre; 12-09-07 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine would have to be Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. I don't mostly listen to hard rock anymore, but prior to hearing that song I had no opinions on music beyond the Top 40.

The amazing work of LZ caused me to eventually listen to the Rolling Stones, The Who and many many many incredible bands.
Old 12-09-07, 07:45 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Old 12-09-07, 08:51 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Late 60's . . . The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night

It had everything for me, a great pop groove, but a hard edge as well (the very thing that would make me love Lennon for years to come). This song prepped my tastes for everything else that came later (Led Zeppelin, early Aerosmith, ec...).
Old 12-09-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Over The Hills And Far Away . 1973 I was 15. Was already listening to bands that got AM play like Steppenwolf, Creedence, Stones. One day heard Over the Hills on the AM station and thought it was the coolest song I'd ever heard. Had a paper route at the time and did a run on my collections to get the cash to buy all five Zeppelin albums($4 a piece new). Had to go to a head shop(The Olde Curiosity Shop) to find them all in one place. First time there. Discovered many other artists browsing through their bins(Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, Traffic, etc.) and the guy who owned the place turned me on to Beaker Street, KAAY Little Rock, AR. Started listening every night. Still remember hearing Sabbath's Iron Man and Gypsy by Uriah Heep for the first time on Beaker Street.
Old 12-09-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I was really turned off of "hard rock" in the mid-80s. I just couldn't stand the "hair bands" that were rampant in my teen years and the mind numbing shit that was in heavy rotation on MTV in those days (Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home was #1 on the video countdown day after day; man I hated that song).
Anyway, my taste went very poppy as a result (though I was still a big fan of Classic 70's rock). One day, I went to see The Dead Pool, the last Dirty Harry film and a song was playing that made me sit up in my seat and take notice. It was "Welcome To The Jungle" by Guns & Roses. That song had such energy, fire, drive. There was nothing corporate or monotonous about it. I decided that there was a future for hard rock right then.
Old 12-09-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two songs as a kid, growing up...one that got me into rap, and one that got me into rock, and those were "Nuthin' But a G Thang" by Dr. Dre, and "Enter Sandman" by Metallica.
Old 12-09-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me, it was more a combination of songs.

When I was 8, I used to listen to the radio for hours hoping that they'd play either The Cars' "Let's Go" or the Human League's "Don't You Want Me".

When I was 11, I stole my sister's copy of the Pretty in Pink soundtrack because I loved Echo and the Bunnymen's "Bring on the Dancing Horses" so much.

Finally, when I was 13, I moved to middle school and my unbelievably hip new friend Ashley Cripse played me Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart", Suicidal Tendancies "Institutionalized", Mission of Burma's "That's When I Reached for My Revolver" and REM's "Radio Free Europe" in one year. Done.
Old 12-09-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd have to say either "When The Levee Breaks" or "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin. Just the fact that both songs incorporate a bunch of different musical styles... I love to rock out, but I love epic songs like this too. That, and the awesomeness of Led Zeppelin's almost flawless catalogue cemented my addiction to music in place.
Old 12-09-07, 12:08 PM

I feel silly picking such an obvious choice, but what the hell, Zeppelin and the Beatles have already made appearances.

Oasis - Wonderwall
Old 12-09-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Beatles - Dear Prudence
Old 12-09-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Beatles - Help!

My aunt had some of their albums in her home and it was all I wanted to hear as a kid. I could choose any song off that album, but I'll go with the kickstarter.
Old 12-09-07, 12:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 12-09-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know about the ONE song, but I remember my best friend playing his older sister's Depeche Mode tape. "Master and Servant", because it had dirty lyrics, and "Blasphemous Rumours", for its dark tale and controversial religious theme, were two songs that got me away from just accepting what was played on the radio, and interested in finding stuff that'd surprise me and make me think.
Old 12-09-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps a bit embarassing to list, but it would probably be something by The Monkees. Those were the first actual records I owned, given to me by one of my Aunts. From there I graduated to KISS and Alice Cooper.

However, if you really want to go back to the beginning - the absolute first music I remember listening to and wanting to hear again was the soundtrack to 2001 : A Space Odyssey. When I was about 4 or 5, my father had the album, and I used to listen to it with him - and make him play, particularly "Also Sprach Zarathustra", over and over again. I can say, without a doubt, that that is where my true (and unending) love of music has stemmed from.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-09-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Perhaps a bit embarassing to list, but it would probably be something by The Monkees. Those were the first actual records I owned, given to me by one of my Aunts. From there I graduated to KISS and Alice Cooper.
Some might say the other two artists you mention are more embarrassing . Don't be embarrassed to say the Monkees. Their debut album has a HUGE place in my early love of music. It's still a great recording.
Old 12-09-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Some might say the other two artists you mention are more embarrassing . Don't be embarrassed to say the Monkees. Their debut album has a HUGE place in my early love of music. It's still a great recording.
Agreed. The second album, More of The Monkees, is the 12th biggest selling of all time. Whether they played their own instuments on the early recordings or not doesn't matter. They are just really, really good 1960s pop/rock records and (like it or not) will probably outlast most of the other recordings listed in this thread.
Old 12-09-07, 05:02 PM

Clash City Rockers , one of their worst, but the very 1st song on the US version of their 'debut' LP, by the 3rd powerchord the stereo was cranked and the walls were shaking. I'm real glad mom & dad weren't around.

Don't know about "shaping" my musical tastes, as they change with some regularity, but it was the right song at the right time. Didn't appreciate the Pistols till later, and discovered Stooges, Velvets, etc. long after they were history. The La's Son Of A Gun reawakened a sence of discovery, but this was, again, after the fact.
Old 12-09-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Up until the early 90's I was big into pop music. The likes of Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Boyz II Men and such(yeah, I know). A friend/co-worker brought a mix-tape into work one night of rock music, most of which I was indifferent to, except for this one track he had on there that just blew my mind. The musicianship, the vocals, the bizarre ending... I'd never heard anything like it and single-handedly turned me on to a new genre.

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pIjHeBbRtY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pIjHeBbRtY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-09-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Probably Travis Tritt's cover of Take IT Easy. The Eagles are far and away my favorite band. Or, more recently - Santana - Smooth (guitar playing like I'd never heard in my life...totally blew my mind.)
Old 12-09-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
all due to Queen

Our highschool mascot was the Tennessee Walking Horse...dubbed the Champion.
So naturally when "We are the Champions" came out it was the school song.

Next I saw Flash Gordon in the theater and had to have the soundtrack.

it was a slippery slope from there to ACDC, Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio.....
Old 12-09-07, 09:01 PM
Banned

Sonic Youth-Teenage Riot.
Old 12-09-07, 09:58 PM

my musical tastes sucked till 94..but

Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pigs

a combination of the video and the song, was so wtf to me that everything changed past that.
Old 12-10-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My musical taste was hit and miss till about 96-97, but I can say that "Pump up the Jam" by Technotronic probably had a big influence on my later love of electronic music.

Also "Big Gun" by AC/DC did lead to a later liking of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.