Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"A Game of Thrones" Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"A Game of Thrones" Questions

I have a couple of questions on some things I don't understand. Keep in mind I've only read the first book, so please don't spoil anything beyond that.

- There is a page or two that talks about a dream Eddard had. It's when he finds the 3 members of the Kingsguard (Whent, Dayne, Hightower). There is some dialogue there, that indicates that they weren't around during the battle at the Trident or the sack of King's Landing. My question is, do they ever explain WHY the 3 best swords in the Kingsguard were somewhere else during these major battles? They tell Ned that the outcome would have been different if they were there, so why weren't they? It just seems odd to me.

- Do they ever go more in depth as to why and how Robert took over the kingdom? I know they said that Rhaegar raped Ned's sister, who was to marry Robert. Was that the only reason they went to war? Also, do they ever explain exactly why they call him "Mad King" Aerys?

Again, I've only read the first book, so answer with no spoilers if possible. Any theories are appreciated as well.
Old 12-05-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I have a couple of questions on some things I don't understand. Keep in mind I've only read the first book, so please don't spoil anything beyond that.

- There is a page or two that talks about a dream Eddard had. It's when he finds the 3 members of the Kingsguard (Whent, Dayne, Hightower). There is some dialogue there, that indicates that they weren't around during the battle at the Trident or the sack of King's Landing. My question is, do they ever explain WHY the 3 best swords in the Kingsguard were somewhere else during these major battles? They tell Ned that the outcome would have been different if they were there, so why weren't they? It just seems odd to me.
They weren't there because Aerys ordered them to do something stupid:
http://www.towerofthehand.com/refere...673/index.html

- Do they ever go more in depth as to why and how Robert took over the kingdom? I know they said that Rhaegar raped Ned's sister, who was to marry Robert. Was that the only reason they went to war? Also, do they ever explain exactly why they call him "Mad King" Aerys?
Yes, No but it gave them a nice reason, Yes in depth.

Becareful on that towerofthehand website. The default scope when reading the book materials is just the first book, so you're safe there but if you venture on to the main page there's always the possibility that you'll see a discussion of someone who died, or more likely that someone is still alive since as you know, no one is safe in these books.
Old 12-06-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. Another question: Did the Mirri Maz Duur lady kill Drogo intentionally to pay them back for what they did to her village, or was she really trying to help him?
Old 12-06-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears that it was pure vengence. Although...now that I think back on that, I wonder.
Old 12-06-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was revenge too.
Old 12-06-07, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
One nice thing about this series is that Martin doesn't always give an absolutely clear answer about why people do what they do. There's room for interpretation about what Mirri Maz Duur's intentions were (although I think she was getting revenge).

As for the events during Robert's Rebellion, subsequent books provide more details on what happened, and in particular what happened between Lyanna and Rhaegar and why the three members of the Kingsguard were not present at the Battle of the Trident and the Sack of Kings Landing. Again, though, there are no clear answers.
Old 12-06-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
One nice thing about this series is that Martin doesn't always give an absolutely clear answer about why people do what they do. There's room for interpretation about what Mirri Maz Duur's intentions were (although I think she was getting revenge).
Well I think we can safely say that it wasn't a genuine attempt to help. And it probably was revenge. But ... a guy can't help but wonder if she didn't just have a broader perspective somehow. Think of what her action there set off. Could she have had an inkling?

Ahh - probably a reach.
Old 12-07-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's never explained, but many people speculate that Rhaegar and Lyanna were actually in love and Robert was deluding himself about it being rape. The theory goes that Lyanna was pregnant with Rhaegar's child and he sent her off with the Kingsguard for her safety. According to Ned, after he defeated the Kingsguard, he found Lyanna on a blood-soaked bed, which could mean she was dying from complications of childbirth. Ned says he made a promise to Lyanna before she died, but we never find out what it was -- many believe he told her he'd take her son and protect him from Robert, who'd want to kill the kid for being a Targaryen. If this theory is true, then Jon Snow is really Ned's nephew and the true heir to the Iron Throne. It makes more sense than noble and honorable Ned cheating on Cat.

All this was guessed after the first book came out. Subsequent volumes haven't confirmed the theory, but they have included a few additional clues and Martin is very coy when asked about it.
Old 12-09-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the promise was to take her home and bury her next to Brandon and their father?
Old 12-09-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I thought the promise was to take her home and bury her next to Brandon and their father?
That's the impression left by a casual reading, but if you look at the scene carefully it's rather vague. If you read enough mysteries and long fantasy series, it's the sort of scene that screams, "You'll reread this passage one day and say, 'Of course! He had it planned all along.'"