Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Grammy Nominations Out!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Grammy Nominations Out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,175 Likes on 4,204 Posts
Grammy Nominations Out!

Well, I have no problems with Kanye West and Amy Winehouse, but there are some real head-scratchers in the Best Album category

Kanye, Winehouse Lead Grammy Noms
Dec. 6, 2007, 12:13 PM EST

By Sandy Cohen
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Kanye West, Amy Winehouse and the Foo Fighters were among the leading Grammy contenders announced Thursday.

West received a leading eight nominations. Winehouse received six, including for best new artist, record and song of the year for her hit "Rehab," and album of the year for "Back to Black."

Record of year candidates included Beyonce's "Irreplaceable," the Foo Fighters' "The Pretender," Rihanna's "Umbrella," "What Goes Around Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake and Winehouse's "Rehab."

The album of the year category also featured the Foo Fighters, for "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace," as well as Winehouse's album. Vince Gill's four-disc set "These Days" was also cited, along with Herbie Hancock's tribute to Joni Mitchell, "River: The Joni Letters," and West's "Graduation."

Besides Winehouse, other best new artist nominees were Feist, Paramour, Taylor Swift and Ledesi.

Where's Springsteen? Everyone thought he was a shoo-in. I don't mind the Foo Fighters representing, though I thought this album was inferior to past efforts, but a Herbie Hancock tribute to Joni Mitchell? Seriously?
I know they play fast & loose with the definition of a "New Artist", so it's no surprise to see Winehouse and Feist there though neither is really "new".

I'll post the complete list of nominees when it's online.

Last edited by Decker; 12-06-07 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
partial list for now...

Record of the Year:
"Irreplaceable," Beyonce;
"The Pretender," Foo Fighters;
"Umbrella," Rihanna featuring Jay-Z;
"What Goes Around ... Comes Around," Justin Timberlake;
"Rehab," Amy Winehouse.

Album of the Year:
"Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace," Foo Fighters;
"These Days," Vince Gill;
"River: The Joni Letters," Herbie Hancock;
"Graduation," Kanye West;
"Back to Black," Amy Winehouse.

Song of the Year:
"Before He Cheats," Josh Kear & Chris Tompkins (Carrie Underwood);
"Hey There Delilah," Tom Higgenson (Plain White T's);
"Like a Star," Corinne Bailey Rae (Corinne Bailey Rae);
"Rehab," Amy Winehouse (Amy Winehouse);
"Umbrella," Shawn Carter, Kuk Harrell, Terius "Dream" Nash & Christopher Stewart (Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z).

New Artist:
Feist;
Ledisi;
Paramore;
Taylor Swift;
Amy Winehouse.

Pop Vocal Album:
"Lost Highway," Bon Jovi;
"The Reminder," Feist;
"It Won't Be Soon Before Long," Maroon 5;
"Memory Almost Full," Paul McCartney;
"Back to Black," Amy Winehouse.

Rock Album:
"Daughtry," Daughtry;
"Revival," John Fogerty;
"Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace," Foo Fighters;
"Magic," Bruce Springsteen;
"Sky Blue Sky," Wilco.

R&B Album:
"Funk This," Chaka Khan;
"Lost & Found," Ledisi;
"Luvanmusiq," Musiq Soulchild;
"The Real Thing," Jill Scott;
"Sex, Love & Pain," Tank.

Rap Album:
"Finding Forever," Common;
"Kingdom Come," Jay-Z,
"Hip Hop Is Dead," Nas;
"T.I. vs T.I.P.," T.I.;
"Graduation," Kanye West.

Country Album:
"Long Trip Alone," Dierks Bentley;
"These Days," Vince Gill;
"Let It Go," Tim McGraw;
"5th Gear," Brad Paisley;
"It Just Comes Natural," George Strait.).

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-06-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Is Vince Gill's album a compilation?
Old 12-06-07, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't consider Paramore a new artist either. I don't like him, but Daughtry would've made sense for Best New Artist since it's his first album, don't you think?
Old 12-06-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can Feist and Anmy Winehouse be considered new artists? Winehouse has two albums and Feist has 4 plus her work with BSS.
Old 12-06-07, 01:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ugh... why are the nominees every year such middle of the road?
Old 12-06-07, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
How can Feist and Anmy Winehouse be considered new artists? Winehouse has two albums and Feist has 4 plus her work with BSS.
As I mentioned above, the Grammys play fast and loose with the definition. They consider a new artist anyone who "first come to prominence" during the eligibility year. It was a response to Whitney Huston being ineligible because she had released one duet on a soundtrack prior to her huge breakout debut album. Now, obviously, it's swung too far the other way (like when Lauryn Hill won Best New Artist two years after the Fugees were nominated for Best Album and won several awards).

I agree, by stricter criteria, Daugherty should not only be a nominee in this category, but the likely winner.
Old 12-06-07, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Nice to see Paul Mccartney get a couple of noms that are actually deserved. He'll lose in every category he's nominated for though.

Also good to see The Beatles: Love nominated, and a couple songs from the Lennon Darfur tribute album as well.
Old 12-06-07, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Nice to see Paul Mccartney get a couple of noms that are actually deserved. He'll lose in every category he's nominated for though.

Also good to see The Beatles: Love nominated, and a couple songs from the Lennon Darfur tribute album as well.
mutlichannel surround nom?
Old 12-06-07, 02:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giles
mutlichannel surround nom?
Yeah, Best Surround Sound also Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
Old 12-06-07, 02:33 PM
Banned

I have not heard one of these albums or songs...
Old 12-06-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Geez, the LA Times had a big article saying that Bruce Springsteen should finally bring down a best album Grammy this year. Pretty surprised he was snubbed... by the Foo Fighters?

That album didn't even get good reviews.

Oh well we complain every year.
Old 12-06-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Yeah, Best Surround Sound also Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
Surround Sound disks in 2007 are about as relevant a cutural phenomenon as Laser Disks... or the Grammys for that matter.
Old 12-06-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Geez, the LA Times had a big article saying that Bruce Springsteen should finally bring down a best album Grammy this year. Pretty surprised he was snubbed... by the Foo Fighters?

That album didn't even get good reviews.

Oh well we complain every year.
And it's justified. This list stinks. Just like every year.
Old 12-06-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM
Alright, Still..., Lily Allen
Neon Bible, Arcade Fire
Volta, Björk
Wincing The Night Away, The Shins
Icky Thump, The White Stripes

Lily Allen? Alternative!?? See why the Grammies suck? I ****love**** Lily Allen and "Alright, Still". But Alternative it ain't.
Old 12-06-07, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I have not heard one of these albums or songs...
If you haven't ever heard "The Umbrella Song" you must not own a radio. In this case, consider yourself lucky.
Old 12-06-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
While all awards have their flaws, the Grammys seem to be the worst of the major awards, their list of nominees is somewhat akin to if the Oscars nominated Transformers, Hitman & 300 for best picture. It seems they either go for junky pseudo R&B Top 40 stuff or if they are feeling important they might nominate some washed up artist that they ignored 10, 20 or 30 years ago back when they were actually relevant.
Old 12-06-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM
Alright, Still..., Lily Allen
Neon Bible, Arcade Fire
Volta, Björk
Wincing The Night Away, The Shins
Icky Thump, The White Stripes

Lily Allen? Alternative!?? See why the Grammies suck? I ****love**** Lily Allen and "Alright, Still". But Alternative it ain't.
The same can be said about The White Stripes.
Old 12-06-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bugg
While all awards have their flaws, the Grammys seem to be the worst of the major awards, their list of nominees is somewhat akin to if the Oscars nominated Transformers, Hitman & 300 for best picture. It seems they either go for junky pseudo R&B Top 40 stuff or if they are feeling important they might nominate some washed up artist that they ignored 10, 20 or 30 years ago back when they were actually relevant.
You mean like "River: The Joni Letters," Herbie Hancock?? I've never even heard of this album.
Old 12-06-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who even watches the grammies anymore?
Old 12-06-07, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
If you haven't ever heard "The Umbrella Song" you must not own a radio. In this case, consider yourself lucky.
I havn't listened to a radio in years. And I do consider myself very lucky that I don't hear this music.
Old 12-06-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Wonder if Jethro Tull are going to be nominated for Best Hard Rock/Metal.
Old 12-06-07, 11:05 PM
Suspended

"Hey There Delilah," Tom Higgenson (Plain White T's);

Boycott the Grammys.

E
Old 12-06-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Is Vince Gill's album a compilation?

It's a 4 CD Box set of all new material. I bought it when it 1st came out for around $8 and love it. It had been around 3 or 4 years between CDs for him and that's a lifetime in country music so when he finally recorded a new CD it quickly turned into 4 CDs.

Spoiler:

These new recordings of mostly recent Gill compositions are the culmination of a project aimed at recording four distinct albums: rock, romance, vintage honky-tonk, and acoustic. The Rockin' Record, virtually perfect from start to finish, begins with "Workin' on a Big Chill," its swampy groove straight out of John Fogerty and a showcase for Gill's guitar virtuosity--a groove he resumes on "Cowboy Up," with cameo harmonies from Gretchen Wilson. "Sweet Thing" and a duet with Rodney Crowell on "Nothin' for a Broken Heart" pulsate with Chuck Berry intensity that contrasts with the solid, '60s Memphis groove of "Bet It All on You." The Reason Why showcases Gill's legendary ease with ballads, several of them enhanced by creative string arrangements by David Campbell (Beck's father), including "What You Don't Say" with LeAnn Rimes and "The Memory of You" with Trisha Yearwood. The stunning "Faint of Heart," a remarkably sultry jazz duet with Diana Krall, could become a standard. Some Things Never Get Old revisits classic fiddle-steel honky-tonk, music Gill has long reverenced and referenced. "This New Heartache" is straight out of Ray Price. Gill and Patty Loveless tear up "Out of My Mind" and Allison Krauss and Dan Tyminski join in for the waltz "I Can't Let Go." "Don't Pretend with Me" honors Ernest Tubb's honky-tonk primitivism. Little Brother, all-acoustic and often bluegrass-flavored, shines from beginning to end. Along with "Molly Brown," a stark cautionary about racial violence, Gill sings both "Cold Gray Light of Dawn" and "Give Me the Highway" with the Del McCoury Band. He and Guy Clark close it out with "Almost Home." Despite outstanding past efforts, Gill--one of the top hitmakers of the '90s--hasn't had a Top Ten single since 2000. No matter. His talents and the heart he puts into his writing, singing, and picking remain at their peak. This stellar collection proves it--four times over. --Rich Kienzle
Old 12-07-07, 01:09 AM

I am so glad that Carrie Underwood, LeAnn Rimes, Taylor Swift, and Amy Winehouse are nominated. I am pretty sure Carrie will take home most of the awards she is nominated for. She defenitly deserves any and all the awards she gets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.