Looking to sell my dvd collection fast.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-07-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys
I live in Northern Virginia and moving soon, I'm looking to sell my 1000 plus dvd collecton fast. Anyone knows someone or a company or where I can take it to be sold fast and easy. I have too much to send in the mail or ebay it.
Old 12-07-07, 07:30 AM

Hey Roger,

Due to the high number, you might want to check with local mom and pop video stores - they may be willing to pick up part of your collection if its the right price.

Depending on how desperate you are to get rid of them, and how much you're willing to accept, you can sell them to local stores (gamestop, suncoast, FYE, pawn shops) - you won't get a lot of money (and usually even less if you choose to take the cash option) but it is a way to get rid of them quick. I'm guessing that selling 1,000 will be the tough part as the stores usually want to inspect and scan each disc separately.

You said you don't want to mail them, but DVDPlanet.com buys used discs (I havent used them, but have heard they give good prices). they give quotes online:
http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm

With that said, I would try selling them online for a short period of time (a week?) through places like this (I think DVDTalk has a buy/sell/trade forum) - you'll likely get the best prices and wont need to go through all of the trouble with individual listings on ebay. Even try going to a swap meet or doing a yard-sale one day before settling for the prices retail stores will pay.
Old 12-07-07, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you need the cash or are you just trying to get rid of them? If you just want to get rid of them (and itemize your taxes) drop them off at some of the local libraries, Goodwill, or maybe even firestations (although I've never tried that, they might take them depending upon what you try to give them).
Old 12-07-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I do need the cash to pay off my credit cards. I am in debt and the less I owe the better off I will be. I will try the usual stores. I'm sorry to say that most of the mom and pops stores are all all gone, can't even find one that's close by at all. I was thinking to do a yard sale for dvd's only but it's winter time now. I hope to get more great ideas and also if dvd talkers close by wants to come by and see what i have, let me know. If any lives close by and want to visit. I will ask in this forum if anyone knows you well enough, necessary precautions. Im sure you understand. Thanks for the great ideas.
Old 12-07-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live pretty close (Alexandria), but I'm not really looking to acquire a whole lot. I'd probably just want to pick & choose, which wouldn't help you much if you are trying to get rid of the whole lot fast. Try posting in the exchange forum, you may find someone in the area who is interested in the whole lot. You can view members trade feedback there as well. Do you have a link to your collection online (dvdspot, dvdaf, etc.)? It would probably help for people to get a feel of what you have.
Old 12-07-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I too live close by and might be interested if you had a listing of titles
Old 12-07-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I never knew you lived in NOVA Brian!!
Old 12-07-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give you $200 plus shipping.
Old 12-07-07, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Another NOVA resident (Courthouse Arlington). Roger, keep us updated if you have a list or are planning on having a sale-
Old 12-07-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The cat is out of the bag
Old 12-07-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The cat is out of the bag
All these years we could have been watching movies together...wasted.
Old 12-07-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
I'll give you $200 plus shipping.
Wow, less than 20 cents per DVD, that's a pretty good offer!

Take it Roger!
Old 12-07-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McKay's Used Books (there's one in Manassas and I believe another in Centerville) has a pretty decent exchange rate.
Old 12-07-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Another NOVA resident (live in Reston, work by Court House Metro) here. FYE will give you a decent amount for your used DVDs. You might also want to go by the used DVD store next to the Whole Foods on Clarendon Boulevard at Court House that might take them.
Old 12-07-07, 01:37 PM

All these years we could have been watching movies together...wasted.

Several years back we had a NOVA happy hour. Maybe we should try another one.
Old 12-07-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
I'm down.
Old 12-07-07, 01:47 PM

High Tech Service & Exchange. They used to have a shop in downtown Falls Church but I think they might have moved to somewhere on Rt. 50. Google'd this:
High Tech Service & Exchange
6541 Arlington Blvd
Falls Church, VA 22042

And if anyone needs Beta tapes, they had them.

Last edited by dleedlee; 12-07-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
Nemein if you tell me you live in NOVA my mind will official be blown.
Old 12-07-07, 02:02 PM

Nemein if you tell me you live in NOVA my mind will official be blown.

It would have been quite a trek to do HH otherwise We should probably take this discussion to a thread in the Other Forum, although to be honest it'll be after the new year before I'm able to do anything... Maybe we can make it a going away party for roger_d, when are you moving?

Last edited by nemein; 12-07-07 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 04:17 PM

i will give you one thoooooooooooouuuusand dollars
Old 12-07-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by roger_d
Thanks for the great ideas guys. I do need the cash to pay off my credit cards. I am in debt and the less I owe the better off I will be. I will try the usual stores. I'm sorry to say that most of the mom and pops stores are all all gone, can't even find one that's close by at all. I was thinking to do a yard sale for dvd's only but it's winter time now. I hope to get more great ideas and also if dvd talkers close by wants to come by and see what i have, let me know. If any lives close by and want to visit. I will ask in this forum if anyone knows you well enough, necessary precautions. Im sure you understand. Thanks for the great ideas.
I'd still try secondspin.com. If you can hold out for about a month, you'll get a nice check. Be sure to compare what local places give you and SS because the difference could be very dramatic. Even though you need to get rid of your movies, you will kick yourself in the ass for not getting a respectful sum for them. Of course, I don't know your entire situation, but if you can put off receiving the cash for about a month, I'm sure secondspin.com is the best route. One shipping cost per box of 100 DVDs (or more depending on how careful you ship) versus being screwed by ebay costs and paypal costs.
Old 12-07-07, 08:06 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
You have to email secondspin.com in advance if you have a huge amount to sell. Some had their stuff returned when they sent too many without emailing first.
Old 12-07-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why exactly are you selling it off?

I mean really, 1000 DVDs. It's not like that took years to gather .. nevermind the expense, especially when it's realized that you're left with 5-10% of its cost to you.

Why not just pay the extra expense to move it .... and if it is really necessary to dump off, do it more slowly to maximize the return????

Sorry, but I just don't get it. It just seems silly to me, especially when moving it is next to the cost of nothing ....... perhaps for the added weight when added to the rest of what you're moving. What, it equals the cost it would in weight and size to add another couch to your moving expenses? Boxes can be had for free. So .... why the urgency?
Old 12-07-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He is worried about Credit Card debt and feels he must sell to pay it down.
Old 12-07-07, 08:46 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Another way to go is to go on half.com and list them below everyone else and they will sell pretty fast if you low ball the price and do better than these alternatives most likely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.